Attention: the Rankines Panorama BBC1 20:30 10/11/2008

robcag
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5653 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Are you sure it was red, sosumi, I remember it as yellow? Surely it was Lifebuoy that was red?

I'm obviously older than you as I remember my mother at the copper, along with the dolly (& the dolly blue - recall that one?) & the mangle so if I've got the colour wrong, blame it on the dead brain cells! ;)

I'll bow to your great age then FG ;) Only joking, I'm probably missing more brain cells than you :D

I was thinking anyway, a copper would have been a luxury once.

What a bloody good idea a dolly tub was! And mangles!! Dolly tubs, mangles and soap like housebricks - no electricity required.

It might all come round again. Maybe it has to...

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this is the great leveller - all of this? A dolly tub would be a luxury in many parts of the world, so...

I'd personally feel great satisfaction walking next to the wife of an ex-banker to the nearest stream to wash our clothes...

What would wealth be then? A bar of soap? Water?

Maybe this is when the world gets straightened out.

I have a 'spensive chrome kettle which doesnt work and will be returned to Messers. Argos on the morrow.

As back up, I have reinstated the perfectly good plastic kettle, purchased 1987 from Messers. Tesco for £4.99.

(I can post a photo of either appliance if needed)

From the article in the last post - published May 2007:

“What all these numbers mean,” they say, “is there is a lot of delinquent debt to collect in Britain and there will be much more in the months and years ahead.

“That could spell opportunity for buyers and agencies that can learn the market quickly. At least two major U.S. players have already done just that and are active there. The UK collection industry remains fairly fragmented: There are up to 500 agencies, mostly contingency collectors that don’t buy their own paper.

“The U.K. debt-purchasing sector is smaller than that of the U.S. but matches it in vigor and growth. There is a good deal of American capital invested so far and probably room for savvy newcomers as well. The secondary market has yet to develop in earnest.

“Those thinking about getting into the Great british debt race should be well capitalized and consider partnering with existing buyers and agencies that are reputable and well established.”

What a bloody good idea a dolly tub was! And mangles!! Dolly tubs, mangles and soap like housebricks - no electricity required.

It might all come round again. Maybe it has to...

You've obviously never had to do a week's family wash with a dolly sosumi - including sheets!! It's sheer exhausting & I'd probably not have lived to my great age if I'd had to do it for the last ermm.. years. :lol:

I'd go into debt in the millions to keep my all singing, all dancing washer!

Some aspects of the good ole days are only good to those who haven't lived through 'em....:wink:

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

No, no , no!! DEFINITELY not a good idea. :D

Too late FG, I've decided to be a dolly-tub tycoon. :D xx

YOU WILL NEVER NEED A DOLLY TUB!

(1)These services will be free to all CAG members - forever.

I intend to employ ex-bank/DCA employees/tycoons at minimum wage, to do the washing.

(1)(This will be in the Terms and Conditions of their Job Agreements -

Valid even if not read by them!)

Guest Menucha
Too late FG, I've decided to be a dolly-tub tycoon. :D xx

YOU WILL NEVER NEED A DOLLY TUB!

(1)These services will be free to all CAG members - forever.

I intend to employ ex-bank/DCA employees/tycoons at minimum wage, to do the washing.

(1)(This will be in the Terms and Conditions of their Job Agreements -

Valid even if not read by them!)

Sosumi, If you're going to be a dolly tub tycoon can I please bring my big old iron mangle - pretty pleeeeeze?. I'm sure your wonderful, kind and respectful employees could make good use of it to MANGLE UP ALL THOSE DUFF CCAs.

Sosumi, If you're going to be a dolly tub tycoon can I please bring my big old iron mangle - pretty pleeeeeze?. I'm sure your wonderful, kind and respectful employees could make good use of it to MANGLE UP ALL THOSE DUFF CCAs.

Absolutely you can. All welcome.

We could 're-skill' them. :D

do they do ironing? and cleaning?

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Guest Menucha

Oh my goodness Godmother!!!!!!!!!!! Ironing AND cleaning??????????????

How about putting them in shackles and making a DCA/Bankers Chain Gang - they'd soon get the hang of it :lol::lol::lol:

Oh by the way - me mangles Green - a suitable colour don't you think???

well i cant stand ironing so it will help me.

and the clean i thought would be a bonus

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Guest Menucha

Godmother, when they've done yours stick 'em in a plane - ooooops sorry they wouldn't pay - a barrage balloon would be better - and send them over here to do mine.

By 2014, the bankers will own 68% of all Property, and they'll be looking for passengers to climb aboard the next banking fairy story Balloon trip into the sky. Don't worry that you cannot afford the Ticket, they'll lend you a pile of invisible Number-Money to Buy it.

Likewise, if you want to Buy a House, they'll Sell you one they now own, and will lend you an even bigger pile of Number-Money so you can think you are Buying it (although they'll still own it).

BRW

"Lions, tigers and bears, oh my!" Where the Rankines are concerned why were they lent such a rediculous amount of money to start with? A computer access from a bank to the credit reference bureaus would show the amount of money they already owed which I thought was the point of this system. Banks can lend responsibly. That bank manager said that if people like the rankines don't pay someone else has too, but who designates responsibility for that course of action? The banks. Now, who does pay the money for all those bonuses for irresponsible lending?

If my post helped you feel better, click my scales.

Godmother, when they've done yours stick 'em in a plane - ooooops sorry they wouldn't pay - a barrage balloon would be better - and send them over here to do mine.

If your in Narnia would a wardrobe not be better? :lol:

BRW for PM x

Yep, he has my vote as well. :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Guest Menucha
If your in Narnia would a wardrobe not be better? :lol:

Oooh silly me.........:!: Please make sure it's a green one to match the mangle.:D

Banks can lend responsibly. That bank manager said that if people like the rankines don't pay someone else has too, but who designates responsibility for that course of action?

Ummmmm, yes but he neglected to say you have already paid for it anyway.

One of the factors affecting interest rate being charged for any particular loan facility is the percentage of customers expected to default on payment. This is arrived at through a number of factors. Risk factor- 1st mortgages are safer than Buy now Pay Later! Expected customer profile, length of loan, longer= more time to default, market experience and yes, they employ actuaries.

The expected default level is then built into the price, the limiting factor being what the market will stand.

Simply:

If default = expected level, the company makes the expected return.

If lower default = higher than expected return.

If higher default = ooops! Lower than expected return.

In the latter case this will filter into higher rates/tighter undewriting terms, which is exactly what is happening.

David

Check this:

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Panorama | How far will creditors go to get their cash?

30-second intro, followed by 'Leanne's battle' - the phone operator's responses (1st Credit) have gone, replaced by BBC text to explain what 1st Credit were saying instead.

No mention of Rankines...

Whole thing is at most 2 minutes, with 1st Credit's response underneath.

HUGE HUGE EDIT!!!

HUGE HUGE EDIT!!!

That was the BBC News page to promote the main show, which was already on-line when the show was broadcast. It's not really meant to be an edit of the full show, but (being the BBC) you can't call it an advert either...

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.