• Tweets

• Hi T911 and welcome to CAG. As you say, an interesting screw up. So much for quality control! Anyway, our regular advice is to ignore all of their increasingly threatening missives... UNLESS you get a letter of claim, then come back here and we'll help you write a "snotty letter" to help them decide whether to take it any further with their stoopid pics. If you get mail you're unsure of, just upload it for the team to have a look.
    • Thanks @lolerzthat's an extremely helpful post. There is no mention of a permit scheme in the lease and likewise, no variation was made to bring this system in. I recall seeing something like a quiet enjoyment clause, but will need to re-read it and confirm. VERY interesting point on the 1987 Act. There hasn't been an AGM in years and I've tried to get one to start to no avail. However, I'll aim to find out more about how the PPC was brought in and revert. Can I test with you and others on the logic of not parking for a few months? I'm ready to fight OPS, so if they go nuclear on me then surely it doesn't matter? I assume that I will keep getting PCNs as long as I live here, so it doesn't make sense for me to change the way that I park?  Unless... You are suggesting that having 5 or so outstanding PCNs, will negatively affect any court case e.g. through bad optics? Or are we trying to force their hand to go to court with only 2 outstanding PCNs?
    • That is so very tempting.   They are doing my annual review as we speak and I'm waiting for their response once I have it I will consider my next steps.    The debt camel website mentioned above is amzing and helping to. Education me alot    
    • Sending you a big hug. I’m sorry your going through this. The letters they send sound aweful, and the waiting game for them to stop. But these guys seem so knowledgable and these letters should stop. Hang in there, and keep in touch. Don’t feel alone 
    • In my time I've never seen a payout/commission from a PPC to a landlord/MA. Normally the installation of all the cameras/payment of warden patrols etc is free but PPCs keep 100% of the ticket revenue. Not saying it doesn't happen mind. I've done some more digging on this: Remember, what your lease doesn't say is just as important as what it does say. If your lease doesn't mention a parking scheme/employment of a PPC/Paying PCNs etc you're under no legal obligation to play along to the PPC's or the MA's "Terms and conditions". I highly doubt your lease had a variation in place to bring in this permit system. Your lease will likely have a "quiet enjoyment" clause for your demised space and the common areas and having to fight a PPC/MA just to park would breach that. Your lease has supremacy of contract, but I do agree it's worth keeping cool and not parking there (and hence getting PCNs) for a couple months just so that the PPC doesn't get blinded by greed and go nuclear on you if you have 4 or 5 PCNs outstanding. At your next AGM, bring it up that the parking controls need to be removed and mention the legal reasons why. One reason is that under S37(5b) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987,  more than 75% of leaseholders and/or the landlord would have needed to agree, and less than 10% opposed, for the variation to take place. I highly doubt a ballot even happened before the PPC was bought in so OPS even being there is unlawful, breaching the terms of your lease. In this legal sense,  the communal vote of the "directors" of the freehold company would have counted for ONE vote of however many flats there are (leases/tenants) + 1 (landlord). It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Inside a DCA!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4886 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ah! But did he do it on purpose or is he undercover, or is he a shameful debtor like the rest of us????!!!:rolleyes::)

I look forward to your response OTB!

Regards,

Corn x:)

DCA staff, past present and future have access to the internet and google makes the world a much smaller place.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NO NO! Don't apologise! I didn't mean to scare you!!:eek:

I just thought that as this thread was about the workings of debt collection agencies, it might be better, under the circumstances, for you to have a whole thread to yourself regarding Mary's issues! New threads tend to get a lot of attention!

If you need any help with that, then please do let me know!

A hug for scaring you.....:-)

Regards,

Group HUG :D

Congratulation to OTB for a truly amazing and useful thread. I hope you have good cover!

I have a couple of questions though :

I liked this question because it really got me thinking!

How do you deal with an DCA and their solicitors when you have spent 16 months trying to communicate with them and they have never answered a single, solitary letter and have ignored your S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) and your CCA requests? I am talking around 26 letters in fact, which have all been received and signed for.

How do you deal with a DCA who has filed a claim, despite all the above) at county court (a claim that will be fast-tracked due to the size) despite the OC admitting that they converted documents unconnected to the "debtor" in an attempt to concoct an enforceable agreement? Oh and put all the wrong information on it, at that!

