I Want My Bin Emptying

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We moved in to a property in Barnsley. Now Barnsley are very keen on recycling which is not a problem, I will coperate as much as I can.

Now we have 2 collections a fortnight.

On week one, they empty the normal black wheelie bins which can contain any non recyclable rubbish.

On week two, they empty a green bin which holds garden refuse and cardboard. They will also empty a green box (Glass) and Blue bins (Paper).

Now when I bought the house, i bought it off a single man so he did not generate alot of waste but we have 2 children and with just moving in, we have generated alot of rubbish. I put the green bin out on Tuesday night for collection on wednesday. Now on Wednesday my bin didnt get emptied. So I called at 4pm on Wedneday and was told we will empty it as soon as possible, giving me the impression it would be Thursday. Thursday came and again in the afternoon i telephoned and was told it would be emptied tomorrow (Friday)

I telephone at noon on friday and was told it would be later on that day or Saturday morning as they work saturdays particularly for these eventualities.

Anyway, my bin still has not been emptied.

Am I in my rights to telephone on Monday and say Look, enough is enough, my bins are overflowing here and if it is not emptied by 12 noon, I will have a skip delivered, empty the bin into the skip, and then bill you for the service.

I have taken all reasonable steps to get this sorted but Im bangin my head on the preverbial

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

Welcome to Barnsley Isiris!! We've had a few teething problems with this recycling malarky since they brought it in. Did they empty the bins for the rest of the street and just leave yours out? Or didn't they bother at all on your street? To be honest I don't really know what to suggest, other than is it a possibility for you to take it to any local recycling facilities i.e. the dump it, or tescos for example for the bottles? I know you shouldn't have to, but I can't see them paying for a skip to be honest.

PJ

• Haha 1

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

Hello mate

When I phoned them up first they said they would phone the crew, the crew said they emptied all the bins but "some were contaminated". She asked me what was in the bin and I said Grass and some cardboard. They were cardboard boxes from some phones, a router and a broken down sky box. She said if my bin had been a problem, they would have put a sticker on saying why. No sticker on my bin.

Im really struggling here. The black bin is overflowing, I cant get the green bin to a tip as we dont have the cars to do it. I have a convertible and the mrs has a mini. I cant think of anything else to do.

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

You definately need to remove the router and the sky box, or they definately won't take it. It could be that the put a sticker on it and not stuck it down properly and it's come off. I think its something like '3 strikes and your out' kinda thing - if you've had a couple of warnings for contaminated bins you can get a fine! If you remove them then try to compact your rubbish as much as poss, i.e. rip your boxes up and squash em down, could that make it a bit more bearable? Unfortunately, I don't think there's a great deal you can do - if you read the letters page in the Chron people are always complaining about this new system!

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

You definately need to remove the router and the sky box, or they definately won't take it. It could be that the put a sticker on it and not stuck it down properly and it's come off. I think its something like '3 strikes and your out' kinda thing - if you've had a couple of warnings for contaminated bins you can get a fine! If you remove them then try to compact your rubbish as much as poss, i.e. rip your boxes up and squash em down, could that make it a bit more bearable? Unfortunately, I don't think there's a great deal you can do - if you read the letters page in the Chron people are always complaining about this new system!

PJ

Not being funny but are you serious. Ive moved here from Sheffield but are you saying I cant put cardboard boxes that have had products in. I am REALLY hoping you thought the actual router and sky box were in there. This was just the cardboard boxes they came in.

What amazed me was I was yes, I will go for the recycling thing everything helps, so I asked for a Brown bin and a blue bin. They can get them to me in October

You definately need to remove the router and the sky box, or they definately won't take it.

Eh?

Why is a box that a phone has been in ok to be recycled, but a box for a router or sky box isn't ok?

Have I missed something?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I am under the impression PJ believes the actual routers and sky box were in there. I am refering to the cardboard boxes.

Is anyone aware whether i can cross charge them for the skip. I will actual be prepared to pay for the skip then take them to court over the money and have the local rag cover the story. Im under the impression that the whole recycling fiasco is of great interest to them

Sounds to me like contaminated bins or alternatively the wrong bin out for collection. A couple of days outwith your collection day really shouldn't be that much of a hardship for a bin containing garden waste and cardboard , and is nothing to do with your black bin for residual waste being full. Most councils run a pick up with alternative vehicles to avoid contaminating large loads. Additionally most have amenity sites where extra rubbish can be taken.

If you feel you cannot wait it is your option to hire a skip but you cannot expect any council to pay for it. I would suggest you call back and without being objectionable explain your situation and ask for a solution.

Alt

I dont know whether I explained my situation fully BUT

I have just moved in with 2 children, 2 weeks ago so this is my first green bin empty.

The bin is not contaminated, it is for Garden waste and Cardboard. It has grass and cardboard boxes, broken down, inside it.

It was placed out on Tuesday night for collection on Wednesday.

I have telephoned 5 times and been told, "Its down for collection"

I have the black bin FULL and overflowing with a black bag at the side. I have cardboard boxes broken up waiting for the green bin to be emptied as obviously they were used to transport stuff from my other house. The black bin is actually 20% smaller than the one I had it my other house that was emptied weekly.

I have a convertible and the wife a mini so transporting the rubbish to a tip is inpracticable

If you contact the bulk waste section of the council, there will arrange a collection for a saturday, this can be done by e.mail or by phone, it is within the councils best intrest to keep the streets clean and tidy, many times i have used the bulk collection system and had fast results, i know your items are only of recylable things, it may be the case of, waiting untill the next expectant date of collection, it may even be adviseable to keep an eye out upon the day there do collect, and if there pass you by again, then you could shout them across to take it? As for them paying for a skip after you might obtain one, afraid its a no no no chance of happening, the councils have limited funding, and there are many other opitions that are available, in my experances giving them chance to act is best way of resolving such matters. Should the items now be-comming a health hazzard to your self or your children, then contact the health dept of the council, however this is only advisable if the waste is attracting unwanted wild life, ie mice/rats/ and other furry runners.

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

Eh?

Why is a box that a phone has been in ok to be recycled, but a box for a router or sky box isn't ok?

Have I missed something?

Is there an embarrassed smilie? lol I thought he meant the actual router, and the sky box, not the boxes they actually came in! Sorry, bit of confusion there lol

And the bin STILL hasnt been emptied despite 2 phone calls this week, 1 to the Assistant Director to waste management.

I can not believe that they are not obliged unders soome duty of care to empty a bin. As you can imagine, its been out on the street now under the impression its going to be emptied and to be quite honest, it stinks vile. All the grass is a mass of mush

Any thoughts

Seriously considering the skip Idea and then just billing them then take them to court. Happy to waste £70-80 just to bring this to an embarrasing point for them

Report an incident of flytipping outside your house, when they arrive to clean it up, tell them it was so unsightly that you put it in your bin - they will have come prepared to clean up the stree but you (very kindly) did it for them and now all they have to do is empty your bin.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Hi Isiris,

The only thing that makes BMBC jump is a court threat. Write them a strong letter saying how long you've waited, your intent to hire a skip & your determination via the small claims court to get the money back off them. Also mention the fact that the contents have started rotting down & therefore are becoming a health hazzard to your family & neighbours & you will hold them responsible for any consequences. Phone the Barnsley Chronicle up, ask to speak to a reporter & get them involved too.

The cardboard situation is a difficlut one as you're only allowed "thin" card in the green bins & if you've anything other than what they class as "thin" (I have no idea what their definition is) then they would class your bin as contaminated.

Re larger bins. BMBC are the only council I know of who expect a family of 4 to create less than a small wheelie bin of rubbish per fortnight. You have bigger bins in Sheffield & Leeds give you a bumper sized bin if you have 4 people in your household. In Barnsley you have to prove there are 5 people living in your house to get anything other than the egg box they call a bin. Also, the green and blue bins don't exist.... it's a blue plastic bag & a green box the size of a milk bottle crate, they're like the proverbial rocking horse doodoo to get hold of.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

Dear Sir/Madam.

I have been for 1 week repeatedly telephoning with regard my green wheelie bin. Below is a list of the conversations I have had

12/7/2006 15.22 Phoned regarding why my bin had not been emptied. I was asked if the rest of the streets had been emptied. I advised that they had. I was asked if any contamination leaflet was on the box. Advised there was not. Was told they could be back tomorrow, let us know if not emptied

13/7/2006 15.30 Phoned again. Advised bin still not emptied. Explained how due to the shape of the road, my bin was outside a neighbours. Was told they would put it down for an immediate collection.

