• Tweets

• As a rough guess it would be your landlord who would be responsible. But you need to understand the extent of your losses before you can begin any claim. This means that you need to list out any expenses to which you have been put, any expenses which would be associated with repairing damage or cleaning et cetera. And then list out the inconvenience to which you have been put as a result of this. Any actual expenses – money loss which has been incurred already all that is likely to be incurred in result of repairs will need an inspection and to quotations which eventually you will present to the landlord. Even if I'm wrong and it is not the landlord – you will still need the evidence that I have listed above in order to begin any claim.  
    • Hi, I have been renting a three bedroom, top floor flat for six years now in England. Just so you know, there is a letting agent, landlord and a block management company involved. Eighteen months ago we had a considerable leak in one of the bedrooms, affecting the next door bedroom as well but not as badly. This led to a lot of damage to the ceiling and the formation of mould within the first bedroom and to a lesser extent in the second bedroom. As far as we are aware, the leak has only recently been sorted by the block management company(who owns the roof etc…) Just over three weeks ago, a large inspection hole was cut into the ceiling, the workmen (instructed to come by block management) who undertook the work did not put any dust sheets down over any of the furniture, causing an incredible amount of dirt and debris throughout the entire flat, rendering the room unusable. We were left on a Friday afternoon with a gaping hole and no instruction as to what was going to happen next. Only after contacting our letting agent to inform them about the state of the bedroom had been left in, with a gaping hole and bits of debris falling, did they come to do a temporary fix to cover the hole which was after a week. As the bedroom is still unusable. My daughter has for more than three weeks been sleeping in the lounge. The letting agent did offer to get the place cleaned, but we see no point until the job has been completed. My landlord has reduced my rent by £200 for the past couple of months and is now wanting full rent regardless of the work being incomplete. A plan has been put in place, however, we have not been given a timeline for when these will be completed and this could take some considerable time. In addition to this, there was a leak in the kitchen but this was very minor, and we have a major condensation issue in the bathroom as the extractor fan is apparently not strong enough so the ceiling is covered in mould which is now being revealed as the paint is flaking off. The problem we have is that the building (roof etc..) is managed by a block management company. My letting agent has basically said that the damage is the responsibility of the block management and this nothing to do with the landlord, and therefore, does not want to give us any compensation. What are my rights as a tenant in this situation? Am I entitled to a continued rent reduction or additional compensation given the ongoing uninhabitable condition of the bedroom and the disruption this has caused? I have attached photos as supporting evidence and would be very grateful for your advice. https://imgur.com/a/yfm4FP9 Should you require any further information, please let me know. Thanks in advance! 😁👍
    • I have just read it again and I see that you say that you are going to be claiming for time and stress. This is not recoverable loss so I think that you should leave it out.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Why is no one claiming the contractual rate of interest???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Mad Nick If I understand you I think your wrong as to go into unauthorised debit attracts a much higher rate of interest usually described as the 'purchase rate'

As you say you should have any charges which have been added to your account together with any subsequent interest refunded

If you HAVE paid the penalty charges, and the interest, then you can claim not only the charges but also the interest. Both the charges & the interest should be added together then contractual compound interest, as per their unauthorised rate, added for them 'borrowing' your money unlawfully........bit of a double whammy

Mmmmmm. Agree that unauthorised > authorised - I've made that point myself re Bank Accounts. Milly's is a credit card account, so I had sort of put that issue on one side, but, of course, it would also depend what her credit limit was.

But I still don't see "contractual interest" as something on top of charges + interest on charges. I see at as any interest which they applied iaw with the contract. So that covers the interest on the charges and the interest on the "remaining" balance. My point (and we might well be in violent agreement but just using different terminology) is that the interest on the "remaining" balance would be valid unless, without the charges, the balance would have been in "better" zones (eg credit not authorised overdraft, authorised not unauthorised) and therefore had a lower interest rate applied to it - and so there is some more interest you can claim. Regards, Mad Nick

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can totally see your point about interest since closing the account in Feb 06, but can you be a bit more specific about the relative size of your charges and average balance (how dare I ask a lady such a question) ? Which of these two extremes was your account like :

1. Charges totalling £100 on a balance always >£1,000 debit (like mine)
  2. Charges totalling £100 on a balance which was sometimes

Under 1, you can claim charges + contractual interest on the charges, but the charges have made no difference to the fact that you would have been charged interest on the remaining balance. Goldfish would be right, for the wrong reasons.

Under 2, you can claim charges + contractual interest on the charges, but the charges have led to you paying interest which, but for the charges, you wouldn't have paid. Goldfish would be wrong, and you should write back along those lines, perhaps also asking them to convince you by calculating for you what your balance would have been on Feb 06 had the charges not been levied. Regards, Mad Nick

Ello Mad Nick:D

Im a lady oh thankyou :) beats being called 'her':D

I believe I am number one and possibly two sometimes,as I paid the balances of twice.

I am claiming contractual in this instance ,the reason is that my payments were used to pay the charges and not the balance, therefore the interest was charged again on the balance instead of it being less if no charge had been there. When I paid them up in Feb2006 they had the lot.

