• Tweets

• You need to choose between ET and small claims, you cannot do both. For straightforward wages I'd go small claims. Faster and less messing about. Advice here Employment claims in the civil courts - Working Families WORKINGFAMILIES.ORG.UK Some types of employment-related claims can be brought in the civil courts, rather than in an Employment Tribunal. This advice page offers a high level...  
    • The garages are used - just car currently being fixed.  I have no need of what they offer.  It is conscious trespass - and the law allows. Which is frustrating.  It's just v annoying that they do this. Isn't there a law that someone cannot prevent access to a public highway from private land?
    • The problem with sending it too early is that Jake might try to write something called a Supplemental Witness Statement to undermine yours.  It would be better to send yours right on the court's deadline. The problem is that we don't know when that is.  In 90% of cases it's 14 days before the court's deadline, so 21/06.  However, in the odd case the judge decides differently.  
    • Signs and notes on windscreens wouldn't deter me either. after all. it's private land and very little deterrent to stop drivers from abusing it. A physical barrier, IMHO is the only way you will stop them abusing it.....or, depending on what businesses they are, why not rent out your garage to them, ask them for a staff discount if you purchase anything from them? Whilst it is irksome, how much money have you got to throw at it, and is it really that important in your life? If you were using your garage, different story.
    • Still worried about time order - they have not followed procedures. Looking through lists there are some items not been sent, incorrect leaflets sent.  emails sent and we’ve not received. Texts and emails sent and not completed process. Pages worth.  The worst thing is the phone calls. Not got more than 8 minutes of most.  it’s so unfair.  Have sent them emails offering to pay right back to March. All arrears were paid back.  2 payments since.    what other info do you require from me ?    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Debt Collection Practice Review...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5946 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICE REVIEW.

The OFT has published guidance notes [OFT298] in January 2000 outlining the Director General’s views regarding misleading letters and collection charges with relation to licensing persay, and under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The OFT has duly reminded creditors and debt collection agencies that the issue of documents;

Resembling a court summons or other official document.

Leading the debtor to believe they come from or have the authority of a court.

Otherwise containing false or misleading information intended to obtain payment.

May be criminal offences under the County Courts Act 1984 and/or the Administration of Justice Act 1970.

Any practice liable or intended to mislead the debtor – whether as to the origin or authority of any document or as to any other material matter is likely to be regarded as deceitful or oppressive or otherwise unfair or improper within the meaning of section 25(2)(d) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, whether the practice is unlawful or not.

It is an offence under Section 135/136 of the County Courts Act 1984 to deliver or cause to be delivered to any person any document;

Which, by reason of its form or contents has the false appearance of having been issued under the authority of a county court.

Falsely purporting to be a copy of any summons or other process of a county court, knowing it to be false, or to act or profess to act under any pretence of the process or authority of a county court.

It is an offence under Section 40(1)©/(d) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 to falsely present;

A document as having some official character which it has not with the object of coercing another person to pay money claimed as a debt due under a contract.

An individual to be authorised in some official capacity to claim or enforce payment.

It is an offence under Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 and Section 1 of the Malicious Communications Act 1988;

To harass of debtors with a view to obtaining payment including the issue of letters which convey a threat or false information with intent to cause distress or anxiety.

Documents may be in breach of the County Courts Act and/or the Administration of Justice Act even if they do not exactly resemble a court summons or other official document.

Documents may not;

By reason of their form or contents or both, appear to have been issued by or under the authority of a court or other official body.

Mislead as to the nature of the processes involved or the likelihood of legal proceedings.

All statements contained in letters and other documents to consumers must be capable of being substantiated in the event of a complaint.

Debt Collection Charges

There is no legal basis for a creditor or a debt collection agency acting on its behalf to claim collection costs from a debtor unless there is an express provision in the original agreement.

Without such provision, collection charges cannot be demanded as a debt due under the agreement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If an agency claims the right to recover charges under a separate agreement with the debtor, there must be a binding contact to this effect, with legal consideration (ie benefit) provided to the debtor.

A letter advising the debtor of a liability for certain charges is not such an agreement, regardless of whether it is signed by the debtor.

If an indication of charges payable on default is not included in a credit agreement regulated under The Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, it is not properly executed and will not be enforceable against the debtor without a court order.

It is likely to be an ‘unfair or improper business practice’ under Section 25(2)(d) of the Consumer Credit Act if;

Creditors or collection agencies fail to ensure that they do NOT recover collection charges in the absence of an express contractual provision entitling them to do so;

Debtors are led or allowed to believe that they are legally liable to pay such charges where this is not the case.

Any ambiguity in the debtor-creditor agreement as to whether it covers a particular charge, or the permitted amount of the charge is not resolved in favour of the debtor;

Collection charges provided for in the credit agreement are levied at an unreasonable amount and/or are disproportionate to the main debt.

All these issues should be relevant to questions of fitness to hold a licence under the Consumer Credit Act, whether or not they result in prosecution of the individual(s) or company(ies) concerned.

Under section 25(2) of the Consumer Credit Act the fitness of a licensee can be brought into question by the actions of any of its employees, agents or associates, and section 25(3) defines ‘associate’ for these purposes as including a business associate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This document is © Copyright to David Buckley (diskmandave).

