• Tweets

• Now that is an interesting article which adds afew perspective that I hadn't thought significant - but on reflection of the perspectives offered ... Now Starmer is no Blair, however 'blairite he may be perceived, but the Tories aren't tories and aren't even remotely liberal   The fast 'unannounced and unexpected election call from sunack may well be explained by the opinion linked that he hoped reform would be unprepared and effectively call a chunk of Farages largely empty bluster - making him look even more of a prat, leave scope for attacks on shabby reform candidates and mimimise core vote losses to reform - while throwing the 'middle ground' (relative) tories TO THE DOGS - and with the added bonus of likely pacifying his missu' desire to jogg off to sunny cal tout suite somewhat   thumb in the air - I expect about 140ish tory seats, but can hope for under a hundred Reform - got to admit the outside possibility of 1, maybe 2 seats with about 8% of the vote - but unlikely. I think projections of over 10% of the vote for reform is nudged and paid for speculation - but possible with the expected massive drives from Russian, Chinese and far right social media bot and troll prods targeting the gullible.
    • Commentary June 2024 WWW.ELECTORALCALCULUS.CO.UK Interesting article about just how bad it could be for the Tories.  Also Tories could be hoping on Reform not having candidates in many seats, as they were not ready.  
    • Even a Piers Morgan is an improvement and a gutless Farage Piers Morgan calls for second Brexit referendum WWW.THELONDONECONOMIC.COM Piers Morgan and Nigel Farage have faced off over Brexit and a second referendum in a heated reunion on BBC Question Time.   “Why don’t we have another referendum about Brexit?” he questioned. “I seem to remember when 2016 came around we were told there was going to be control of our borders and it was going to be economically beneficial to this country. And eight years later we have lost complete control of our borders… and economically it seems to have been a wilful act of self-harm.”   ... Piers missed off : after all somebody said a 48/52 decision would be "unfinished business" by a long way - was that person just bul lying (again)  
    • when did they (who) inform you there was a 'police case' and when was this attained? i will guess the debt is now SB'd as it's UAE 15yrs. have you informed the bsnk ever by email/letter of your correct and current address? you can always ignore anyone else accept the bank,  Block and bounce back all emails. Block any text messages  Ignore any letters unless it's: - a Statutory Demand - a Letter Of Claim - a Court Claimform via Northants bulk.  
    • I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Repo order help with defence needed.

cosalt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks again everyone, so is it enough then to send a letter to the court ( a copy to the claimant as well presumably ?) Stating something like -

' with reference to the latest information that the claimant has submitted, I note that the claimant is relying on a certified copy of a default notice. However I have in my possesion an original copy of this default notice and it would appear the claimant has altered information on the certified copy in an attempt to make the default notice conform to the requirements laid out in the CCA1974.

As the claimant has clearly falsified documents in order to assist with there claim, they are clearly aware that the original default notice received by myself was totally inadequate, therefore this has resulted in the unlawful termination of the agreement.

Based on the above I would ask that the case be struck out. '

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Cosalt, as Patrick states above you cannot keep this document a secret and then pull it out in court to a fanfare of 'in your face' whilst spitfires fly in formation above and the dancing girls do the can-can behind you :(, as much as I would like to see that :D!

So...disclosure as soon as possible really is needed or the other side can use your trump card against you. At this stage I would compose a letter to the other side, copying it to the court and ensuring it gets there, inviting them to discontinue immediately. I would also propose that they meet all of your wasted costs including your time (@ £9.25 hour for an Lip).

Your acceptance of their discontinuation will also require them to confirm in writing that this alleged debt will not be sold on so that the matter is closed in entirety, you also require all data registered with third party credit reference agencies to be removed.

Your letter example you added here is great, just keep it simple whilst detailing the exact situation. You are quite right to state that if the court learns of this attempt to effectively falsify documents they will be in a great deal of difficulty. You could also remind them that unless they accept you will submit a revised defence and counterclaim for unlawful rescission and injury to credit etc.

As I stated earlier you are in a strong position to compose a counter claim, given their very exposed and vulnerable position they would be daft to pursue this and a counter claim of your own would really put them on the back foot. I suspect very strongly that they would not wish this to go to court (especially if you have a copy of the default they claim was the original) and you could benefit from an out of court settlement in your favour, no doubt offered at the last minute.

I'll read back through your thread as I'm a bit confused as to what's happened in your case to date ;).

Thanks so much again, so basically a letter to the court ( with a copy to the claimant ) stating the facts should be sufficient ? Do I need to write it in 'legal talk' or will plain and simple english be enough. Also should I send a copy of the default notice ?

I am due in court next friday and really don't want to lose because of an error on my part at this late stage, so any help in getting this right is really appreciated.

