• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA - any ideas what next?

maxsmum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a response from MBNA to my CCA request sent on Nov 9th.

Their letter states:

Thank you for your recent request, I can confirm the following are enclosed:

* Copy of the original Credit Card Application

* Terms and Conditions

* Recent Statement of Account.

The following documents were enclosed:

Financial & Related Conditions. (they 'blacked' out the top and bottom part)

DSC00011-8.jpg

Signature Form (they blacked out the top and bottom, I 'pinked' out my address and signature - yes it is my signature and written date)

mbna.jpg

Then 4 forms which make up the Credit Card Agreement Regulated by the consumer credit act 1974

I do NOT recall ever seeing this agreement before

DSC00001-51.jpg

DSC00002-43.jpg

DSC00003-49.jpg

DSC00004-39.jpg

Is this correct what they sent me?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya,

The 'signature form' as they put it is nothing more than a precontractual application form mailer, The 'financial & related conditions' do seem to contain the prescribed terms, however there is no evident link between the two documents to establish the terms are in fact within the agreement as opposed to on a separate document.

The further 4 forms are what i can only assume to be MBNA's way of bamboozling you with information, their sorely mistaken if they think providing heaps of t&c's on completely separate documents can be construed as compliance with the Form & Content Regulations.

I have seen quite a few MBNA agreements (if you can even call them that), I was in court a few months ago with a similar MBNA type agreement, the implication I get is that unless they can provide the original agreement with the financial & related conditions clearly affixed to the reverse of the 'signature form' then they haven't complied with the regulations.

It's interesting to see that they blacked out certain bits, no doubt to maintain the illusion they have sent a correct agreement, if memory serves correctly above the singature from part they blacked out it has various offers and clearly states it is an application form!

kind regards,

shane

All advice is offered freely & without prejudice

If my post has been useful to you please click the scales

All advice is offered freely & without prejudice

If my post has been useful to you please click the scales

This is in contravention of The Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983. I would also like to refer to Wilson & Anr v Hurstanger Ltd [2007] EWCA Civ 299

33. In my judgment the objective of Schedule 6 is to ensure that, as an inflexible condition of enforceability, certain basic minimum terms are included which the parties (with the benefit of legal advice if necessary) and/or the court can identify within the four corners of the agreement. Those minimum provisions combined with the requirement under section 61 singlthat all the terms should be in a single document, and backed up by the provisions of section 127 (3), ensure that these core terms are expressly set out in the agreement itself: they cannot be orally agreed; they cannot be found in another document; they cannot be implied; and above all they cannot be in the slightest mis-stated. As a matter of policy, the lender is denied any room for manoeuvre in respect of them. On the other hand, they are basic provisions, and the only question for the court is whether they are, on a true construction, included in the agreement. More detailed requirements, which are designed to ensure that the debtor is made aware, so far as possible, of specified information (including information contained in the minimum terms) are to be found in Schedule 1.

According to the above its not enforcable

HAK

Click here for great help:razz:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....hat-youre.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....i-dummies.html

If I have helped please give the scales a press.

• Haha 2

If you query this, or tell them it doesn't comply, MBNA have a template letter which explains that they send the latest Ts&Cs so you won't be confused about why you apparently owe them so much money. Just in case that's not enough, they then waffle about card mailers constituting an agreement.

As HAK points out, what they've sent out is not enforceable.

MBNA rarely seem to enforce debts using the agreements in which they are so confident. Funny, that.

• Haha 1

Following on from my thread from yesterday http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/121580-received-cca-request-mbna.html

and from the other day

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/121308-mbna-i-need-serious.html

MBNA have sent me another letter which I received this morning...

It goes:

A DEFAULT is due to register for SIX YEARS on your credit file in the next few days in relation to the above account. This will seriously affect your ability to gain ANY form of credit in the future.

When the Default is registered, the balance on your account is SOLD to a Third Party.

This means that:

1. You will no longer be a Customer of MBNA

2. The responsibility for recovery of the outstanding balance will be solely that of the Third Party

3. The default registered against you will be transferred into the name of the Third Party

4. The Third Party will take actions they deem appropriate to recover the full outstanding balance.

To prevent this from happening, you must make an IMMEDIATE PAYMENT of £6.30 by debit card payment today. Please call 01244 674663 to clear your outstanding arrears and discuss your repayments.

Please contact one of our account managers immediately. They will be available Monday to Thursday 8am to 9pm, Friday 8am to 5pm and Saturday 8am to 12pm.

Yours sincerely

Any ideas what I do next?

If you are REALLY lucky they will send you a postcard or two with pretty pictures of trees on! I'm waiting for my Christmas card from them (BTW they are NOT on my Christmas card list!)

Seriously though - I've been getting those and other threat-o-grams for nearly 6 months now. No default as yet...