This document may be copied freely as long as it is not for profit. No charge may be levied to pass on this document whatsoever. No postage fee may be charged to pass on this document whatsoever.

Exclusive licence is granted to Consumer Action Group to freely copy and/or distribute this document on a “not for profit” basis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Haha 6

Interesting reading that dave, where would costs for a solicitor and court claim stand under this if a dca files for a ccj against you

Simple.... With the winning party.

Which is why Actions should be defended rather than allowed by default.

Regards, Dave. “Debt Help Resource UK.” A not for profit self help resource.

"Debt Collection Charges

There is no legal basis for a creditor or a debt collection agency acting on its behalf to claim collection costs from a debtor unless there is an express provision in the original agreement.

Without such provision, collection charges cannot be demanded as a debt due under the agreement."

I'm adding that to my signature

Thats a good find Dave, keep up the good work.

The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity than a friend is a creditor.

Debt Collection Charges

Without such provision, collection charges cannot be demanded as a debt due under the agreement.

Would a creditor who claimed that an 'application form' or an agreement that did not fulfil the relevant requirements made the debt enforceable not fall foul of:

It is likely to be an ‘unfair or improper business practice’ under Section 25(2)(d) of the Consumer Credit Act if;

Creditors or collection agencies fail to ensure that they do NOT recover collection charges in the absence of an express contractual provision entitling them to do so;

Debtors are led or allowed to believe that they are legally liable to pay such charges where this is not the case.

The OC and DCAs must be the experts in their field so would of course know the minutae of the law and what was enforceable etc. Therefore, to claim that something has the legal weight that it actually does not, should surely be wrong under this guidance.

Newborn

Beaten:

RBS: £4,500

AMEX: £4,200

Barclaycard Visa: £12,100

Barclaycard M/Card: £12,600

(Including the numerous DCAs they have set on me.)

PPI reclaims (into my bank account): £25,000

Linked post...!

-------------------------------------------

icon1.gif The legalities - Debt Harassment

What legislation is out there that helps me??

Section 4A - Public Order Act 1986.

Section 40 - Administration of Justice Act 1970.

Section 1 & 2 - Malicious Communications Act 1988.

The Protection from Harassment Act 1997,

(“the Act”) the provisions of this Act are quite complicated so I have detailed the most interesting bits. The Act was introduced to deal with stalking offences, however, Section 1 can be applied to creditors harassing borrowers whereby a person is guilty of this offence if they pursue a course of conduct that they know is harassment of another. The debtor would need to prove that it had happened more than once.

The Act also allows a borrower to issue civil proceedings, through the Courts and if the claimant is successful then damages may be awarded for any financial loss and anxiety caused by the harassment and hassle.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...dit/oft664.pdf

Debt Collection Guideance...

cag-end-sig.jpg

Section 1 can be applied to creditors harassing borrowers whereby a person is guilty of this offence if they pursue a course of conduct that they know is harassment of another. The debtor would need to prove that it had happened more than once.

this will do for HFO capital limited is it possible to also take this action against MORGAN STANLEY for aiding and abetting in this as they have had several letters asking them to stop HFO from making several phone calls daily

The Public Order Act 1986, Section 5 states:

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he:

(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

Section 4A of the act, which carries a higher maximum punishment, states:

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he:

(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting thereby causing that or another person harassment, alarm or distress.

Thinking more in terms of a civil remedy.

Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (c. 40)

1 Prohibition of harassment

(1) A person must not pursue a course of conduct—

(a) which amounts to harassment of another, and

(b) which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other.

(2) For the purposes of this section, the person whose course of conduct is in question ought to know that it amounts to harassment of another if a reasonable person in possession of the same information would think the course of conduct amounted to harassment of the other.

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to a course of conduct if the person who pursued it shows—

(a) that it was pursued for the purpose of preventing or detecting crime,

(b) that it was pursued under any enactment or rule of law or to comply with any condition or requirement imposed by any person under any enactment, or

© that in the particular circumstances the pursuit of the course of conduct was reasonable.

3 Civil remedy

(1) An actual or apprehended breach of section 1 may be the subject of a claim in civil proceedings by the person who is or may be the victim of the course of conduct in question.

(2) On such a claim, damages may be awarded for (among other things) any anxiety caused by the harassment and any financial loss resulting from the harassment.

• 1 month later...

Is there anything in the regulations that allows a DCA to write off an overpayment on an account without informing that an overpayment has occurred, as this has happened to me, I overpaid by £120 which I never knew about until I recently sent a SAR to find out if they put charges on my account which is obviously now paid in full.

I can't believe they are allowed to do this! I am of course in the process of requesting back my overpayment!

Anyone heard of Lowell Financial Ltd?

They are harrassing my friend for a paid debt that they've bought from T Mobile. They are sending letters in different names.

Red Debt Collection Services and Hamptons Legal.

The small print at bottom of letters states these companies are a "trading style" of Lowell Financial Ltd.

Would this be considered threatening as recipient would initially look at name on top, presume further action taken.....

Are they in breach here?

Can anybody help on my very first question on notice of assignment.

I have received from Atkiv a notice of assignment between First National and GE Capital Global Consumer Finance (Iknow of First National but not of GE Capital) and Aktiv stating a balance of £677.91 whereas my credit file shows a figure of £678. Does the difference in figures make the notice incorrect and worth challenging.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5946 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks