Marshal Wards & Some Company called Moorcroft

laineynic
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After dealing with Marshal Wards for about 3 years I have had nothing but problems for the last 8 months. I bought some goods on a buy now paylater over the internet and according to Marshal Wards I never requested the goods to be paid this way.

After an exchange of emails and phone calls I felt I was getting no where so I began paying them. I made payments of £30 - £40 thinking this as enough. After about 3 months I received a staement advsing me that I was in arrears and that I should pay or my account would be reffered to a debt collecting agency.

I rang tham and spoke to them - (not helpful at all). I made arrangements to continue payng my £40 per month.

We moved house in October and it was chaos - I was 2 weeks lat in making the payments to them. Then out of the blue in November I got a letter from a company called Moorcroft. So i contacted Marshall Wards and they said to me that they can't speak to them about my account and that I need to speak to Moorcroft.

Not happy with this I wrote a letter to M/W telling them that I have been making payments to them and I don't intend paying a company I have never heard of. I offered to up my payments to clear my balance quicker and thought end of story. MW and me have always had a good relationship they would surely listen to me.

No - 2 weeks ago I got another letter from Moorcroft saying thank you for your offer of payment and I should continue to make payments of £50.

So I made my last payment on the 17th December - today I received a letter from Moorcroft saying "Our records show that you have defaulted on your agreemtn to pay £50.00 per month with the result you are now in arrears of £50.00. Er no I paid Marshal Wards £50.00 on the 17th December.

If any one can give me advise on hat to do next it would be appreciated. Do I have to pay Moorcoft or can I still pay M/W DIRECT.

M/W seem so unapproachable these days and no one seems to listen.

:idea: :idea:

god i love these moorcroft chimps..they really do take the pis$.

first of all can you establish what this debt is for, as in is it a consumer credit agreement you have signed, or is it a catalogue debt? this is important as if it is a catalogue debt it is very unlikely you have signed an agreement and the debt will not stand up in court.

next we need to remember that moorcroft are a debt collection company and have no powers to do anything at all without a court authority. full stop.

if moorcroft dont have your phone number for gods sake dont let them have it they will send you barmy.

post me details on what the loan is about and how much etc and i will do my best to help you get this under control...

"ALWAYS QUOTE ME AS BEING MISQUOTED" :D

The amount outstanding iss for £593.39 and it was for catalogue goods. Clothes, stuff for the house etc.

Since moving I have a new number which is x-directory so I won't give them this phone number.

My husband is worried that these guys will ruin our credit rating and wants me to pay them asap. I don't want to pay them as I have never been involved with them.

ok..first i would suggest that you have already been defaulted on your credit file as it is not normally passed to a debt collector until a default has been issued. send a £1 p.o off to the credit reference agencies to check this out.it is not unusual for this bunch to apply defaults with out writing and informing you in the correct manner

i read that you ordered some of this on the internet so without full details i cannot be sure if you have signed anything as there is provision for electronic acceptance in the cca.

i would imagine that there are unlawful charges applied to the account as you have stated that they informed you of late payments?

we first need to establish if the debt they have can be enforced and also if any charges have been applied that are unlawful, as you will want to reclaim those and also it is the first line of defence to get the account in dispute, this allows time to address all the info requirements you need and enable you to establish what portion if any of the debt is correct, and also in this case allow you breathing space to get the debt paid off at your pace.

if you have statements for all your transactions and charge details this will help alot, failing which you will need to get them off marshall wards via a subject access request, and look to see if any late payment charges have been applied.

you will also need to do a request under the cca asking for a copy of the signed credit agreement and send them a £1. this should be done straight away and sent to marshall wards and you will then see in 12 working days if they hold a signed agreement or not or if they have electronic agreement via the internet, this needs to be sent recorded delivery.

next send a letter to moorcroft informing them you acknowlege no debt to them and any debt you may hold with marshal ward is being disputed.

do not pay moorcroft any money whilst this is going on, if you feel you still hold a debt with marshal ward and wish to pay them directly that is your call.

but do not enter into a payment agreement with moorcroft while the debt is being disputed.

if you do choose to carry on paying marsall ward, write and tell them that you will pay them directly at the agreed amount whislt this account dispute is being addressed.

there are plenty of posts on moorcroft and you can read these and put your mind at rest they will threaten and harrass but fear not they hold very little fire.

if the debt is in dispute it should suspend any further actions on it whilst this dispute is open, again this gives you time to address the debt or take any other actions you feel are required.

in this case i would imagine that moorcroft are only acting as collectors of the debt on behalf of mw, and have not purchased the debt, so follow the route i have laid out and keep us posted of what transpires..

usually moorcroft will continue to write and send threatening demand letters despite what agreement you make with mw, file them away and ignor them whilst you settle the dispute. remember they only make money if you pay them directly.

mw cannot refuse to take your payments no matter what they say, and as long as moorcroft have not purchased the debt which they have to disclose if asked, nothing can happen further for the near future..

any more help feel free to ask...

and have a happy christmas...it really is nothing to worry about.

"ALWAYS QUOTE ME AS BEING MISQUOTED" :D

Hi

Thank you for the info which has opened my eyes I thought I was going to have to pay moorcroft.

You advise me to send a cca letter to mw can you tell me where I can find this template then I can do it today.

Cheers

Lainey

if the debt is in dispute it should suspend any further actions on it whilst this dispute is open, again this gives you time to address the debt or take any other actions you feel are required.

Do you have anything i can use to back this up to enforce Littlewoods not to continue with the default they are threatening? I've already commenced proceedings but the letter I used before is no good as apparantly it only applies to banks (ie the banking code quote) Here is the link to my thread if you can help

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions/41146-chezt-littlewoods-catalogue.html

You advise me to send a cca letter to mw can you tell me where I can find this template then I can do it today.

Cheers

Lainey

here is what I used for Littlewoods (I nicked bits from everywhere!!!) There are lots more around which may be more suited to your own claim but feel free to beg, borrow n steal if it helps!

'DATE

Consumer Credit Act 1974 s78 (1) Demand

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxx

With reference to the above account, please supply me with a true copy of the credit agreement under which this account is conducted.

I understand that under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.78 (1) for running – account credit) I am entitled to receive a copy of the credit agreement on request - your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose a payment of £1.00 which represents the statutory fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act. Also, I am aware that you are obliged to supply these documents within 12 days.

You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, under S189 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act, creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with a request for a copy of the agreement under these sections of the Act.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Furthermore you are reminded that under s78 sub section (6) whilst the default continues you are not entitled to enforce the agreement in law

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

chezt

Enc - £1.00 Payment'

ps - hope u don't mind me hijacking your thread! :)

links to my current claims ...

My claim - Yorkshire Bank Visa

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Chezt v RBS Joint Account

chezt v Abbey Credit Card

Settled ...

chezt V Duet Card/Creation Finance

chezt v's Studio Cards

chezt v's Littlewoods Catalogue

Next ...

Abbey Joint a/c & Single a/c

Barclaycard (Mine & Hubby's)

Anyone else I can think of ...! :rolleyes:

Just received another letter from Moorcroft - that is 3 since last week. So I rang them.

The guy I spoke to said that unless I begin to make payments to them from today they will have alternative that to issue court proceedings. I told them that I am disputing this account and he told me that yes they had received the letters, but it made no diffeence as the debt had now been passed to them and that I had to pay Moorcroft.

I told him to forget it as far as I was concerned the debt was with Marshall Wards and that was who I was paying.

He told me that they had not received any payments since 19th october 2006. I told him that was funny because I hadn't sent him any payments and also that I had been making regular payments to Mw.

I think I should just pay it. I don't want a ccj from them. I have struggled for the last 18 mponths trying to sort this out and I am tired of it.

I though banks were bad but these companies are ruthless and don't give a s**t. I really want to fight them but I just don't have the energy any more.

i

Hang on in there. My wife had a Littlewoods account passed to Moorcroft but when she told them she was not paying because she had retund an item back in Feb which they had not credited, they backed off a returned it to Littlewoods. I am about to go for Littlewoods as they have acknowlegde in their "statement of events" (send in responce to SAR) the debit is in dipute, not that that stoped then defulting the account. Keep the faith, and good luck, there are lots of people here who will help you all the way.

Creation Financial Services--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

Statements received 28 Oct

PAR sent 30 Oct for £910 Credited £282 as Good will Offer

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

N1 filled out, but they phoned and settelled in full 19 Jan:D

GE Capital--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

Capital One---S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

Great Universal(Littlewoods Shop Direct--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

PAR sent 19 Jan

Nat West--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 26 Oct

Received 27 Oct

Acknowledgement received 28 Oct

Just received another letter from Moorcroft - that is 3 since last week. So I rang them.

The guy I spoke to said that unless I begin to make payments to them from today they will have alternative that to issue court proceedings. I told them that I am disputing this account and he told me that yes they had received the letters, but it made no diffeence as the debt had now been passed to them and that I had to pay Moorcroft.

I told him to forget it as far as I was concerned the debt was with Marshall Wards and that was who I was paying.

He told me that they had not received any payments since 19th october 2006. I told him that was funny because I hadn't sent him any payments and also that I had been making regular payments to Mw.

Did they specifically state they WILL take you to court? :shock:

They have to put any cases on hold that are in dispute so I would write to them or email them via moorcroft website ( enter your ref ) then state it is to be put on hold till further notice. Usually they will only do this for 2 weeks to 1 month so dont be suprised if you have to ask them again to do this.

Speak to a manager Dawn Mcguire if you have no luck.

I think I should just pay it. I don't want a ccj from them. I have struggled for the last 18 mponths trying to sort this out and I am tired of it.

They need specific details in order to issue a CCJ i.e if you are working and homeowner or they generally wont bother. Its not worth their time unless they have this info and the debt is around £10k etc :eek:

I think its worth looking into the templates and you could send them Template A but adapt it to show you are 'in dispute' rather than 'seeking advice and assistance regarding our current financial difficulties'.

Its located at

Thanks to Barracad for this. Ask that they send you written conf that the account is on hold as they wont automatically do this.:D

Maxibon

Gonna take them for all I can and enjoy every second!:lol:

RBS Account 1- S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 20/12/2006

RBS Account 2 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 20/12/2006

RBS Ac1- recvd S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 28/12/2006

Statements recvd Account 1 on 05/01/07

LBA issued for Account 1 on 06/01/07

7 days grace being given till 09/02/07

Still no Response to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) on Acc 2

Breach on acc 2 DPA request

N1 filed acc 2 28/02/07

Acknowledged 16/03/07

Defense submitted 30/03/07

If you need any advice re Moorcroft just ask!! :cool:

If I have been of any help and you think I deserve it!

Please click my scales to the left and if you wish leave a comment :D

Hi,

As far as I'm concerned, catalogue debts are unenforceable. These sort of agreements generally work on the basis that they will provide goods, in return for a percentage pmt of the total goods value at a usually exploitative interest rate. This is a type of credit agreement. A credit agreement is only enforceable through the Court and in the absence of the agreement, they cannot enforce it. Neither can they apply for a CCJ. They have to commence proceedings, go through the whole legal process and only if they won and you couldn't pay, would they be able to do that!

I haven't paid a penny to a catalogue company for about 7-8mnths. They have threatened me with Court, involved DCA's for more threats and imminent Court action. Did any of it amount to anything? No! A threat starts to lose its impact when its repeated 20 times a week!

Something that is very important to remember, is that when you add up the penalty charges levied to your account and interest added on top, harassment and threats from the company and DCA's employed by them, you have a substantial claim against them, which would probably end up wiping out the debt anyway! As I have said to others, let them make mistakes and do and say things they shouldn't. Make a note of the frequency of calls, jot down details and names and before you know it, you will have compiled a dossier against them! Keep all letters also!

Get all details of notes on the account, anything wrong, or defamatory can be used against them. Force them to provide you with a copy of the contract and the terms and conditions of the agreement(v. important). It is almost a certainty that any contract's t&c's will be totally biased in their favour and in all probability will contravene the Consumer Contract Regulations 1999, more ammunition to use against them! These companies can be beaten, you can even get your money back in certain circumstances, you just have to be prepared to do a little digging to find things to use in your fight!

Don't be intimidated by these morons, I have found that if you hit back, either down the phone or by letter(be careful what you say however) they back off! There is nothing they hate more than someone who is familiar with the law and isn't afraid to point out the unlawfulness of their actions. They like to prey on easy targets, people they can frighten with threats about the consequences of failing to pay.The chances of a catalogue company going to Court in my humble opinion is remote.

In letters I have written, which I must admit I have taken sadistic pleasure in, I've practically begged the catalogue company to take me to Court. Even saying that I am really looking forward to receiving the papers, so that I can respond with a very lengthy counter-claim! They don't know what to do with such letters, so they go quiet for a couple of months and then send pretty much the same letter, with the same old threats and so we repeat the process! Having advised them that under no circumstances whasoever will I ever be paying the debt, you think they would have started legal action. I'm still waiting........

Hope this helps!

Laiste.:)

Do you have anything i can use to back this up to enforce Littlewoods not to continue with the default they are threatening? I've already commenced proceedings but the letter I used before is no good as apparantly it only applies to banks (ie the banking code quote) Here is the link to my thread if you can help

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions/41146-chezt-littlewoods-catalogue.html

Just came back to say it doesn't matter about this bit now as I'm gonna use the 'Statutory Notice pursuant to Sections 10 & 12 of The Data Protection Act 1998/Data Subject Notice' as advised by me mate willowb .... good luck with your claim! :)

links to my current claims ...

My claim - Yorkshire Bank Visa

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Chezt v RBS Joint Account

chezt v Abbey Credit Card

Settled ...

chezt V Duet Card/Creation Finance

chezt v's Studio Cards

chezt v's Littlewoods Catalogue

Next ...

Abbey Joint a/c & Single a/c

Barclaycard (Mine & Hubby's)

Anyone else I can think of ...! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Just can't believe it - today I have received a ltter from Shop Direct Financial Services - in the leetr it says We have enclosed a true copy of your agreement with Shop Direct Finance Services ltd - Not enclosed.

It goes on to say that I opened my account in 2004 amd to date the balance is £582.39 - Since October I have been paying £50.00 per month the first letter I received from Moorcroft was on the 20th october the balance was £582.39. So basically SDFS are saying I have paid nothing of my account in 5 months.

The parting sentence is - we look forward to receiving confirmation that liability for this debt is not disouted together with your proposals for payment of the outstanding balance.

God knows where my money is going.

• 3 months later...

For the last 12 months I have been harrassed by Marshal Wards over an account I have had with them for over 5 years. I have always kept up my payments or so I thought until everything seemed to go pear shaped in Augsut last year.I owed them £389.00 and I made regular monthly payments to them ov between £30 and £50.00. But I kept getting arrears letters and then in October I got a letter from a compnay called Moorcroft. They sent me 2 - 3 letters per week threatening legal action unless I paid them. As i had never heard of them i refused to pay. But continued to pay Marshall Ward. I got a letter telling me that the debt had been passed to another organisation and that no payments had been made since June 2006. I could't understand this as I had always made a pyament.So i printed of all payments made to Marshall wards from my bank and it turned out that I had paid the full amount. Whuilst looking at my print out I realised that the account number on the print out had 1 digit different to my account staement fro Marshall Wards. I realsied that when I set up the payments on my bank I had inadvertently put the wrong account number in.I sent everything to Marshall Wards advising them that I had made a stupid mistake and that I would like them to trace the payments. I have heard absolutely nothing whatsoever from Marshall Wards. They have the money I have sent to them in some account somewhere and I don't know where.Any ideas as to what I do. Marshall Ward have ignored me and the collections company have ignored me. Would it be owrth writing to my bank?

• 4 weeks later...

I received a letter back from LLoyds Tsb. After waiting 4 weeks for the reply this is what they say."Unfotunately, in view of customer confidentiality and due to the fact that there has been no bank error, I am unable to assist with this matter."So basically the bank is not going to help me to retireiev or find out where I have paid the money. I don't know what to do now.Marshal ward won't budge and believe me that I have stupidly paid money into the wrong account even though I have proof of doing so. The TSB are just useless.So thats it I have lost all the mony I have paid into this account and I still have to pay Marshall Wards.Does anyone have an idea what or where I can go now?

do you EVER remeber signing a credit agreement?

Most catalogue companies supply credit without an agreement (very foolish)

to lose the collections company and to get MW to shut up send both of them this.................

Dear sirs

I do not acknowledge ANY debt to your company. I require you to supply the following documentation before I will correspond further on this matter.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 s.77 (1) - your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose a £1 postal order in payment of the statutory fee, PO Serial Number

3. You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not under S189 of the CCA 1974.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

Yours sincerely

they might stamp their feet and take a tantrum, BUT if they cant produce a signed agreement then they cant collect the debt

I have used this to good effect and got rid of a welcome loan of £2700.

its not for everyone and I dont want to start with moral issues, but i figure if they can scr*w you why not give them a taste of their own medicine.

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Hi Rosysparkle - when I set up the bill payment through my bank, I must have out the wrong customer number in the details.

Davefirewalker - Thanks for the letter but I have done all of that and all I am getting is silense and being told it's not been dealt wih by Marshal Wards and I have to speak to Morrcroft.

• 4 weeks later...

Last week we applied for a loan to buy a new car and wer refused due to a default from Augut last year.

I got my credit referece today from Crdit Expert -I have discovered that the defukt was posted by Marshall Wards.

A month ago Marshall Wards admitted that they couldn't trace the money I have paid to them, but do believe I have made these payments, because of th proof I have provided.

How can I ask for this default to be removed? It does seem grossly unfair when I had mad payments to them to put this on my account.

You can also CCA the new debt owners, as they should now have a copy of the CCA. With regards to having paid the original company if the account number you have put down is not to marshall wards, even with the proof of payment you haven't paid them but another company/person. It is really harsh and unfair. but it is your mistake and not Marshall Wards.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Its funny that whenever a company pays money into an individual's account by mistake posters are quick to state that the money should be repaid to the company but when someone posts that they have paid money to company but quoted an incorrect reference number (although it has gone to the correct company bank account) they aren't as interested and will say its your mistake

here's an example

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/106974-money-put-my-account.html

I have seen this on moneysaving expert too

Yorkshire born and Yorkshire bred, thick in the arm and thick in the head