Following on from my thread from yesterday http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/121580-received-cca-request-mbna.html

and from the other day

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/121308-mbna-i-need-serious.html

MBNA have sent me another letter which I received this morning...

It goes:

A DEFAULT is due to register for SIX YEARS on your credit file in the next few days in relation to the above account. This will seriously affect your ability to gain ANY form of credit in the future.

When the Default is registered, the balance on your account is SOLD to a Third Party.

This means that:

1. You will no longer be a Customer of MBNA

2. The responsibility for recovery of the outstanding balance will be solely that of the Third Party

3. The default registered against you will be transferred into the name of the Third Party

4. The Third Party will take actions they deem appropriate to recover the full outstanding balance.

To prevent this from happening, you must make an IMMEDIATE PAYMENT of £6.30 by debit card payment today. Please call 01244 674663 to clear your outstanding arrears and discuss your repayments.

Please contact one of our account managers immediately. They will be available Monday to Thursday 8am to 9pm, Friday 8am to 5pm and Saturday 8am to 12pm.

Yours sincerely

Any ideas what I do next?

Snap, I received exactly the same letter from the idiots this morning.

File under ignore and wait.

After nearly 3 months of battles and them ignoring my emails, letters and faxes, I received this email from them this morning:

Mrs Maxmum

Thank you for your letter, can you please forward the £13.25 as promised in

that letter.

If it is received on your account by the 29th we can continue with the interest free

arrangement otherwise the account will default. Please remember to allow 3 working

days for it to hit the account if paying by cash.

Yours Sincerely,

J.P Connelly, MBNA

I have replied to them:

Many thanks for your email.

Please be aware that I have always paid by Standing Order which goes out of my account on the 6th of each month. This is how my payment is set up and was agreed in the past. I trust we can continue this agreement.

Can I also please ask to send future emails to: [email protected] and not my work email as this was classed as 'spam' and therefore would potentially be overlooked.

Many thanks

Sooo, I read his email that they have accepted my reduced payments...would you agree?

Looks like it, remember to print a copy for your records if you haven't already done so.

First thing I did! I am getting wise to this now. I wished I had discovered this forum a long time ago, might have saved me getting ulcurated colitis from stress.

We live and learn!

• 1 month later...

I have a outstanding debt with MBNA which they agreed to have paid by reduced payments which I have kept up.

This morning I received 2 letters from Debt Clear Recoveries & Investigations Ltd addressed from a PO Box in Manchester telling me that they now own the debt and I need to contact them.

They also state that future payments have to be made to them.

I have a SO that goes to MBNA and is coming out on Tuesday and I will just pay as normal I think.

I have CCA'd MBNA a while back and posted the copies of letters in here (I can't find the old thread) plus I have sent a letter of complaint to MBNA which they are investigating (this was about them not replying to any of my faxes, letters or emails plus to stop the herassment calls)

What should I do next?

Help!!

Until you hear otherwise from MBNA ignore DCRI as they seem to be phishing.

IF they come back with anything more concrete then we'll tackle them.

Of course, DON'T call them at all, and if you answer the phone to them refuse to answer their security questions.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

• 2 months later...

I have been battling with MBNA for a long time now, I cca'd them at the end of last year, which I posted on here. Wasn't clear if the debt was enforcable or not from what they sent me. (I can't find the old thread to link in here)

In the beginning of January I received a letter from Debt Clear & Recoveries saying they now had the debt and it is not with MBNA anymore. MBNA sent me a letter confirming this. I faxed and wrote to this company (debt clear), and the letter was signed for.

I enclosed financial statement, my offer of £13.25 (which MBNA did agree too and then went back on their word). Also asked for bank account and sort code to enable to set up standing order.

Did not receive a response what so ever.

Today I receive a letter from Restons Solicitors stating they will start legal proceedings if the debt is not paid in full.

HELP! I feel sick with worry.

9 threads merged and thread title changed

please keep to the one thread when asking questions or updating .This is in your own interest as you will get much more informed advice when people can see at a glance what you have done so far :-)

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a call from my husband...MBNA have now sent me a court summons for Northampton court and paperwork to complete.

Need to read it all when I get home but I can not get to Northampton that's for sure!

And am very confused as I am keep sending letters to resolve this, but signed for mail but no-one responds to me.

MBNA confirmed to me on the 7th Jan 08 that they passed on my account to Debt Clear Recoveries & Investigations Ltd and that I need to contact them.

I did that, no response...then got the letter from the solicitors who I emailed and they responded:

We are instructed on behalf of our Client MBNA Europe Bank Limited.

We do not act for you and cannot therefore advise you in relation to the above numbered account.

Confused (and scared) or what?

Hi Maxsmum.

When you get home type up the particulars of the claim so that further advice can be offered. They should not being doing this without the properly executed agreement. Unfortunately the court route appears to be an easy option for many creditors at the moment.

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.