DCA texting me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6371 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have Mackenzie Hall chasing me for an outstanding bill I am disputing with Powergen.

I Have no idea where Mackenzie Hall obtained my mobile number from, maybe Powergen but I have just received a text message from Mackenzie Hall asking me to call them as a matter of urgency, giving me a telephone number and my reference number.

I have no intention of calling them, whatever they have to say they can put in writing to me.

However, are they allowed to send such text messages, I never gave them my number and I have never expressed an interest in receiving test messages from them either.

Here’s hoping they have broken some rules for me to push back onto them, as I am sure if I don’t take action now it is going to result in text after text after text and calls to my mobile.

Hi Switch,

I think that they have contavened the Data Protection Act.

They are only allowed to discuss or mention details to you.

This is why usually you have the rigmarole of "date of birth", "first line of address /Postcode" etc.,

By sending a text message, how can they be sure that you would have been the one receiving it and not another family member, etc?

This happened with me with Yes Car Credit.

They were sending texts to my mobile phone, but quite often the phone was used by other family members.

I wrote to them and demanded that they do not contact me in this way again. I didnt get any more after that.

Hope this helps,

Buzz.

I will write to them requesting that the text messages stop, and all correspondence should be in writing, and that any other method of communication to me will not be aknowledged or addressed.

After all if the need to contact me was that urgent as they say in the text they sent to me then surley they would have telephoned, rather than sent a text.

After all if the need to contact me was that urgent as they say in the text they sent to me then surley they would have telephoned, rather than sent a text.

Yes but why waste money calling you when they can earn money from you calling them, as they will definitley do if they have an 0870 number.

If they persist with it then there is some good legal ground on which you can complain - There's a thread somewhere here (Bank Action > General?) where it has been discussed and some excellent information given.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

I was surpirised to see from a text received that the number was not an 0870 number, that what I expected it was a normal area dialling code 01563.

I will have a scour about and see if I can find the thread that you refer to.

For any one that is interested the mobile number that they have used on me so far is 07781 488036.

For those with dealings with or suspected dealings with Mackenzie Hall (i.e. you have had the red post card with an urgent please contact message via TNT post) stick the mobile number in your phone book you will know it is Mackenzie Hall before you decide whether to ignore or not.

For those with dealings with or suspected dealings with Mackenzie Hall (i.e. you have had the red post card with an urgent please contact message via TNT post) stick the mobile number in your phone book you will know it is Mackenzie Hall before you decide whether to ignore or not.

Or whether to send it lots of sms's in the early hours of the morning :rolleyes:

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

Didn't think you could send a text from a witheld number?

No point texting the firm. They use computer software to text you for peanuts. Some don't take incoming texts. (Although the image of the office mobile being passed a DCA to text you makes me laugh)

23/05/06 DPA Sent to Halifax

I Love You All :D

You can't send a text from a witheld number, not as far as i'm aware anyway.

I called the number from my land line, prefixed with 141.

Sending text via computer would explain the message though.

Dam

DO NOT RESPOND TO THESE CALLS/MESSAGES IN ANY WAY. EVER.

It is a well known ploy in the DCA industry to try to provoke a response. It's their sneaky way of finding out if you are still around to pursue. Any reply or reponse you make tells them that you are. Never help them to do their job. Ever.

• Confused 1

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

• 1 month later...
DO NOT RESPOND TO THESE CALLS/MESSAGES IN ANY WAY. EVER.

It is a well known ploy in the DCA industry to try to provoke a response. It's their sneaky way of finding out if you are still around to pursue. Any reply or reponse you make tells them that you are. Never help them to do their job. Ever.

THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE EVER, THAT ANYONE SHOULD FOLLOW.

THIS PERSON IS SPOT-ON!!! TAKE NOTE!!! ALL.:) :) :);)

Why would they waste time texting you when they can make money with an 0870 number? Because text messages are reverse-billable. You can double your taking by "accidentally" sending your message twice. Don't know if it's still a problem, but a few years ago fraudsters would randomly send reverse-billed text messages to random phone numbers, in the hope that some of them would land and net them £2 before the target even knew it was coming.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

They text me with an 01563 number for me to call them on.

Yer right i'm really going to phone them, I didn't call and they never text me again so they must have given up on that avenue with me, they then chose to write to me which is by far my preferred method of communication with companies like them.

Switch, You say the debt started from Powergen and you dispute this bill ? .

I can not help much with Mackenzie Hall but I can help with the orriginal problem of Powergen and if we can prove it to be incorrect then Powergen will have to contact DCA and have them with draw the chase for the debt.

Give me some more information, like why you dispute it and how old is the debt etc.

If I miss this post plz pm me link.

Switch, You say the debt started from Powergen and you dispute this bill ? .

I can not help much with Mackenzie Hall but I can help with the orriginal problem of Powergen and if we can prove it to be incorrect then Powergen will have to contact DCA and have them with draw the chase for the debt.

Give me some more information, like why you dispute it and how old is the debt etc.

If I miss this post plz pm me link.

When I moved into the house Powergen were the current suppliers for both the Gas and Electric. The first quarterly bill came through at I think 400 odd pound which I thought was quite high. Bearing in mind the house is not an old house and myself and the OH are out at work all day so the house is empty pretty much from 06:30 to 19:00 Monday to Friday.

I disputed the bill and asked them to come round and check the meter and maybe run a test meter along side mine as this just has to be wrong, I did take the opportunity to give them current meter readings at the time of the telephone call, and from those readings Powergen said the bill was correct. After speaking with residents in the same street whom are at home all day there bills are a lot less.

Powergen refused to come out and said that the meter was fine and it is very unlikley to be at fault, I refused to pay until I had seen what the next quarters bill was, this bill came in at a little under 500 pound during the summer months. Over the course of a year our bills came to a little over 2 grand.

Because I am refusing to pay them that amount they have sent my account to MH, however it dawned on me earlier in the week I have never signed any agreement with Powergen and neither has my OH so a CCA letter has gone off to them asking for a copy of the signed agreement.

Interesting points about the DCAs, things seem to have moved on a bit from a few years ago. I was involved with the doorstep collection side for a short while but was to soft to make it pay. I knew about the office side of things like letters, phone calls and calls to neighbours to get information bit text messages are new to me. The sode i was in was basicaly to help a girlfriends family member who was a field support manager and some of the tricks and might i say dangerous use of peoples data shocked me esspecialy as it was being sent by normal post in there hundreds to self employed collecting agents sometimes so many in an envelope that it would be burst open. It must leave personal data open to all kinds of abuse.

• 2 months later...
Because I am refusing to pay them that amount they have sent my account to MH, however it dawned on me earlier in the week I have never signed any agreement with Powergen and neither has my OH so a CCA letter has gone off to them asking for a copy of the signed agreement.

Not relevant, I'm afraid. firstly, they are a utility, and do not provide credit, so no relevance for the CCA. However, the fact you did not sign up to their supply, doesn't mean you don't have to pay - your use of the supplyt is enough to enforce a court judgement should it go that far.

Meters thermselves are certified for either 10 or 20 years, it might be worth asking them when your meter certification expires. If they do not provide a satisfactory answer, you can then complain to the regulator.

I can understand addresses being passed over to dcas but i am not clear on the mobile numbers being passed on. I received a txt from roxburghe asking me to contact them urgently. I have a pay as-you go so i might switch my number.

There is no issue - the utility passes all relevant info to allow the DCA to contwct and collect hte debt. The DCAs also input and can interrogate the main CRA databases, so additional information - even if not provided by the client of the DCA - can be used in pursuit.