I hope this makes sense!!!!!!!!!

Milly X

CAPITAL ONE (O/H!): Won £1864.63 including contractual :D

GE MONEY: WON £266.00

Mad Nick, My credit limit was £5K. I never went over it though. I was a habitual late payment fee person, because I never checked my statements, just used to pay them every month through internet banking and was a day or two late. I must add though they charged late fees for no reason sometimes, have the proof on some of my statements. I paid them a week early sometimes and they still charged a late fee:confused:

I am claiming contractual in this instance ,the reason is that my payments were used to pay the charges and not the balance, therefore the interest was charged again on the balance instead of it being less if no charge had been there.
You were indeed charged more in £, but it's (presumably) the same % interest as you are already claiming back on the charges. So they're the same thing.

Then there's the issue of, without the charges, would your balance have attracted a lower % ? From what you say, yes, but likely to be a small figure and in practice a nightmare to work out accurately (ie avoid challenge). I have the same issue on my not inconsiderable current account overdraft but I have decided to just concentrate on the interest on the charges not the delta interest on the balance had the charges not been levied. HTH. Regards, Mad Nick

mad nick I don't think there is any disagreement between us but to try & clarify assuming the unlawful charges plus interest HAVE been paid then they should be added together THEN compound contractual interest applied.

eg Penalty charges £100, assuming 1 year unauthorised borrowing interest say 25%pa total £125 then add another 25%pa total £156.25

If the charges nor interest have NOT been paid then the claim should only consist of the charges & actual interest debited to the account. You may have a claim in 2 parts 1 part where the charges & interest have been paid & another 2nd part in which they have not

JonCris,

eg Penalty charges £100, assuming 1 year unauthorised borrowing interest say 25%pa total £125 then add another 25%pa total £156.25
I've highlighted the bit I have a problem with. Aren't we just claiming back what they unlawfully took off us ?

If the charges nor interest have NOT been paid then the claim should only consist of the charges & actual interest debited to the account.
If, by "paid", you mean the balance is still in unauthorised overdraft, then I agree with you.

You may have a claim in 2 parts 1 part where the charges & interest have been paid & another 2nd part in which they have not
Not sure I understood.

Regards, Mad Nick

Sorry to Butt in here guys, but I think you might all find this VERY interesting !!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/post-467620.html

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Me neither so lets give up before I turn to drink.................or worse

Regards Jon

Sorry - been away for a bit :rolleyes:

Skimming through the above, I'm wondering whether the confusion here is between claiming back the apportioned interest that Milly was charged on the penalties - or claiming contractual interest on the whole of her claim for penalty charges. This does cause confusion.

If the good lady ;) is claiming back the apportioned interest, then she will have to enter on her spready the details of interest and balance for each and every month she had the account, since the first penalty charge. The spready will then work out how much interest she was charged on those penalties, and then it will work out how much contractual interest she can now add to her claim with respect to that apportioned interest. However, unless she has a helluva lot of such charges, then this often doesn't amount to very much in relation to the claim as a whole, and IMO it may well not be worth the effort (or the argument !!!)

If, however, the honourable member is only talking about claiming back:

a. the penalty charges, and

b. contractual interest on all of those,

then somebody better go and yank JonCris out of the pub !!

Madame simply punches the charges into her spready. Then punches in the date of claim and the current contractual interest rate, et voilá - Robert is then indeed your dad's brother !!

Unless I (quite possibly) didn't see it, it seems that we oughtta get that straight, first.

Can you tell us, that, Milly ?

Just wondering if anyone can clarify the contractual interest situation.I have read all the threads and can't seem to find a clear direction.

I obviously would like to claim the contractual rate this as I was overdrawn for most of charges. However there seem to be several different opinions on this, some claim the max rate charged (34%), some the lowest (18%), some the current (18.8%) and others variable throughout the term.

I understand there is no concrete answer, just want to well advised direction if possible.

Can the contractual rate be used when unfair charges were placed when I was not in overdraft? Also is it correct to charge them that rate up to the date of the prelim letter or should it be when the balance reached zero? (if it has). Any help greatly appreciated thanks

Sorry if you got ignored, Agar !

It is generally accepted, I believe, that the contractual rate applied is the rate currently being charged by the bank, and this may be charged on all the penalties you are claiming - from the date of the very first one right up until the date of your claim (and even eventual settlement).

I always recommend claiming the higher ("unauthorised") rate primarily, but claim lower rate(s) and Statutory "in the alternative" if/when you file a claim in court. My post just above might also help you.

Bill. :)

Hi BillK: Thanks for your reply.

Which link bounced? The www.yourname.go2.to? this was just an example and nothing behind it. IF anyone would like the free website then just pm me your choice of name. I will set it up with a control panel you can even ftp within the panel and add goodies like chat room, create email etc. I can create a subdomain unless you have a domain name already, then you need to point to our server takes a day or two to propergate. Subdomian is instant.

Bill: Did you manage to look at janq's spreadies? :)

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Hi BillK: Thanks for your reply.

