• Tweets

• just to be clear here..... the DVLA do not send letters if a drivers licence address differs from any car's V5C that shows the same driver as it's registered keeper.
    • sorry she is a private individual, the cars are parking on her land. she can clamp the cars. only firms were outlawed from doing it bazza. thats what the victims of people dumping cars on their drives near airports did and they didn't not get prosecuted.    
    • The DVLA keeps two records of you. One as a driver and one for your car. If they differ you might find out in around a month when they will send you a reminder as well as to your other half for their car. If you receive nothing then you can be fairly sure that you were tailgating though wouldn't explain why they didn't pick up your car on one of drive past their cameras. However even if you do get a PCN later then your situation will not change. The current PCN does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 which is the main law that covers private parking. It doesn't comply for two reasons. 1. Section 9 [2][a] states  (2)The notice must— (a)specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates; The PCN states 47 minutes which are the arrival and departure times not the time you were actually parked. if you subtract the time you took to drive from the entrance. look for a parking place  park in it perhaps having to manoeuvre a couple of times to fit within the lines and unload the children reloading the children getting seat belts on  driving to the exit stopping for cars pedestrians on the way you may well find that the actual time you were parked was quite likely to be around ten minutes over the required time.  Motorists are allowed a MINIMUM of ten minutes Grace period [something that the rogues in the parking industry conveniently forget-the word minimum] . So it could be that you did not overstay. 2] Sectio9 [2][f]  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN does not include the words in brackets and in 2a the Act included the word "must". Another fail. What those failures mean is that MET cannot transfer the liability to pay the charge from the driver to the keeper. Only the driver is now liable which is why we recommend our members not to appeal. It is so easy to reveal who was driving by saying "when I parked the car" than "when the driver parked the car".  As long as they don't know who was driving they have little chance of winning in court. This is partly because Courts do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person. And because anyone with a valid motor insurance policy is able to drive your cars. It is a shame that you are too far away to get photos of the car park signage. It is often poor and quite often the parking rogues lose in Court on their poor signage alone. I hope hat you can now relax and not panic about the PCN. You will receive many letters from Met, their unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors threatening you with ever higher amounts of money. The poor dears have never read the Act which states quite clearly that the maximum sum that can be charged is the amount on the signs. The Act has only been in force for 12 years so it may take a  few more years for the penny to drop.  You can safely ignore everything they send you unless or until they send you a Letter of Claim. Just come back to us if they do send one of those love letters to you and we will advise on a snotty letter to send them. In the meantime go on and enjoy your life. Continue reading other threads and if you do get any worrying letters let us know. 
    • Hopefully the ANPR cameras didn't pick up the two vehicles, but I don't think you're out of the woods just yet. MET's "work" consists of sending out hundreds of these invoices every week so yours might be a few days behind your partner's. There is also the matter of Royal Mail.  I once sold two second-hand books to someone on eBay.  Weirdly the cost of sending them separately was less than the cost of sending them in one parcel.  So to save a few bob I sent them seperately.  One turned up the next day.  One arrived after four days.  They were  sent from the same post office at the same time! But let's hope I'm being too pessimistic. Please update us of any developments.
    • New version after LFI's superb analysis of the contract. Sorry, but you need to redo the numbering of the paras and of the exhibits in the right order after all the damage I've caused! Defendant's WS - version 4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Locked in car park

Patma
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4652 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this gets me to wondering whether last weeks mysterious silver BMW driving visitor to Freds house was not a burglar but actually a representative of this large and highly regarded national firm of solicitors who do after all have a branch just a mile or so away from Freds home, and might they have actually been conducting a driveby valuation of Freds assets in an attempt to see what might be chargeable (or not) in the event they have to plough a further large sum of money into prosecuting this case for their clients?
I think it may be worth taking a closer look at the Solicitor's Car Park, to see if Fred or Patma or any local assets at their disposal, can spot that car languishing at rest in there during the working day...or entering/leaving if easy visual inspection is not easy from public land.

If you do spot it, then hang around to see who gets into it at the end of the day, or who climbs out of it at the start of the next.

Not directly of relevance to the issues, but it might be useful to identify exactly who that was. If this happens again, or anything like it, then a potential Harassment complaint may be possible. A complaint made to, let's see, the Police for example.

Some nice clear images of bloke sat in/driving his BMW would be nice to have too, ready for the media...when that time comes!

You never know, you may even see that BMW parked in a PCAD Car Park most days! :eek:

Cheers,

BRW

This isn't on the Youtube clip but have you seen footage of the car(s) prior to Fred's?

No. And that's probably the point we're making. Neither have the police seen it which tbh is a bit of an error on their behalf, it is difficult to prove somebody caused damage if it cannot be proven that the item damaged was undamaged before the person arrived on the scene.

With hindsight much finger pointing can be done at all parties involved in the original arrest and caution, Freds solicitor should have been a bit sharper and recently an 'empowered' Fred has been back in touch with the duty solicitor that day, much to the embarressment of said representative. Of course the behaviour of the police at that time is already the subject of an internal investigation and review.

There will in due course be a lengthy and rather hard hitting complaint made to the Information Commisioners Office about the way in which this data (CCTV) has been handled by the college. I'm sure we can all identify offences under the data protection Act 1998 in respect of the colleges handling of this data.

You have the right to food money.

If you don't mind a little investigation, humiliation, and if you cross your fingers rehabilitation..............

No. And that's probably the point we're making. Neither have the police seen it which tbh is a bit of an error on their behalf, it is difficult to prove somebody caused damage if it cannot be proven that the item damaged was undamaged before the person arrived on the scene.

Of course to a certain extent its irrelevant anyway as far as Fred is concerned. The barrier is at least not functioning correctly when Fred arrived. It didn't raise when Fred drove over the sensors and it was hanging out of its cradle.

Of course to a certain extent its irrelevant anyway as far as Fred is concerned. The barrier is at least not functioning correctly when Fred arrived. It didn't raise when Fred drove over the sensors and it was hanging out of its cradle.

Exactly. My understanding of it is that in such circumstances raising the barrier to a great enough angle triggers the automatic reset cycle.

Now how interesting would it be if the previous car to exit the car park contained two people and the passenger held up the barrier just enough for the driver to exit but not high enough to engage the reset cycle? Fred on the other hand being alone had to raise the barrier past the level of the roof of his car in order to reach the point where it stayed up. By design the fact that it stayed up means that he had reached the required elevation for the reset cycle to be engaged which explains why after a delay the barrier descended as normal into the cradle upon Freds exit. (Not in youtube clip but in full copy given to Fred).

If you don't mind a little investigation, humiliation, and if you cross your fingers rehabilitation..............

You never know, you may even see that BMW parked in a PCAD Car Park most days! :eek:

Cheers,

BRW

Wouln't surprise me in the slightest. Apparently the super duper £3500 top of the range RIB barrier which the college installed is now so poorly maintained and broken that it has no arm so I guess anyone could park their car in there nowadays......:rolleyes:

EDIT Of course the photograph of the security sign supplied by the claimant as proof the sign existed also showed the barrier was lacking its arm. It seems to be a long term breakage (or maybe that photo was taken more recently than the claimant would have us believe)?

Edited by Toulose LeDebt

Good morning, I'm busily preparing Mondays little or not so little bundles of documents that are going up to Leamington Spa and another one going closer to home to The Chief Super. Another day, another dossier, what a busy life,but all in a good cause.;)

Oh dear msutn't forget something for the court as well.:D

TLD, you know the document Fred wrote that I sent you, do you think it's time to send that in yet too?

I'll go through the latest one and we'll make a decision on that tonight.

I'll go through the latest one and we'll make a decision on that tonight.