Cosalt

Just a note, on the original defence they refer to the DN but say they required the default to be remedied within '12 days from date of service' However there was no copy of the DN

I have now noticed other alterations on the copy of the DN they refer to. On the bottom of the second page of the original it says ' A CHARGE OF £35 HAS BEEN MADE FOR THIS SERVICE' on the copy of the dn it has changed to £12 Also the have added the sentence 'note that if you end this agreement, this will not necessarily terminate any insurance finance agreements that are linked to this agreement'

it is plain to see in the DN 1 AND DN2 that they have a very big credibility problem in facing the judge with this case....are you paying PPI as well ?

if so this needs to be looked at in detail....has a commission been paid out on this PPI if so to whome ? and if so you are paying for this with extra charges...

it is plain to see in the DN 1 AND DN2 that they have a very big credibility problem in facing the judge with this case....are you paying PPI as well ?

if so this needs to be looked at in detail....has a commission been paid out on this PPI if so to whome ? and if so you are paying for this with extra charges...

No there is no PPI on this agreement.

Thread moved to Legal Issues.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Ok so will they accept a letter to the court basically saying that the claimant has responded to my defence with a copy of the refered to DN, however the copy they have sent has been altered from the original ( which I have, enclose copy ) in an attempt to make it comply with the CCA1974.

Should I ask for the case to be struck out, and if so how?

Should I send a copy to the claimants solicitor ?

Do I need to quote the relevant parts of the CCA1974 to show that my DN is incorrect and they have changed the numbers ?

Is it ok to just send a letter ?

Anything else I need to know, please help !

Ok so will they accept a letter to the court basically saying that the claimant has responded to my defence with a copy of the refered to DN, however the copy they have sent has been altered from the original ( which I have, enclose copy ) in an attempt to make it comply with the CCA1974.

Should I ask for the case to be struck out, and if so how?

Should I send a copy to the claimants solicitor ?

Do I need to quote the relevant parts of the CCA1974 to show that my DN is incorrect and they have changed the numbers ?

Is it ok to just send a letter ?

Anything else I need to know, please help !

You could apply for the case to be struck out but it will cost you and as time is pressing I'm not sure it would be processed in time anyway - not sure here. Assume AQ's have been and gone, you could have requested strike out here for free but not sure what you may have put here.

I would certainly send a copy of the default you have to the claimant explaining how it differs to their own and asking them to explain why they have submitted a supposed 'original' DN that is clearly very different to the actual original. Yours is the original remember as it was sent to you, theirs is not. If you can persuade them to discontinue that would be a whole lot easier and quicker for you. As detailed in my earlier post invite them to discontinue insisting on the other points I added too.

Heck, if they wish to go to court when you can show that 'somehow' :rolleyes: (you can't make an accusation of fraud really) the supposed DN they have is different to the actual one you have that's up to them. It undermines their case and their credibility immediately.

As for quoting CCA law you need to have it all in your defence so you can refer to it. Ideally in your defence you would have composed it in a logical order with the 'Default Notice' having its own section. This is where you would detail the requirements of a DN and explain how the DN they have issued is invalid, again backed up. You would also put the claimant to strict proof that the DN they sent was valid.

If they produce the 'new one' you can ask the judge to compare it to the original you have and coyly ask the claimant to explain why the one they have submitted differs to the actual original and comment that this new one appears to be different 'as if its been amended to try and make it compliant'. You don't need to appear accusatory, the facts speak for themselves.

Sometimes you need to lead the horse to the water, the vast majority of the time the horse will start to drink and if it doesn't just point them in the right direction as the horse is almost always thirsty ;).

You can always send a letter, communication is always welcomed and in essence if you can reach settlement without court intervention all the better in most cases. Just make sure both the court and the other side are equally informed. Also, and given the unique nature of the claimants' gaff in your case the fact you've offered the claimant a sporting opportunity to discontinue with the declaration of this default notice issue before the hearing is favourable to you on a costs basis too. You couldn't have been more reasonable basically.

Just ensure in your defence (in case the claimant is daft enough to view this DN issue as unimportant) that you are absolutely up to speed on the importance of the Default Notice. It's a legal document etc, has to be correct in order for the claimant to enjoy certain rights, invalid default means claimant has no right to action etc.

Have you read up on this? How good is your defence? Is all of this stated clearly and referenced? Have you produced three copies of your paperwork, one for you in court, one for the judge and one for the other side?

Below is a copy of their witness statement....

1. I am employed as a Collections Manager by Carlyle Finance of Lambourne House, Lambourne Crescent, Llanishen, Cardiff, CF14 5GL. I have complete Authority to act on behalf of the Claimant and have full access to file details.

2. On or around the 25th July 2006 the Defendant entered into a Hire Purchase Agreement (“the Agreement”) numbered -------- with the Claimant in respect Of a Iveco Daily commercial vehichle (“the Vehicle”) registration number ----

3. Under the terms of the Agreement, the cash price of the vehicle was £8,225.00 Following the addition of interest, credit facility fee and a completion fee, the Total balance repayable was £9, 280.08. A Deposit of £1,925.00 was paid by The Defendant, and the balance payable under the Agreement was £7,355.08. This balance was to be discharged by means of 35 consecutive monthly Repayments in the sum of £204.03 commencing one month after the date of The Agreement followed by one final payment of £214.03 commencing 36 months after the Agreement date. I now refer to a copy of the Agreement produced and shown to me marked “CRI”.