Which link bounced? The www.yourname.go2.to? this was just an example and nothing behind it. IF anyone would like the free website then just pm me your choice of name. I will set it up with a control panel you can even ftp within the panel and add goodies like chat room, create email etc. I can create a subdomain unless you have a domain name already, then you need to point to our server takes a day or two to propergate. Subdomian is instant.

Bill: Did you manage to look at janq's spreadies? :)

LOL - What a jerk !!! So it is !! It just goes to show I'll click anything that looks like a freebie. Serves me right if I get lumbered with every toolbar and virus that's going !! I'll PM you about it, thanks. My fileshare facility is playing up at the mo, so I'm v. interested.

Yeah I looked at JQ's spreadies. Although they're entitled "Compounded Monthly" they're not actually calculating compound interest. They simply add up the interest charged on a cumulative monthly basis. Good for the use they were intended, I reckon, but not really for calculating contractual interest on our penalties here. They could be adapted though, and I'd be glad to do so if Jan wanted me to, as they're another format of spready that people might like to use.

BillK

Nevos - the free website you mention would be ideal for this stuff, if that's possible. I'll follow your link.
Im wondering if I can create a site for all to use so everyone has the user name and password identical CAG admin could then choose any uploads for their site if they feel they are of use. (Had a thought on this: until i can add a gateway for file upload then members could email the files to be uploaded to start with, I will put a link for that upload).

Im happy to provide commercial web sites from £5 per month for CAG members and even donate 50% of the proceeds to CAG.

Have created a site to test out CAG Members

Perhaps a MOD could comment on this idea in case it is not acceptable to CAG admin, thanks!

:)

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Ooooooh tangerine and blue my youngest's football team colours,

More importantly how did you do that? is it difficult can i pm you(seriously).

AL:)

-------------------------

CAPITAL ONE * SETTLED*31st Oct 06

HBOS *SETTLED* 8th Oct 06

WOOLWICH *SETTLED*12thJan2007

Monument (Barclays) *SETTLED*10thMar2007

Sorry - been away for a bit :rolleyes:

Skimming through the above, I'm wondering whether the confusion here is between claiming back the apportioned interest that Milly was charged on the penalties - or claiming contractual interest on the whole of her claim for penalty charges. This does cause confusion.

If the good lady ;) is claiming back the apportioned interest, then she will have to enter on her spready the details of interest and balance for each and every month she had the account, since the first penalty charge. The spready will then work out how much interest she was charged on those penalties, and then it will work out how much contractual interest she can now add to her claim with respect to that apportioned interest. However, unless she has a helluva lot of such charges, then this often doesn't amount to very much in relation to the claim as a whole, and IMO it may well not be worth the effort (or the argument !!!)

If, however, the honourable member is only talking about claiming back:

a. the penalty charges, and

b. contractual interest on all of those,

then somebody better go and yank JonCris out of the pub !!

Madame simply punches the charges into her spready. Then punches in the date of claim and the current contractual interest rate, et voilá - Robert is then indeed your dad's brother !!

Unless I (quite possibly) didn't see it, it seems that we oughtta get that straight, first.

Can you tell us, that, Milly ?

Ello bill-k:)

Correct one is just the penalty charges and then the spready works out the contractual interest on all those. Vamp's spready no 13.

Madame.... you cheeky ape!!!:D

Hi Bill-K

A couple of things I would like admin to endorse the idea, I dont want to stand on anyones toeas here.

If admin think it is a reasonable idea then, I need to install a gateway for folks to upload files or for now, files can be emailed to me and I will upload them with links to the various areas like spreadsheets folder etc...

Waiting for a green light however, I will develop the site more with some ideas.

:)

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Guys, get your lips around this post!

KAZZAW v Lloyds Asset Card - EVERYONE READ POST 15 !!!!!!

General Form of Judgment or Order

To the Claimant

kazzaw

Before District Judge ................. sitting at Lincoln County Court.

EX PARTE

IT IS ORDERED THAT

The Court of its own motion is considering striking the Defence out as an abuse of process on the basis that it has settled all previous claims of this nature. If the Defendant objects to this course of action it is to file at Court within 14 days, a Schedule setting out a list of all claims it has pursued to trial and all claims it has settled.

Dated 28 December 2006

Wooooooow!

That would be a true beaut.

Oh yum yum.

Oh gobble gobble.

I am so happy I could evacuate.

That is absolutely fantastic.

I wonder if they'll reply?

W

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

Correct it will be a County Court which will NOT set a precedent but you can quote it in any litigation, when the case is settled, YOUR bringing against the bank or card companies.

Of course the court can ignore it but on the other hand they may be minded to issue a simular order (particularly in the case of Lloyds) with a view to saving court time

Hi JonCris,

Thanks for confirming to me what I already thought!

But doesn't this make the likelyhood of the Banks ever defending a probable losing Test Case, which would surely help our cause more, seem even more remote?

...and just encourage them to carry on with the same old type of "discouragement" which they are engaging in already?!

...Albeit to an earlier point, than that which they have done previously with some Claimants, within the Court process?!!