Basically because they 'think' they have the legal edge (your just a debtor, what do you know? yes, it's called arrogance :mad: ). They must have a valid CCA with all the prescribed terms (or what they percieve to be a valid CCA ;) ) and they must believe they can enforce the debt. But I'm confident you have your defence prepared.

I am more surprised that the Solicitor for the DCA is extremely well known and "high end" yet they can't respond to letters? Why is that? Further, why they have advised their "client" to litigate is beyond me. Will they withdraw after my defence is submitted? What do you think OTB???

I don't think they will withdraw, what is more likely to happen is the district Judge will give them a deadline to provide you with the information you request in your defence. If they have that info (CCA, etc.) then most likely they will supply it (I mean they have to because the judge won't proceed without compliance), if they don't have that supporting evidence the claim will be thrown out and you SUE them.

I have, thankfully, been able to afford a Barrister (on a time spent and reduced fee basis) to represent me in Court. I ought to say that the reason for this is that in my experience, the Judge does not appreciate a Litigant in Person, however, their tune is very much changed when a Barrister comes into play. That is just from being an observer in Court. I wouldn't put myself through it after that! Sorry that is slightly off topic but was touched on earlier in the thread.

I agree. There is nothing better to get a DCA/OCs attention than have a solicitor on YOUR side. A good solicitor can really be an excellent investment. Judges prefer to deal with legally qualified staff to be honest, mainly because they don't have a lot of time and need everyone to quickly understand what her dertermination is without explaining it. That is not to say you have to get a solicitor, but it helps. So does going to court prepared.

Regards,

Why they haven't complied with your CCA and SAR still confuses me tbh (scratches head). There is no reason not to. :???:

Why they haven't complied with your CCA and S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) still confuses me tbh (scratches head). There is no reason not to. :???:

I have absolutely no idea, really, not a clue. I have sent two CCA requests, one 16-odd months ago and one about a year later. I have also SAR'd them twice. Nothing. I have proof of postage and receipt. I have tried very hard to engage in dialogue, but they have completely and utterly ignored me.

I have an excellent defence (I believe!) and I will PM to tell you why as the matter is subject to litigation and I would prefer not to post on a public forum.

Regards,

CLICK ON THE SCALES IF YOU THINK I HAVE HELPED!

I AM NOT SCARED ANYMORE!:rolleyes:

MBNA - To quote "The Carpenters", We've Only Just Begun..................;):D

HSBC - Settled.

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Goldfish - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Tesco - SAR issued.

I have absolutely no idea, really, not a clue. I have sent two CCA requests, one 16-odd months ago and one about a year later. I have also S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)'d them twice. Nothing. I have proof of postage and receipt. I have tried very hard to engage in dialogue, but they have completely and utterly ignored me.

I have an excellent defence (I believe!) and I will PM to tell you why as the matter is subject to litigation and I would prefer not to post on a public forum.

Regards,

Yea that's fine.

There appears to be no logic to their ignorance, and that's why I had to mull it over in work today, and the only 'excuse' I thought of was if the debt was less than £1k, then it would be 'uneconmical' to engage in legal conversation with you. But that attitude always fails in court.

Yea that's fine.

There appears to be no logic to their ignorance, and that's why I had to mull it over in work today, and the only 'excuse' I thought of was if the debt was less than £1k, then it would be 'uneconmical' to engage in legal conversation with you. But that attitude always fails in court.

It is WAY WAY more than £1K.

I have PM'd you.

Regards,

Corn

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

I was going to do a 'chapter' on strategies that work, but there is still an arguement in my mind as to whether its a good idea!

I always stated that I would give honest independent advice not tainted by 'morals' or 'emotion', and not underpinned by justifying or not, as the case maybe, the job of the DCA. I would tell it as the DCA/OCs see it, so you could at least understand the 'process'.

BUT, by giving strategies that will help, will move me away from the 'independence' I have and may compromise the advice I provide in future. Is jumping off the fench the right thing to do? Something to mull over I suppose.

I was going to do a 'chapter' on strategies that work, but there is still an arguement in my mind as to whether its a good idea!

I always stated that I would give honest independent advice not tainted by 'morals' or 'emotion', and not underpinned by justifying or not, as the case maybe, the job of the DCA. I would tell it as the DCA/OCs see it, so you could at least understand the 'process'.

BUT, by giving strategies that will help, will move me away from the 'independence' I have and may compromise the advice I provide in future. Is jumping off the fench the right thing to do? Something to mull over I suppose.

It will also, eventually, alert the DCA's to such strategies and give them reason to close their "loopholes".

A difficult call, because I, for one, am DYING to know!!!!:D

• Haha 1

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

I completely agree. After all, necessity is the mother of invention. I for one am less interested in strategies that "work" or may have worked than those that don't. I don't doubt that all these illogical responses or illogical lack of responses are in fact very logical, if you can see it from the other side. I'd rather understand the thinking and go from there than copycat a tactic.

I don't doubt that all these illogical responses or illogical lack of responses are in fact very logical, if you can see it from the other side. I'd rather understand the thinking and go from there than copycat a tactic.

Have to agree with that.

The job of a DCA is to get money in. It is safe to assume that they work on the assumption that you are a won't pay unless it eventually becomes pretty obvious that you are a can't pay.

I unfortunately, am firmly in the last category in that if I work until I am 100, I will still owe money. (How, why, who's to blame, whatever, is totally immaterial, that's the situation).

All DCA's work on the shout priciple, he who shouts loudest will get something, that is, if anyone is going to be payed at all. The problem is sorting out who you better pay or else!!

In my case I have 1 Creditor I told to bogger of six months ago and so far they have. Another I think have got the goods, so unless they make life immpossible, they will get paid something. The problem is how to play the ones in the middle, which are not clear cut and that's where I could use some help.

OTB - quick question. How does the size of the debt figure in the equation, ie, it's to big to put through small claims, etc.

David

Small claims will take debts/claims up to £5,000.00

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Agree, I don’t think we want to start aiding the debt avoiders

This sites all about letting people know their rights, helping them out of debt and stopping DCA walking all over them. Divorce, addiction, redundancy, illness and change of circumstances are all part of life. Loaning money is a risky business.

The DCAs should work with people not try and walk all over them!

A strategies that don’t work ie running away ect… would be good but also a section on " how to make the DCA see sense would be good to"

:)

My view is if the debtor has already repaid the equivalent to the debt & or is being pursued aggressively by DCA's then it's just too bad if the persecuted debtor finds a way of not paying & stopping the harassment.

The finance industry only have their own avarice to blame for the situation they now find themselves in....consumers refusing or finding ways not to pay because they are sick of being bled by lenders if they make the slightest mistake in managing their finances

Sorry but the day I feel sympathy for lenders, any lenders, will be the day Hell freezes over

• Haha 1

When we started the Cabot Fan Club we said from the very outset " all we want them to do is abide by the law" that was all and I don't think many on here feel much differently. We only started hammering them and the other dca's because they just wouldn't do what the law states they should and we will continue to do so until they stop playing their own stupid games and trying to get away with what they have done for the past 40 years. Some are changing, others are taking longer to get the message, but overall we are winning over, it just is hard for them to realise their game is up. Keep up the pressure, keep complaining, keep making sure they provide you with the information you require and are entitled to under the law of the CCA and maybe, just maybe they'll get the message however much it hurts them. I do not feel one bit sorry for them, I have to run my own business within the law and so must they. If they don't? well, they have to take whats thrown at them. Keep on using the synergy of this forum and others and keep hitting them where it hurts until they do as they are supposed to. That's ALL we ask.

Sarah

When I have on rare occasions dealt with a DCA that has tried to be helpful & polite they have, in an effort to resolve matters to everyones satisfaction, got my complete cooperation.

Those that haven't are left swinging in the wind - period

A letter was recently sent to my address to someone unknown but with with the same surname, a different title and initials. Of course I didn't open it as it was addressed to someone else, but as it went in the trash the envelope tore. It was a DCA letter chasing an outstanding debt from Southern Water.

Dear Miss ???

Having confirmed your current address our client is anxious to resolve the outstanding debt.

You must call us immediately to arrange repayment of your outstanding debt.

If you are not the person named above, please accept our apologies and call us on 0845 40 224 30 to confirm this. If you do not call to tell us we will assume that you are the correct person.

Should we not hear from you within 7 days of the date of this letter, we may commence legal action to recover the outstanding debt.

Yours sincerely,

Advantis Credit Ltd

Now, first of all, any letters not addressed to a known person at my address would be binned. However, this company expects a stranger to open someone else's post and phone them to say that they are not the addressee. Is this some kind of breach of confidentiality or malpractice?

