• Tweets

• Late scramble for candidates  The Conservative Party, having been taken by surprise by its leader calling an election four months earlier than expected, still has to find 32 candidates in seats it currently holds, according to Michael Crick, who is keeping a tally.    If we assume that half of those will be lost, that means there are 16 safe Tory seats going for candidates favoured by party HQ, including, presumably, for Ric Holden, the Tory party chair, whose NW Durham seat has been abolished.        Lucy Allan, (CON) MP for Telford, who announced last year that she would be standing down, endorsed the Reform UK candidate in her seat – she was suspended as a Conservative for her last four days as an MP, until the dissolution of parliament on Thursday.     - Independent View from Westminster         and for the record ..   Rishi Sunak tells ITV “it’s just simply not true” that he is planning to leave the UK if he loses the election: “This is my home. I mean, my football team just got promoted back in the Premiership and I hope to be watching them for years to come in the Premier League”   Alongside all the tosh hes spinning on the defection trail - Sounds like hes looking to challenge Boris for his 'The Liar' award.
    • I have been in the motor trade for 35 years and have used hundreds of companies for a variety of repairs, only once have i had a major problem which i sorted out in County Court and won. I had a Vauxhall Insignia with an engine fault and advertised on 1st Choice car repairs site for a repair.  Jack, actually his alias Lee contacted us with a quote which we accepted. We transported the car to Unit 4/18 Burnt Mills Road North Benfleet SS129JX expecting its return within the promised 28 days. I have had every excuse you could possibly imagine, in the last 2 YEARS!! as to why the car is not repaired. Ecu faults, Ignition faults, Gearbox faults, Exhaust faults, Wiring chaffing faults, Communication faults, Cancer treatment delaying the repair, medical treatment in Turkey delaying the repair, Covid delaying the repair!! The man is a pathological liar and a fraud. He is now refusing to tell me where the car is and refusing me access to collect it. He is under investigation by trading standards dept Jasper Singh officer in the case but he just keeps getting away with it. Police say its a civil debt and not a criminal offence. 1st choice do not want to know, they refuse to do anything other than request the car be repaired directly by UK169 which is of course ignored I found recently all the posts on this site about Jack and his tactics but it was too late. To date i am £6200 out of pocket to this man and it appears the law is powerless to deal with dishonest rogues.
    • The missing parcel is Evri uk , it was going from Shropshire to Cornwall and has gone missing.   but it got me wondering as i also sent a parcel abroad the same day if that had gone missing where would i stand ...    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

beck_2008/Help-being threatened over arrears.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5306 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have copied someone's problem here as they posted it in the wrong section.

Beck_2008:

hi im new to this site today so not sure if im doing it right. i am having problems with brighthouse right now due to there lack of sympathy and general understanding of everyday occurances. well me and my ex split up and it was decided that instead of paying maintanence he would pay my 40 pound a week brighthouse agreement, as i moved away from the area (which i did not tell brighthouse till friday, as my ex was paying) i then get 7 missed calls on my mobile from another mobile number i call back and its the store manager who very rudily informs me that my ex hadn't paid for 10 weeks and i owed 230 pound that has to be paid asap or they will repocess the goods even tho i have paid well over three quarters of the agreements. she also informed (threatened) me that these debt collectors are not people to be messed with especially when im pregnant and have 2 young children. i am now to scared to leave the house or answer the door and this is making me physically ill! please can someone advice me on what i should do as i wont let them take things when ive nearly finished paying them off i just cant afford to pay the arrears or weekly payments as i had to leave my job and am now only on basic benefits with no help from the childrens father should. please please help if anyone can thank you

They CANNOT just take your items as you have paid over three quarters of the agreement. Write a letter to head office (address in useful information) and your local branch (send by recorded delivery to both) requesting that all telephone calls/home visits cease and that in future all communications should be made in writing. Include the nature of the telephone calls, stating threats, frequency etc. Also, inform trading standards of your situation and send them a copy of your letter. Make sure, at the bottom of your letter to Brighthouse, you put "cc local trading standards". If they still persist on contacting you, trading standards will at least be aware of the situation. This kind of harassment is against the law and you are protected as a consumer. See here for example letter - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/37006-harassment-telephone-response-letter.html

Now, their threat to send baliffs/cease goods - first, they MUST issue you with a default notice before they can take any further action. However, as you have paid over 3/4 of your agreements off, they would HAVE to obtain a court order to cease your goods. They cannot enter your home forcibly/remove goods without your permission. I have read through a few of the problems on this forum, and it is from this that I can tell you that Brighthouse rarely, if ever, take people to court. Please read Lefty's fact sheet which should help ease your mind.

Above all please do not panic or worry. The law is on your side and people on here will happily give you the help you need!

