• Tweets

• Yeah I figured, unlikely I'll need credit anyway mortgage all paid off etc so I'll take that on the chin and learn from the experience. Probably would've beaten that too had I remembered the protocol, first time ever going through the process though sob it wasn't familiar to me  Oh well  
    • This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Beachy v Barclaycard/Mercers take 2

beachcomber60
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone, this is my first post.

I have been considering getting a claim in to Barclays but have been putting it off due to everything being on hold.

I understand that there is an exception if there is genuine hardship - do we now qualify? I have just been made redundant due to my employer going into receivership, although I was employed with them for over ten years I parted company without receiving a penny i.e. no redundancy pay, notice, holiday pay or wages for the previous three weeks. Barclays are hitting me hard in excessive charges, I asked for a small overdraft until i receive the Government funded redundancy package (approx. £5K) however they said no because I am now unemployed. My question is can I claim back excessive charges due to my circumstances

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Beachcomber.

You can reclaim all unlawful penalty charges.

Start by spending a few days (you'll need it) reading the FAQs and the step by step guides. That will answer your initial questions and also give you an idea of how to go about it.

I don't think you'll qualify as a hardship case from what you have posted, but by all means, start your claim without delay.

Claims cases are being stayed at the moment, but when the OFT issue is resolved, your claim will already be in the pipeline.

Use this thread as your "battle-thread" and post any questions you may have here. Also try to keep it up to date with progress reports so that other users will be able to advise you better.

Oh, and welcome to CAG.:D

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Dont now if I am in the right place but here goes.

Have tried making a payment plan with Barclaycard (offered more then personal budget via National Debt Line) they wont entertain any offer and have instructed Mercers to obtain payment from me. I have phoned Mercers and explained the position to them i.e have been made redundant without any redundancy, holiday pay, notice pay or wages and have to go approx 6 weeks before I get the redundancy package (minimum) from the Government, all I get at the moment until this arrives is Jobseekers (£60 a week), Mercers said that the account is on hold for 14 days then someone will call, there is no way I'll have any money by then to get them off my back and in any event cant pay off what they demand in one go. what can I do, we are at our wits end. BC have been making phone calls everyday (the record is 11 on a Sunday). The line in our house is my husbands business line so cannot change the number easily, now Mercers have been given our number by BC we just dont know what to do. Help Please

HI there, I am dealing with Barclaycard on behalf of my partner and had to deal with Mercers like yourself. They will continue calling until they get a payment that suit them.

Someone more experienced should be along to help you soon but in the meantime you ought to consider sending a CCA request to Mercers and possibly a S.A.R. request to Barclaycard and see if there is any unlawful charges you can claim back.

There are numerous threads on here relating to barclaycard so have a read of them.

I am sorry I can be of no further help, but as I said someone else with more experience should be along to you soon.

Hi BC60 and welcome to the BC forum.

Mercers and/or BC will hound you but most of it will be phone calls and hot air. Get used to refusing to answer their security Q's, tell them to communicate in writing only then hang up.

Do you have your statements to show how much you've paid in penalty charges over the last 6 years. If so, work out how much and enter them on a Site spreadsheet. Read the Reclaiming Charges Guide in Link No1 in my signature below.

If you don't have the state's, you'll request them using this letter - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/586-credit-store-card-letter.html It'll cost you £10.

Use Letter N from here to request your Credit Agreement - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-bailiffs-advice/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html It'll cost you £1.00.

Keep copies of all letters incase they are needed as evidence. Send letters by Rec'd Del'y or get a Cert of Posting from the PO which is free.

Don't SIGN your letters - just print or write your name.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks for the reply, I take it that by writing to BC i would be disputing the debt and therefore put Mercers on hold for the time being. With money due in approx. 6 weeks I could pay off the arrears and bring the account back into line. Should I consider asking for a ccj, they wont even entertain a DMP which I have proposed. Until the firm I worked for got into trading problems my financial affairs were spot on every month. We subscribe to the telephone preference service - should I throw this at them if they continue calling.

Hi BC,

The CCA request, if not responded to by BC within the time allowed will put the a/c "in dispute".

There are letters you can send them but it probably want stop them calling altogether. So it's really best if you can just ignore them. Keep a log of every call they make, especially if their time is up to respond to your CCA request.