Also, this evening had a weird call. It may have been a voice activated message as they did not ask who they were talking to. The line was fuzzy, I said hello, hello, then a voice said, "Hello, this is an important call from Advantis Credit. Please phone on 0845." I put down phone in mid sentence as the woman did not ask for me by name. Is this another breach of customer confidentiality? I do not know this company, have no debts, and have been getting loads of marketing calls recently and am pretty fed up with unsolicited calls.

Could anyone tell me if it is safe to ignore. Pretty weird on their letter that they say, "Having confirmed your current address, our client is anxious to resolve the outstanding debt." I've never had letters or correspondence from any of these people before and have been at this address for several years.

Help!!!:confused:

I know they say ignoring a dca, burying your head in the sand etc is not a stagedy that works , but people with statute barred debts today never had sites like this to go and visit, who knew anything about the statute of limitations then (mid 90's), other than the legal profession.

I don't know if it's a good method to use today or not, but that is what I did in the 90's. I tried to pay these people but the letters and calls were incessant, at work at home. One day I just stopped dealing with them , binned the letters, told them to f off on the phone and assumed the position of what would be the ideal stance for somebody attempting to get a debt statute barred , except in those days I didn't know it . So that did work, at least for me.

Have to agree with that.

OTB - quick question. How does the size of the debt figure in the equation, ie, it's to big to put through small claims, etc.

David

The balance owed will have a significant difference. The smaller the balance the quicker the point will come when it is 'uneconomical' to pursue, whereas the higher the balance the greater need will be to recover the debt and less likely that it will just be written off. But the ultimate determination on the outcome of any debt is the assessment of your ability to pay, or more accurately, the OCs ability to recover (through CCJ, charging order, Attachment of earnings, etc.)

Agree, I don’t think we want to start aiding the debt avoiders

This sites all about letting people know their rights, helping them out of debt and stopping DCA walking all over them. Divorce, addiction, redundancy, illness and change of circumstances are all part of life. Loaning money is a risky business.

The DCAs should work with people not try and walk all over them!

A strategies that don’t work ie running away ect… would be good but also a section on " how to make the DCA see sense would be good to"

:)

Interesting comments.

A letter was recently sent to my address to someone unknown but with with the same surname, a different title and initials. Of course I didn't open it as it was addressed to someone else, but as it went in the trash the envelope tore. It was a DCA letter chasing an outstanding debt from Southern Water.

Dear Miss ???

Having confirmed your current address our client is anxious to resolve the outstanding debt.

You must call us immediately to arrange repayment of your outstanding debt.

If you are not the person named above, please accept our apologies and call us on 0845 40 224 30 to confirm this. If you do not call to tell us we will assume that you are the correct person.

Should we not hear from you within 7 days of the date of this letter, we may commence legal action to recover the outstanding debt.

Yours sincerely,

Advantis Credit Ltd

Now, first of all, any letters not addressed to a known person at my address would be binned. However, this company expects a stranger to open someone else's post and phone them to say that they are not the addressee. Is this some kind of breach of confidentiality or malpractice?

Also, this evening had a weird call. It may have been a voice activated message as they did not ask who they were talking to. The line was fuzzy, I said hello, hello, then a voice said, "Hello, this is an important call from Advantis Credit. Please phone on 0845." I put down phone in mid sentence as the woman did not ask for me by name. Is this another breach of customer confidentiality? I do not know this company, have no debts, and have been getting loads of marketing calls recently and am pretty fed up with unsolicited calls.

Could anyone tell me if it is safe to ignore. Pretty weird on their letter that they say, "Having confirmed your current address, our client is anxious to resolve the outstanding debt." I've never had letters or correspondence from any of these people before and have been at this address for several years.

Help!!!:confused:

This is a shot in the dark from a DCA. Just send ALL letters back addressed to this person and write 'not know at address' (that's if there is a return address :rolleyes: , if not bin them), worse case they will send an agent to confirm you are not the debtor. to be honest, I have done such visits as part of my 'training' and they last about 5 mins: they just confirm your name and ask for one proof of identity. If you provide it they wipe their records of your details and send it back. Problem gone.

It is true that you are not allowed to open mail addressed to someone else, but hay, we all want to know what's going on. But you should just return it unopened (but I wouldn't make a special trip to the letter box ;-) ).

Also be aware that it is not unknown for a DCA to be looking for YOU but change the details of the 'debtor' in order to get you to confirm who you really are. Then 2 months after calling and telling them your not Miss X but Mrs Y they start chasing you for a statute barred debt because they were really looking for Mrs Y.