4. The Defendant maintained payments on account of the Agreement until December 2008 after which time payments ceased and arrears were accrued on account in breach of the terms of the Agreement. It must be noted that no further payments have been received to date. I now refer to a Statement of account produced and shown to me marked “CR2”.

5. By way of letter dated 1st March 2009, the Claimant was forced to issue a Default Notice served pursuant to section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act. The Defendant failed to remedy the breach and the Claimant terminated the Agreement on a date after the specified 18 days had expired. I now refer to a copy of the Default Notice and letter of Termination produced and shown to Me marked “CR3”.

6. The Defendant avers that the 4 working days must be required allowing for service of the Default notice. The Claimant contends that the Consumer Credit Act 1974 amended 2006 does not specify any required time to allow service of the said Notice and that 18 days is suitably compliant. In any event, the Claimant did not terminate the Agreement until a date after the 18 days and at no time has the Defendant attempted to remedy the breach detailed within that Notice.

7. The Defendant claims that the arrears detailed with the Default notice is incorrect and states that two installments totalling £408.06 were due. The Claimant joins issue that two installments were outstanding but the Defendant fails to take into account the contractual charge applied to the Agreement account in the sum of £3.20 relating to the delinquent status of the account And further states that the arrears sum stated of £411.26 is correct.

8. The Defendant states that the total amount paid as shown on the notice of £7,637.65 is incorrect maintaining that he had paid the sum of £7637.84. The Claimant refers to CR2 and specifically the entry of 23 February 2009 being a journal of £0.19 relating to a VAT adjustment, this being the difference in amount. In the circumstances the Claimant contends that the aforesaid journal does offset against monies received against the Agreement account and the outstanding balance shown on the Notice of £1,679.14 is therefore correct.

9. The Claimant asserts that it Default Notice meets all criteria required of it and that the Defendants assertions do not constitute and real defence of the Claim.

10. The Claimants Claim against the Defendant is twofold. Firstly, it claims the return of its goods and secondly monies due under the Agreement. The Claimant believes that, as the Defendant does not dispute that it has failed to maintain payments as agreed, there can be no Defence to the Claimants right To immediate possession of the goods and therefore to an Order made for their return. The monetary claim cannot be ascertained until the goods have been recovered and disposed of and the sale proceeds credited to the Defendants account.

11. The Claimant argues that all material times the Defendant was made aware of the action required by him in order to resolve the situation, indeed his failure to remedy the breach detailed with the Default notice directly lead to the Claimants acceptance of the Defendants repudiation of the Agreement and to this subsequent action.

12. The Defendant does not dispute that monies remain due and owing in respect of the Agreement account and the despite the Defendants protestations, no payment has been received against the Agreement account since the Default notice was issued.

13. In the circumstances, I respectfully request this Honourable Court to dismiss the Counterclaim and grant Judgement in favour of the Claimant for the forthwith return of its goods and for its monetary claim be adjourned generally pending the recovery, resale and crediting of the net proceeds of sale to the Defendant account.

• 1 month later...

Update time, went for repo hearing, adjourned for both parties to submit any further documents and for the judge to look up the satute on default notices and termination.

Have been trying to negotiate settlement with the claimant but they are not interested in anything but a few pounds off.

So back in court for a 1 hour hearing this afternoon. !!

Have tried to limit the details I post because of 'guests', but with reading lots of info and help from a fellow cagger feel reasonably well prepared to win this.

However I am aware despite a faulty DN being, according to most people, a perfect defence, I am aware the judge could still be difficult and losing is a posibility.

cosalt

Good luck, Cosalt.. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Well......I lost, basically the judge said the default notice was more than adequate as it carried the title 'default notice' so it was clear what it meant.

He asked me if I owed the money and I said yes prior to the claimant unlawfully terminating the agreement. He then said could I pay the balance I said no, he then ordered a judgement against me for immediate repo of the vehicle.

I did all my homework, quoted for the CCA but he didnt care.

Beware anyone who is depending on a dodgy DN as it clearly doesnt matter.

Appeal ? Probably not, at the moment I am just sick to death of it all.

I am now waiting for all the posters to say I must have done something wrong, I wonder how many of them have actually sat in front of the judge?????

Cosalt

Well looks like my agreement is terminated, the 14 days has passed and they said if I did not pay within that time then this default notice is formal notice that they will terminate.

So to summarise,

1/ I have an agreement where I have been charged interest on the arrangement fee, but there are no prescribed terms.

2/ I have been defaulted and terminated with only 11 days notice.

3/ The default notice is worded incorrectly

4/ The arrears amount is higher than the payments I have missed

What do you think I should do next ? Wait and see if they take court action or write and tell them of the errors, after all they can't reinstate a terminated agreement.

Cosalt

Sorry to hear this cosalt.. :(however, I dont understand how.. if the dn was dodgy then that in itself was a complete defence. Perhaps wait for others to comment.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi CB, thanks for the support.

The problem is he said the DN was not faulty, I had laid out the relevant sections of the CCA in a way a child could understand in every step of my defence and followed all the procedures however he obviously read it but didnt care.