Should I consider asking for a ccj
Not sure what you mean here. If BC/Mercers get bored waiting for you to pay, they could start action to get a CCJ against you but they're usually slow to do this.

By then, you'll know if they have the nec'y Credit Agreement showing all the "Prescribed Terms". If they don't, they cannot enforce the agreement so they can't take you to court. If they've placed defaults against your credit records they will have to remove them.

This is the reason for demanding sight of the Credit Agreement - without it, or if it doesn't comply, they don't have a leg to stand on and you can repay the debt at a rate which suits your circumstances.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 3 months later...
Morning CAG'ers,

Could anyone advise me of the address to send Barclayloan a ppi reclaim letter.

Has anyone been successful in reclaiming ppi from Barclayloan.

Thanks in advance.

Hi beachcomber i have started a claim with barclayloan

Address i am using is, PERSONAL LOANS FROM BARCLAYS 2ND FLOOR BARCLAYS HOUSE 15-33 MOORFIELDS LIVERPOOL L22RU i hope this helps good luck:)

Hi beachcomber i have started a claim with barclayloan

Address i am using is, PERSONAL LOANS FROM BARCLAYS 2ND FLOOR BARCLAYS HOUSE 15-33 MOORFIELDS LIVERPOOL L22RU i hope this helps good luck:)

Many thanks Dorabell, letter going in the post today.

Good luck with yours.

Hmmm, that sounds interesting and I look forward to you telling us what's in the Terms & Conditions of the PPI element of the loan considering you were self-employed. Exclusion clauses that might have rendered the policy useless come to mind ... but hey, maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit ;)

:)

dont forget you can claim the £10 back at the same time as the charges;)

Really?:eek:

I know SAR gives 40days, but how quick are BC at returning them? Sent mine on 15th.

PPI reclaims:

RBS: Received stat interest on premiums - £2345, awaiting premiums refund (possible offset)

Blackhorse: Confirmed upheld, awaiting letter - circa £2k

Charges reclaimed:

Barclaycard £800 + 8% - Full refund

MBNA £780 (incl. 8%) - full refund

Hi BeachComber,

We suggest sending separate CCA and SAR requests as the banks tend to ignore the Credit Agreement aspect of the SAR.

For the sake of getting what you need more quickly, spend the £2. ;)

However, if you're reclaiming charges, do you need the CCA requests anyway. Just a thought. :)

Have sent cca & sar, seperately, I have been waiting almost two months for a reply, I started to pay what NDL budget planner nothing heard but today phone calls started - 8 in 2 hours. A quick look at my account on line (only 4 months statements available) Ive been hit with £120 in penalty charges for this period alone & a know for sure that there are several £20-25 charges over the past six years, Ive had the cards in excess of ten years.

Question is do I have to wait until the cca sar arrive to put the account in dispute.

Hi BC,

So are you saying you sent CCA request & SAR 2 months back.

Keep a log of the phone calls for a few days. When you think it looks sufficiently embarrassing for them, send this - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/37006-harassment-telephone-response-letter.html

As the a/c's have penalty chgs on them and you've sent off SAR for penalty data, the a/c's can be considered "In Dispute" for the purposes of the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines. Take a look at Link No3 in my signature below - Sections 2.6(a); 2.6(h); 2.8(i) and 2.8(k) would all apply.

You could therefore stop paying now, if you wish.

If you come to deal with reclaiming chgs on the a/c's, please start a new thread for Visa or MC, so the a/c's don't get confused. :)

Thanks Slick, sorry I don't think I explained very well.

I wrote to them about two months ago to say that our finances had hit the buffers and to go on lower payments until things pick up, they did not respond.

CCA & SAR went in yesterdays post, will use this thread for barclaycard & start another for mastercard.

Thanks BC - all is now clear (this forum stuff is a poor substitute for a proper conversation). ;)

The advice in post #8 still applies, though. The a/c is, in your eyes at least, in dispute because the balance contains the penalties. This won't stop them chasing you on a regular basis.

Keep your log of contacts - you'll learn to ignore them and they'll often get bored after a while.

If they're late with the CCA response, then the a/c will be more formally In Dispute.