• Tweets

• I suggested consideration of bankruptcy some years ago. It was not well received.
    • That is a superb WS. However, I have a few tweaks to suggest. In (2) "indicating" not "indication". I think to be consistent with your numbering, in (6) the Beavis case should be EXHIBIT 2. Do you really need to include over 100 pages of Beavis?  I think that would be likely to annoy the judge.  Just try and find the bit where they decide it was not a penalty due to having an interest in limiting the time that vehicles can stay. I'll have a look myself for this bit later as it's highly likely to be in WSs from PPCs who think that that paragraph means all their charges are valid always on every occasion. After your current (7) add this.  It's always useful to refer to a judgment when making a legal point - 8.  In the case PCM vs Bull, Claim No. B4GF26K6, where the Defendant was issued parking tickets for parking on private roads with signage stating “No parking at any time”, District Judge Glen in his final statement mentioned that: “the notice was prohibitive and didn’t communicate any offer of parking and that landowners may have claim in trespass, but that was not under consideration”.   In (14) if my maths are right the CPR request should be "EXHIBIT 3".  it is missing from your list of exhibits. In (16) the two figures should be £100 and £170.  They are entitled to increase fro,m £60 to £100, they are not entitled to increase to £170.  To make it clear for the judge I would write - 16. The Claimant has artificially inflated their claim for a £100 invoice to £170. This is simply a poor attempt to circumvent the legal costs cap at small claims. 17. The Claimant has also invented a second fictitious charge, for legal representative's costs, when they have no legal representative. You also need ot number your exhibits. The rest is excellent - well done.
    • Did you ever think of walking away? Become bankrupt and in 12 months it'll all be behind you. My feeling is that you may well get nothing from the sale of the property anyway. Going by the date this thread started it looks like eight years of arrears, lender's costs and receiver’s fees on top.
    • Just to clarify - I make use of evening legal clinics. It is not always possible to see a lawyer (they have limited time and days/week).  This means questions one has may never get answered or there's weeks between follow-ups.   To be really clear - I am representing myself; I am playing at being lawyer/ barrister - which means I take help wherever I can get it (and then research it thoroughly). Ae - a judge in a recent hearing pointed out the receiver is not part of my current proceedings - and suggested I have a separate claim v the receiver. Disclosure has presented damning evidence v the receiver  The receiver against whom I have a complaint is not part of the receiver governing body.   The receivership is in 2 names - a joint one.  My complaint is directed at whom I was told is the lead receiver.  The other named receiver IS a member of the governing body.  But he has now left the company.  And the lead receiver has retired - but is still a working consultant on my case.   All the evidence shows it was the 'lead' receiver who was doing all the  work/ the misbehaviour.   But if the appointment was 'joint' would I make a complaint against them both?    I am sure that wouldn't go down well with the other receiver who is at the beginning of his career. The law is very much against borrowers.   But the evidence against this receivership is crystal clear.   I just don't know how and to whom to complain.   The places I've tried so far don't offer much transparency       
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5025 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ii) This means that where the CHARGES ARE EXPLAINED IN CLEAR LANGUAGE, under consumer finance legislation, the level of an unarranged O/D charge can't be challenged to see if its fair or not.

Umm I thought the judge said it can't be challenged by the OFT he said nothing about individual customers challenging

On 25 November 2009 the Supreme Court said that the level of unarranged overdraft charges is not assessable for fairness under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations. This means the banks have won their appeal and the test case has concluded.

This is a final judgment from the Supreme Court as they have decided it is not necessary and/or not in the public interest to make any reference to the European Court of Justice.

thats crap!!! the judge never said that , he indicated the agrument used by the OFT wasnt the correct part of the UTCCR to use , ie should have used clause 5.

i just feel really let down here i am fed up of the banks getting things there own way all the time they would be nothing without us the customers so you would think they would really try to help us out not just rip us off and bleed us dry, and what use is the goverment to us they just the same con artists and ripoffs. theres my rant now i gonna go take the bit of money i have out of the bank.