Thanks, I've sent you version 3 now and have confiscated, Fred's writing equipment.:D

Please don't work too hard.:wink:

Edited by Patma
typo

Apparently the super duper £3500 top of the range RIB barrier which the college installed is now so poorly maintained and broken that it has no arm so I guess anyone could park their car in there nowadays......:rolleyes:

All ammunition for Fred! It obvious that either the estate manager is either not doing his job or PCAD is not interested in spending the required dosh to keep the thing maintained - either way its not good for PCAD.

Might be worth putting this info into the bundle to show PCAD attitude to maintaining is assets!

Yorky.

In signing the caution, what did Fred actually admit to? Is it specific concerning the damage caused, or did he admit only to raising the barrier?

I'm not sure what the actual words were, Annoying Twit, but I'll see what I can find out.

I do know he insisted that he had done nothing deliberately or maliciously.

I'm not sure what the actual words were, Annoying Twit, but I'll see what I can find out.

I'm sure you can guess what I'm thinking, and have thought of that and prepared for it already.

But I was thinking that in one simple way of looking at things, the caution is the key to the whole thing. Because when accepting the caution, Fred admitted guilt. But, he admitted guilt of what exactly? "Damaging the barrier"? Just lifting the barrier? There must be some wording there, which may or may not be compatible with the civil case being brought by PCAD.

I'm sure you can guess what I'm thinking, and have thought of that and prepared for it already.

But I was thinking that in one simple way of looking at things, the caution is the key to the whole thing. Because when accepting the caution, Fred admitted guilt. But, he admitted guilt of what exactly? "Damaging the barrier"? Just lifting the barrier? There must be some wording there, which may or may not be compatible with the civil case being brought by PCAD.

Good thought Annoying Twit. I think I'm right in saying he would only admit to lifting the barrier. He has told me that when he argued about guilt, they just (police and duty solicitor) said he'd have to go back in the cells for a few more hours until they decided what to do next. He'd already spent some hours there and just didn't know what to do for the best.

The threat of cell time is regularly used in obtaining 'confessions' & his duty solicitor should have been much more proactive in arguing against this abuse of the system I ask you why would it be suddenly necessary to put him back in a cell, what purpose would it serve other than to intimidate him

As is often the case with 'duty' solicitors they have their police accreditation to safeguard - Suspect when sorted a compliant about the lawyers conduct would be in order

The threat of cell time is regularly used in obtaining 'confessions' & his duty solicitor should have been much more proactive in arguing against this abuse of the system

As is often the case with 'duty' solicitors they have their police accreditation to safeguard - Suspect when sorted a compliant about the lawyers conduct would be in order

Fred has recently been back in touch with this solicitor who has written to him suggesting an appeal against the caution might be in order. Even he now is having second thoughts. I agree he deserves a complaint against him.

Then the bleeding solicitor should get off his butt & help Fred pro bono

That would be very nice, but I can't see it happening.

Pro bono support seems thin on the ground round our way.

Well in that case the police were not allowed to caution him in the first place and should have known this.:|

2.4. There may be occasions where a caution has been given incorrectly or inappropriately, these may include where:

• The facts do not amount to an offence in law;
    • The admission is equivocal;
    • A lawful defence was not taken into consideration, etc.

I make that one more for the Chief Superintendents list of reasons why the caution should not have been issued in the first place.

We're at a stage now where every visit from the postman, every click of the 'send and receive' button and every casual comment no matter how innocently made just seems to lend more and more weight to Freds case.

It's become like some kind of perverse Matryoshka doll where each layer of complicity we strip reveals another slightly smaller yet just as perfectly formed layer beneath. As with the Matryoshka we do know that sooner or later we shall eventually reach the last layer at some stage but unlike the doll where we would expect to find a tiny solid core piece I have the feeling this one is going to prove to be empty.

Still the claimant has their very own version of this simile, it's called 'pass the parcel' and the final wrapper in their version of the game will be slipped off to reveal what can only be described as a particularly hot potato.

(I wonder who will be holding this parcel when that happens?)