14/7/2006 11.55 Phoned as conscious it was Friday and early finish. Was told it was down for collection and that if it was not today it would be Saturday morning as they have crews working particularly for these occurrences.

17/4/2006 08.35 Phone the general council number and asked for the name of someone in change of collections. Given the name Andy Brandl (sic).

17/4/2006 9.10 Phoned waste management and asked for Andy Brandl (sic). Was advised he wasn’t in. Explained I was unhappy and would seek legal advice and amazingly he was in. He said bear with us, it might not be today because we are short staffed but we are fully crewed tomorrow.

19/4/2006 11.45 Grey Bin emptied but green one left. Spoke to someone again who advised that she would put the bin down for collection. I explained that the green bin and been out in the blairing sun for the last 9 days and was smelling. It was now starting to become a health hazard. She took my mobile number and someone would ring me.

This has now gone beyond reasonable. You are failing in your duty of care. This bin is becoming a health hazard. It is attracting insects and is an undesirable eyesore for my neighbours. I have no means of going to a “tip” as neither of our cars are designed for the purpose.

If the bin is not emptied by 4pm this afternoon, 20/07/2006, I will hire the smallest skip available to myself and empty by green bin and green bin only, into the skip and have the driver take it there and then. I will then forward the bill on for payment within 7 days.

If the bill is still not paid within 7 days, I will issue a letter before action advising you that the bill must be paid within 14 days. If the bill still remains unpaid, I will start proceedings in the small claims court, using the fast tract facility, allowed as the claim will be for under £5000

Please treat this with the seriousness it warrants.

Regards

Name

Address

SENT UNDER FAX

To 01226 772040

20/7/2006 @ 11.05am

I think you would struggle to get your small claim moved on to the Fast Track. And I don't understand how this would be of benefit to you at all.

Also you have sent a fax and given them less than 5 hours to respond before taking action? I'm not sure that is a reasonable timescale.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I have given them 8 days since my calls. They are a massive organistation. They should, again in my opinion, have dealt with this before now and not just left it as a "We will do it next Wednesday when we would normally have to do it"

As someone else mentioned, I have moved from Sheffield and had a normal bin 50% bigger than the one we have now. I asked for a bigger one but I didnt fall in the criteriaI have 4 black bags outside that the father in law is going to take to the tip for me today.

I admit, the fast track thing was an error.

How many times am I supposed to keep ringing, being told it will be done, and for it not to be done.

ROFLMAO

The bin has just been emptied @ 13.05

Went out to the lads who were doing it and asked them what had happened. He said they had the DIRECTOR, not assistant, of waste management telling them THEY MUST GET THE BIN EMPTIED

They said he was VERY adamant it was done before 2pm. They asked me what I had said.

Showed them the fax and they said good on ya. They are always telling us to reject bins for the slightest misdemeanor. About time someone took them on.

Good out come. Threats are'nt always the best course of action, how ever sometimes there are needed in the correct manner and text, i appricate your anger at this matter, even more so with you having small children around, i was gonna recommend some small ways to handle things, but hey you got the job done, which at the end of the day, thats what you were requiring.. yes... hopefully come next week, when its bin collection day, that the lads don't miss your house again, i can just picture your face if that did happen hahahahha bye for now.

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

Well done Isiris!

Unfortunately Shywazz threats are the only thing that work with BMBC & this has been the case for a pretty long time now. I had trouble paying my council tax a couple of months ago (kept giving them the bank details... they kept "loosing" them), eventually they sent me a summons for non payment & had added all kind of charges, I responded via email with the threat of court action, the boss was on the phone 2 hours later personally setting up my direct debit & wiping the charges off.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

• 2 months later...

Make sure you demand all your phone call charges back, as you should not have had to call them at all on this matter.

I do not see why councils should be exempt from liability for anything, they are large organisations with hundreds of employees, they have NO excuse to keep messing up like this. The more people who threaten, or take, court action against them, the better they might actually become at doing what they are paid to do: SERVE THEIR TAX PAYERS