This sounds very much like an inside job...the Government have bailed out the banks already...they don't want to bail them out again and hence it is easier to put pressure on the House of Lords to hand down judgement in favour of the banks.

The whole process is flawed.

Looking at this from a macro perspective, we put in a claim to the banks, the banks pay us, the banks show deficit on end of year accounts, this reduces share price, government bails out bank, tax hikes to taxpayer to pay for bail out.

Claims:

bgqs v Barclays (Claim No.1) - Claim Issued 16/3/07 Await Defence to be Entered - Data Protection Act Non-Compliance - *WON

bgqs v Barclays (Claim No.2) - Prelim Letter Sent (Charges + s.68 Interest) - 16/3/07 - *WON

bgqs v Halifax - Prelim Letter Sent (Charges +C.I Interest) - 16/3/07 - *WON

*Paid Deposit on New House with my Winnings !

am I missing something all stayed cases lifted and banks are asking for all cases to be dismissed.... do they know more than us....

let the storm die down bolster our defences and attack again... remember this was just one battle in the bigger war...

Only direct action by the masses will work....

Look at all successes they have never come from negotiation!!!

hang on that crap that lloyds have put on their website simply says that the charges cannot be assesed for fairness, if the contract was never negotiated then the contract in its whole would be deemed unfair therefore all terms within would be seen as unfair.

This sounds very much like an inside job...the Government have bailed out the banks already...they don't want to bail them out again and hence it is easier to put pressure on the House of Lords to hand down judgement in favour of the banks.

The whole process is flawed.

Looking at this from a macro perspective, we put in a claim to the banks, the banks pay us, the banks show deficit on end of year accounts, this reduces share price, government bails out bank, tax hikes to taxpayer to pay for bail out.

Whether or not it was reasonable for the Supreme Court to reach the decision they did is entirely irrelevant - the decision is made and unless we want the delay involved in forcing this to Europe, it can't be changed. It is not the end. It merely means we have to find another line of attack.

Rather than ranting about the unfairness of this decision, let's work together to find a way past it. Don't get mad, get even.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

This is a terrible day for British justice. The banks appealed twice and they won on the third occasion. Surely we can appeal?

I agree with some of the posters about showing the banks that without us, they would have no business in the first place. Rather than everyone taking their cash out of their accounts (which is less likely to have an effect), why don't we try and set up 1 day for each bank, just to show them how fragile they are without us. It would work by saying Lloyds 12th Dec, Barclays 15th Dec and so on. Obviously it would only work if it was made public, but due to the vast number of claims for bank charges, I think a very high number of people would do this.

Why can't the OFT take this to Erope despite appeals being barred? after all, the banks did it at the lords...

Also, if that does not happen, will county courts be allowed to blanket dismiss cases based on todays ruling?

My case also includes Barclays additions fees which are charges for extra services that I did not ask for, nor agree to - surely they cant just thow the stayed cases out?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Yes i am angry but the fight goes on, if a court can decide that there rates are fair then a court can tell me that i will have to pay the grand i owe barclays and why they are not paying the 3 grand they owe me. I am prepared to go to court and fight this one, waiting for the new templetes regarding clause 5 we have to fight on and i hope the OFT will as well.

Oh well wait for the new lot of DCA letters and telephone calls.

Pecky1

That's right. The first battle is lost, but the war still goes on.

The court order from todays hearing :

http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/docs/uksc_2009_0070_coV2.pdf

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Got a link please viano

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

CAG statement:

As we read further into today's judgement it has become clear that the OFT may have used the wrong part of the UTCCR. The Supreme Court have pointed to Clause 5 of the Regulations as a better possible avenue for the OFT to have used, and this may lead consumers to consider rewording their claims.

Clause 5(1) states that "A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties’ rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer."

Any clause allowing a bank to impose repressive charges, and increase and change those charges at its own discretion would be extremely likely to put the bank in a dominant position - and therefore the term should not be allowed to stand.

Obviously the judgement is still being analysed, but it would seem that the fight is most certainly not lost.

It has also been confirmed today that the FSA Waiver has also been lifted - more information as we get it.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

After my initial disbelief I quickly realised that bankers are the holiest of holy and were never likely to be troubled by matters of legality and morality. It seems they are entitled to act as they see fit and we all have to take it, let's face it, the public will moan but not actually do anything so you kind of can't blame them for taking advantage of us, we let them do it to us.

However more importantly, the fight is far from lost, the supreme court ruled in the banks' favour on a technicality and it seems obvious that we simply need to re-word the argument using the knowledge we now have and start the attack once more. We need the OFT to do this, the bankers are simply hoping we'll do the British thing by having a bit of a moan and then go back to our lives letting them do whatever they want again.

Clause 5 offers a lot to us and we need to remember that credit card charges, PPI, and mortgage charges are nothing to do with this ruling today and can still be challenged. Quite how the banks would have been allowed to go to the European Courts if they'd lost (again) but now we've lost today we have no such right is beyond me, it smacks of unfairness, cannot be right and is a breach of equality.

We need to collectively work together and go again, this time we know more and have the insight of the Supreme Court to help us. It can't be right that banking has to be fair if you're in credit but is not subject to the same rules if you're not in credit. What is there then to stop a bank charging you £1,000,000 because you accidentally went £12.00 over? Fairness? Yeah right. This is far from over and 18 months to get back to a similar position is nothing. Let's support each other, press for further revised action and go from there.

The court order says 'THAT, the bank charges levied on personal current account customers in respect of unauthorised overdrafts (including unpaid item charges and other related charges).

So it's the whole lot not just overdraft charges!

I believe that charges can still be challenged under regulation 5.

I also believe it may be possible to challenge them as irresponsible lending and indirectly discriminatory.

Explanations here:- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/oft-test-case-updates/234732-where-next-bank-charge.html

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Hahahaha...check this. I just tried to open a petition to get the Prime Minister to overturn the decision...this is the response I got:

Hi,

I'm sorry to inform you that your petition has been rejected.

Your petition was classed as being in the following categories:

* Outside the remit or powers of the Prime Minister and

Government

Further information: The Courts are independent of Government

You have four weeks in which to do this, after which your

petition will appear in the list of rejected petitions.

Your petition reads:

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to: 'Overturn

the Supreme Court's Judgement supporting High Street Bank's

Excessive "Penalty Charges"'

We would request that the Prime Minister and his Government

overturn the Supreme Court's Judgement regarding the lawfulness

of Bank Charges.

There are over one million bank charges claims currently

stayed. There is over £2.3 billion pounds of value claimed.

The Prime Minister needs to look into this and fully consider

the implications of the Judgement handed down by the House of

Lords.

-- the ePetitions team

What a load of boolocks !

Claims:

bgqs v Barclays (Claim No.1) - Claim Issued 16/3/07 Await Defence to be Entered - Data Protection Act Non-Compliance - *WON

bgqs v Barclays (Claim No.2) - Prelim Letter Sent (Charges + s.68 Interest) - 16/3/07 - *WON

bgqs v Halifax - Prelim Letter Sent (Charges +C.I Interest) - 16/3/07 - *WON

*Paid Deposit on New House with my Winnings !

This does not accurately describe the issue raised by this appeal, which is very much

more narrow. That issue is whether the Relevant Charges constitute “the price or

remuneration, as against the services supplied in exchange” within the meaning of the

Regulation. If they do not, the attack on the fairness of the terms that is open to the OFT

will not be circumscribed by Regulation 6(2)(b). If they do, they will still be open to

attack by the OFT on the ground that they are “unfair” as defined by Regulation 5(1), but

that attack cannot be founded on an allegation that the Relevant Charges are excessive by

comparison with the services which they purchase, for that is forbidden by Regulation

6(2)(b).

ok so we challenge the charges be saying they are unfair , but we cant use the argument that they are unfair because they are excessive , so we challenge the fact that they are unfair because

"A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties’ rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.”

think thats right