Mackenzie Hall

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6011 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, This is my first post. My sister received a letter today off the above asking her if she still lives at her address. I'm just wondering whether she should get back to them really. From what I've read I assume that letting them know she still lives there, she is offering herself up to receive a lot of hassle. I'm just worried that if she ignores this matter it will just mean a lot of trouble for her.:confused:

Does your sister have any debts? This company is a debt collection agency.

They are probably just doing their normal mass mailing to people with the same name as a debtor they are chasing. Your sister should not phone them.

Personally I would just file the letter away.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I'd keep the letter but not respond to it. Mackenzie Hall are probably fishing around for someone with a similar name.

If your sister does have an old debt it's perfectly possible that she may genuinely have forgotten about it or thought it was settled. But cross that bridge if and when she comes to it.

Remember that the onus is on a DCA to prove a debt exists, not on you to prove it doesn't :)

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

• 3 months later...

A letter from Mackenzie Hall has just arrived at my parents house in the UK. It details an outstanding student loan which I haven't heard about in the 8 years I've been living in Australia. I'm already paying off a different debt to Student Loans.

Can i claim that the debt is now statute barred?

Should I bother replying to the letter?

The debt is for 700 pounds, given that MH are now dealing with it, have SLC washed thier hands of it do you think?

Thanks for any input,

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy - you should start your own thread about this so we can help you. Yes, it's Statute Barred - which means you still owe it, but they can't enforce it. Personally, I'd reply and get rid once and for all - but that's up to you. If you decide to go that way, start your own thread, pm me the url and I'll happily help you with the letters. As I had a similar thing with my folks recently - and Muckhall have gone quiet now.

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

It will actually depend on when the loan was taken out as to whether it is statute barred or not -the rules changed with the new-style loans to amke them like mortgages, giving 12 years to pursue.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.