Edited by clemma
  • Haha 1

They threatened my wife like that she said fine send someone but make sure my hubbys not here as hes a 19 stone prop forward so dont expect them to work for a while after, she also told them to apply to the courts for a court order and i will come to court and show the judge what you really like

Funny thing is after me challenging them now had a chq off them happy days

Regards DK

Please Tip My Scales if Info was Use full

i've done the harassment letter. is there anything else i can do as i cant afford to pay my arrears of 230 or my weekly payments ali can pay is 10 a week and i know they wont accept that. do i just offer it, they will turn it down then just let them take me to court if they want as i have paid over three quarters of the agreements

Have you spoken to the store and asked about installments? They will more than likely refuse, but it is best you ask them first before sending the following letter (thanks to Lefty):

Account(s) number(s) XXXXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I have recently been experiencing some financial difficulties and, as a result, have fallen behind with my weekly payments to BrightHouse. This is most regrettable, so please accept my apologies

I do not wish to return the goods voluntarily, and as I cannot afford to pay this amount in one instalment, I would like to offer the sum of £(reasonable amount) per week on top of my regular weekly payment of £XX to clear my arrears over the next XX weeks. This payment plan can start immediately.

I have made this proposal (and made an offer of payment) at my local store, but my payment was refused. I was told that BrightHouse will not/cannot accept “part payments”. This “policy” only places my account(s) further into arrears and invokes further penalty charges. I find this both immoral, unfair and in direct contravention to OFT guidelines regarding the collection of debt.

Naturally, I hope you will accept my offer (above) and allow me time to bring my account(s) up to date in both a fair and affordable way. Of course, by accepting my offer, and by me maintaining regular payments (on time) you agree NOT to apply any further “penalty” or “late payment” charges to my account(s).

Please confirm in writing your acceptance or refusal of my offer in order for me to make the necessary payment arrangements, or to prepare for my defence in the County Court as appropriate.

Kindest Regards

YOU

cc - BrightHouse local store

your local Trading Standards (this never hurts)

You will have to pay your normal weekly payment in addition to any payment plan they accept.

There is also the possibility of asking them for an account re-set, so the arrears are placed on to the end of your agreement. BH will probably prefer to reset your agreement than take you to court (as they would have to to reclaim their goods).

You should think very carefully before agreeing to this, because you risk losing all the rights you have accrued regarding repossession and early settlement, making it easier for BrightHouse to repossess their goods should you get into difficulty again.

If you do decide to accept an account re-set, use the following letter and make sure the store manager signs it. Attach it to your new agreement

Original agreement number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

New Agreement number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Date

Updated agreement to reflect Account Re-Set

IMPORTANT Payments made previously on this agreement (XX payments to date representing XX of the total amount payable) are to be reflected, and form part of, any revised agreement.

All rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 regarding, in particular, “early settlement” and “repossession” as set out in section J of the original agreement remain intact and continue uninterrupted into any revised agreement.

Signed - YOU

(Print name)

Signed - Store Manager (for and on behalf of Caversham Finance trading as BrightHouse)

(print name)

I recently used this letter when I reset my account after taking off service cover and damage liabilty cover.

I hope some of this helps.

THey wont take you to court they dont like it just write a letter oulining your problem to head office and has you have a family and other bills to pay thats all you can afford also i would state that if this not exceptable you are prepaered to go to court and let a judge decide how much i can afford to pay stating this would be a lot lower

Regards DK

THey wont take you to court they dont like it just write a letter oulining your problem to head office and has you have a family and other bills to pay thats all you can afford also i would state that if this not exceptable you are prepaered to go to court and let a judge decide how much i can afford to pay stating this would be a lot lower

Regards DK

Or do this! BH won't take you to court as the law is more favourable towards you as you have almost paid these agreements off!

Hi

All good advice.

BrightHouse should have, by now, sent you an "official" default notice (you will recognise this, as it's dressed up to look like a court summons - which it absolutely ISN'T - and will list your arrears and dates of missed payments.)

Also, if they are following the new rules laid down to them by head office (under pressure from the Office of Fair Trading) you will also have received an information sheet about dealing with debt. If you haven't received this information sheet let me know, and I will scan it and post it here.

Cheers

Lefty

PS - to all posters on this thread... You're doing a great job! I am still keeping a careful eye on everything, but keeping a low profile. All will be revealed very soon! ;)

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

• 1 month later...

Hi

Can you help me?

I too am having problems with Brighthouse.

In november 08 I got a re-set on my account as I had fallen into arrears.

From that time (after reading all the info on this site) I cancelled the optional service charge so now pay £9.94 a week which I paid in advance for the month of november. Then at the beginning of december I paid 4 weeks in advance, then at the start of january 09 I only paid one week. I have missed a payment and am due to pay by the close of business today £19.88 plus £2.70 late payment charge. I telephoned Brighthouse this morning to tell them that I wouldn't be able to make the payment today as I don't have any money in my bank account but that I gat paid on wednesday 22nd and will go in store on that day and pay my arrears plus a month in advance. The manager told me that this was not acceptable and that if I didn't pay the £19.88 plus £2.70 by close of business today then on monday someone would come to my house to collect my computer. I told him that he could not do this as I knew my rights and anyway I would pay on wednesday (in 4 days time!) and he said that because my account is re-set and I owe £798 then they could and would take my computer. When I said that if someone does come to my house and try to take my computer I would phone the police, he replied that HE would phone the police to let them know that I was keeping something that doesn't belong to me. The logical part of my brain is telling me that he's just trying to scare me, but there's another part that is now really worried. Can anyone help?

Hi

Can you help me?

I too am having problems with Brighthouse.

In november 08 I got a re-set on my account as I had fallen into arrears.

From that time (after reading all the info on this site) I cancelled the optional service charge so now pay £9.94 a week which I paid in advance for the month of november. Then at the beginning of december I paid 4 weeks in advance, then at the start of january 09 I only paid one week. I have missed a payment and am due to pay by the close of business today £19.88 plus £2.70 late payment charge. I telephoned Brighthouse this morning to tell them that I wouldn't be able to make the payment today as I don't have any money in my bank account but that I gat paid on wednesday 22nd and will go in store on that day and pay my arrears plus a month in advance. The manager told me that this was not acceptable and that if I didn't pay the £19.88 plus £2.70 by close of business today then on monday someone would come to my house to collect my computer. I told him that he could not do this as I knew my rights and anyway I would pay on wednesday (in 4 days time!) and he said that because my account is re-set and I owe £798 then they could and would take my computer. When I said that if someone does come to my house and try to take my computer I would phone the police, he replied that HE would phone the police to let them know that I was keeping something that doesn't belong to me. The logical part of my brain is telling me that he's just trying to scare me, but there's another part that is now really worried. Can anyone help?

Brighthouse absolutely CANNOT enter your home and remove their goods without your consent - even if you haven't paid more than one third of the agreement. They STILL need a RETURN order issued by a county court. Even then they STILL do not have the right to enter your home by force.

Now then, with that out of the way, let's see if we can help...

How far into your ORIGINAL agreement are you? With £798 still left to pay I would assume well over half way?

Do you still have a copy of your original agreement? If not, ask for a copy of it from your store - they have to supply you with it (they can, if they wish, impose a small charge for this). This agreement (combined with your new re-write agreement) is proof of how much in total you have paid - and is undisputable.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. If they turn up on Monday just tell them bugger off, and make your payment when you can.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

I wouldn't worry if I were you. If they turn up on Monday just tell them bugger off, and make your payment when you can.

Give them this letter, just before you slam the door on them as well:

Dear Sir/Madam

Account Ref xxxx

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing.

Should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Yours faithfully

Hi

I have the original and re set agreement. I took out my original agreement in may 2008 and re-set in november as they wouldn't accept my offer of paying £10 per week arrears plus £9.94 a week ( I was £70 odd in arrears and at that time was paying DLC and optional cover). After looking on this forum I used your template to remove the insurance and then they got really ****ty with me and said they would rest NOT accept my arrears payments. Like a fool I agreed as I really need the computer for work and for my son's school work. I hate the way they use scare tactics on people like me who are on low incomes and have no other way of purchasing expensive goods. I wish I knew then what I knew now, then I'd be more forceful when dealing with them.

Thanks, I'm going to do that now. Am so glad I found this site, I wonder how many other people in my position are being threatened like this? I can't believe they can get away with it!

You'll be surprised! I was a timid little BH customer until I found this site. You will find all the help you need here :)

Clemma! Timid???

Who are you and what have you done with the real Clemma!!!

:p

PlumberJon :-D

UNUS VIR OBVIAM ORBIS TERRARUM

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

I just give advice, I can't do it for you though!!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!

I went into my new store last week looked at a sofa bloke was there like a shot and it goes like this

Hi can i help you

Yes how much is this

599 sir

hey love thats not bad 599

is that all 599 we il have it

Ok sir we need to do the agreements

Ok

right it will be 599 OSC and DLC

what the hell is DLC and OSC so he told me

But i dont want them

you have too

who says ME

well it says its optional

Yes but you have to take them out

ok fine i dont want it now then looked at my wife and said will have to check that out tomorrow in work as a trainee TS office never heard of that will ask my boss tomorrow il get back to you on the weekend

I went off running to another guy in the shop see that guy leaving he from TS they watched me walk down the street

that will teach them

Regards DK

PS will call in again next week just for fun

I went into my new store last week looked at a sofa bloke was there like a shot and it goes like this

Hi can i help you

Yes how much is this

599 sir

hey love thats not bad 599

is that all 599 we il have it

Ok sir we need to do the agreements

Ok

right it will be 599 OSC and DLC

what the hell is DLC and OSC so he told me

But i dont want them

you have too

who says ME

well it says its optional

Yes but you have to take them out

ok fine i dont want it now then looked at my wife and said will have to check that out tomorrow in work as a trainee TS office never heard of that will ask my boss tomorrow il get back to you on the weekend

I went off running to another guy in the shop see that guy leaving he from TS they watched me walk down the street

that will teach them

Regards DK

PS will call in again next week just for fun

:lol:

• 1 month later...

Clemma, I think you should start a "Cheekiness to Brighthouse" thread. ;)

You could have some good material for it.

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

Clemma, I think you should start a "Cheekiness to Brighthouse" thread. ;)

You could have some good material for it.

Oooooo - could be a good idea :lol:

Help people in the same way as DCA cheekiness - no fear and all that. One for me to think about ;)