Edited by Toulose LeDebt

The threat of cell time is regularly used in obtaining 'confessions' & his duty solicitor should have been much more proactive in arguing against this abuse of the system I ask you why would it be suddenly necessary to put him back in a cell, what purpose would it serve other than to intimidate him

You in particular JonCris will be shocked to learn that no disclosure was sought by this solicitor and maybe not quite as shocked to learn that none was offered by the police other than one short film clip which by no means represented a true copy of the full evidence contained within the cctv footage. There was 'other' evidence but nobody involved could be bothered to make sure that Fred even knew of its existence let alone follow procedure and allow him to see it and thus make an informed decision on whether to accept the caution.:eek:

This is too late for Fred, as he accepted the caution, but I note with interest the following from the description of the offence of criminal damage.

Criminal Damage: Legal Guidance: The Crown Prosecution Service

Mens Rea

(Archbold 23-8 to 23-12)

After the House of Lords decision in R v G [2004 1 A.C. 1034 the mens rea for criminal damage is no longer as stated in Caldwell.

Recklessness for the purposes of the Criminal Damage Act is now defined as follows:

A person acts recklessly within the meaning of section 1 of the Criminal Damage Act 1971 with respect to:-

i) A circumstance when he is aware of a risk that it exists or will exist;

ii) A result when he/she is aware of a risk that it will occur;

And it is, in the circumstances known to him, unreasonable to take the risk.

If the barrier lifted easi ly without force, then I personally wouldn't expect damage to occur. Hence had it been me, therefore, there wouldn't be Mens rea. If I had to use force, then it could be said (I believe) that I had been reckless, as force can break things. But without force, I, and possibly other "reasonable" people, might not have expected damage. If I remember correctly, Fred in the video carefully lifts the barrier first to see if it raised easily. Surely that would count against recklessness...

Also, I wonder whether Fred had "Lawful Excuse". The advice on that concentrates on people who damage car clamps removing them. And it says that Lawful Excuse does not apply when someone knowingly parks somewhere where they know that clamping is likely to occur. Since Fred had no reason to expect that the carpark would be shut and the intercom unmanned, could it be that he had lawful excuse to take actions to get his car out of the park?

http://www.webtribe.net/~shg/Criminal%20Damage%20Act%201971%20(1971%20c%2048).htm

5 “Without lawful excuse”

(1) This section applies to any offence under section 1(1) above and any offence under section 2 or 3 above other than one involving a threat by the person charged to destroy or damage property in a way which he knows is likely to endanger the life of another or involving an intent by the person charged to use or cause or permit the use of something in his custody or under his control so to destroy or damage property.

(2) A person charged with an offence to which this section applies shall, whether or not he would be treated for the purposes of this Act as having a lawful excuse apart from this subsection, be treated for those purposes as having a lawful excuse—

space.gif space.gif (a) if at the time of the act or acts alleged to constitute the offence he believed that the person or persons whom he believed to be entitled to consent to the destruction of or damage to the property in question had so consented, or would have so consented to it if he or they had known of the destruction or damage and its circumstances; or

space.gif space.gif (b) if he destroyed or damaged or threatened to destroy or damage the property in question or, in the case of a charge of an offence under section 3 above, intended to use or cause or permit the use of something to destroy or damage it, in order to protect property belonging to himself or another or a right or interest in property which was or which he believed to be vested in himself or another, and at the time of the act or acts alleged to constitute the offence he believed—

space.gif (i) that the property, right or interest was in immediate need of protection; and

(ii) that the means of protection adopted or proposed to be adopted were or would be reasonable having regard to all the circumstances.

(3) For the purposes of this section it is immaterial whether a belief is justified or not if it is honestly held.

(4) For the purposes of subsection (2) above a right or interest in property includes any right or privilege in or over land, whether created by grant, licence or otherwise.

(5) This section shall not be construed as casting doubt on any defence recognised by law as a defence to criminal charges.

Certainly I wouldn't want to leave my car stuck in a college car park over the weekend, there would be considerable risk of vandalism. And I would honestly believe that lightly lifting the barrier would be a reasonable measure to protect my car. Edited by Annoying Twit
  • Haha 1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4652 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks