• Tweets

• that was a good saving on an £8k debt dx
    • Find out how the UK general elections works, how to register to vote, and what to do on voting day.View the full article
    • "We suffer more in imagination than in reality" - really pleased this all happened. Settled by TO, full amount save as to costs and without interest claimed. I consider this a success but feel free to move this thread to wherever it's appropriate. I say it's a success because when I started this journey I was in a position of looking to pay interest on all these accounts, allowing them to default stopped that and so even though I am paying the full amount, it is without a doubt reduced from my position 3 years ago and I feel knowing this outcome was possible, happy to gotten this far, defended myself in person and left with a loan with terms I could only dream of, written into law as interest free! I will make better decisions in the future on other accounts, knowing key stages of this whole process. We had the opportunity to speak in court, Judge (feels like just before a ruling) was clear in such that he 'had all the relevant paperwork to make a judgement'. He wasn't pleased I hadn't settled before Court.. but then stated due to WS and verbal arguments on why I haven't settled, from my WS conclusion as follows: "11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. "  He offered to stand down the case to give us chance to settle and that that was for my benefit specifically - their Sols didn't want to, he asked me whether I wanted to proceed to judgement or be given the opportunity to settle. Naturally, I snapped his hand off and we entered negotiations (took about 45 minutes). He added I should get legal advice for matters such as these. They were unwilling to agree to a TO unless it was full amount claimed, plus costs, plus interest. Which I rejected as I felt that was unfair in light of the circumstances and the judges comments, I then countered with full amount minus all costs and interest over 84 months. They accepted that. I believe the Judge wouldn't have been happy if they didn't accept a payment plan for the full amount, at this late stage. The judge was very impressed by my articulate defence and WS (Thanks CAG!) he respected that I was wiling to engage with the process but commented only I  can know whether this debt is mine, but stated that Civil cases were based on balance of probabilities, not without shadow of a doubt, and all he needs to determine is whether the account existed. Verbal arguments aside; he has enough evidence in paperwork for that. He clarified that a copy of a DN and NOA is sufficient proof based on balance of probabilities that they were served. I still disagree, but hey, I'm just me.. It's definitely not strict proof as basically I have to prove the negative (I didn't receive them/they were not served), which is impossible. Overall, a great result I think! BT  
    • Seeking further advice now. The 33 days in which the defendant has to submit a defence expires at 16:00 tomorrow. The defendant has submitted an acknowledgement of service but looking to get the claim awarded by default in failure to submit the defence. This is MoneyClaim Online and can see an option to request a default judgement but believe that is for failure to acknowledge the claim within 14 days??  So being MoneyClaim Online, how do I request the claim be awarded in my favour?
    • Have to agree with the above Health and safety legislation is specific in that the service provider in so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees and those not in the employ of the business. You claim is like saying you slipped in the swimming pool area while taking a dip. As rightly stated by by the leisure centre, a sports hall has dedicated equipment and you yourself personally have a legal obligation in mitigating danger or injury to yourself by taking account of your immediate surroundings. Where your claim will fail is if it is reasonable and proportionate to impose liability of the Leisure Centre? The answer has to be no.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Allied International Credit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

First time writer long time reader!

I am currently being pursued by good old Allied International for a debt with Natwest as I have been signed off work sick due to stress conjured up by the relentless badgering from debt collectors.

I have made them nominal offers (as much as i can afford) in-line with other debts I owe. But they have either ignored my offers or in the last case when I spoke on phone to them, not recieved the offers?? (sounds suspicious).

I have now been presented with 'Settlement Offer' letter in which I have till May 30th to call them and I'm guessing make them a (as they call it) "generously reduced" offer. How on earth am I suppost to make them an offer for the balance when I can bearly offer them £10 a month??

Does anyone know how I can go about handling this because I am getting quite sick and tired of saying the same things over and over again to these people.

Many thanks in advance

Steve:)

:) STEFANO :)

Steve Firstly NEVER SPEAK TO THESE PEOPLE ON THE PHONE

Secondly you need to send off CCA letters to all your creditors to see who actually had a legal right to be chasing you for these alleged debts

You would be better starting your own thread and then any advice you get will not get mixed up with the owner of this thread

hi, sorry to hear that AIC are hounding you.

If you were a mind to then you could check that there is a valid CCA in place to check they have a legal right to collect it.

Even if they were foolish enough to take you to court you can only pay what you can afford to pay. A judge would take your finances and your situation into account

What AIC are trying to do is cut a deal as they do this all the time and they wont give up easily.

If you go down the CCA route you will find if stressful i am afraid but if this is an old agreement there is a fair chance they might not have a copy and until they find it they will not be able to enforce through the courts.

Remember there are plenty of people on this forum to help and it will make you stronger and wiser as well.

Just remember that most of the time the DCA will tell you anything to get some money out of you as that is their job and until we challenge their right to collect the debt and to harrass us it will continue.

At the end of the day it is your decision but it will not be easy and you may actually find that you could reduce your debts by gaining a lot of knowledge from this forum and take back control of the situation.

You will find that AIC settlement figures change all the time. I negotiated down to 60% eventually and when I mentioned a CCA they said they had made a mistake with their figures and it would go up if I didnt pay by end of month.

They are liars and have not once replied to any of my letters.

Good luck.

RBS/Triton - Gone Away No CCA

RBS/Moorcroft - Gone way No CCA

RBS/AIC - Gone Away No CCA

RBS/Intrum - Gone Away No CCA

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Cahoot/Link - CCA in Dispute

Capital One - Settled

Lloyds Bank - Awaiting Outcome from Supreme Court Hearing.

Lloyds Credit Credit - Repayment Plan

Thank you for your advice I have looked into cca letters just and this is what ive came up with :-

Dear Mr Lavery

Re: − Case No:

Client Ref No:

With reference to the above agreement, we would be grateful if you would send me a copy of this credit agreement.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Sections 77−79), I am entitled to receive a copy of my credit agreement on request. I enclose a payment of £1.00 which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act.

I understand a copy of my credit agreement should be supplied within 12 working days.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with a request for a copy of the agreement under these sections of the Act.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Steven

Is that ok?

:) STEFANO :)

Thats OK

under the same sections you are also entitled to

...a statement signed by or on behalf of the creditor showing, according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer,--

(a) the total sum paid under the agreement by the debtor;

(b) the total sum which has become payable under the agreement by the debtor but remains unpaid, and the various amounts comprised in that total sum, with the date when each became due; and

© the total sum which is to become payable under the agreement by the debtor, and the various amounts comprised in that total sum, with the date, or mode of determining the date, when each becomes due.

You could ask for that too

this is what I send for my current and credit card accounts.

when they start harrassing you you come back to the forum and we will give you a harrassment letter

BTW get a big folder to put it in and record any phone calls you received in a log showing date, time, name of caller and do not speak to them

speedtrip

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY

RE: WCE WILLMOTT, CLIENT REFS *************

With reference to the above accounts, I request that you send me a true copy of the credit agreements before I will correspond further on this matter.

This is my right under the legislation contained within section 77 (1) and section 78 (1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, and I am entitled to receive a copy of my credit agreement on request.

Your obligation also extends to providing me with a statement of account. I enclose a £1 postal order, which represents payment of the statutory fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act. I understand that a copy of my credit agreement should be supplied within 12 working days from the date of this letter.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act, creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with a request for a copy of the agreement under these sections of the Act.

Also, since you are a Debt Collection Agency, I would also ask that you supply a signed true copy of the executed deed of assignment for the above referenced agreement. This is an obligation, whether you are the original creditor or not, under section 189 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

In summary, I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THIS DEBT AND THEREFORE REQUIRE YOU TO SUBSTANTIATE THIS BY PROVIDING THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION BEFORE I CORRESPOND FURTHER :

1. True copy of original credit agreement

2. Statement of account

3. Copy of the executed deed of assignment from (Original Creditor) and (DCA)

4. A Fair Processing Notice.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

Further to the above, please ensure that any contact by yourselves is made in writing only to the above address. Telephone calls and personal visits will not be accepted and viewed as harassment.

I look forward to hearing from you within the statutory time limit.

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

mods could you move the relevant posts to a new thread for stefan to give him a helping hand,

thanks

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

Thank you

one question though . . . .

How do I start my own thread??

Hi stefano, click on this link it will take you to the main Debt Collection Industry Forum. If you then scroll all the way down to the bottom you will see a button. "new thread" click on that and a new page will open up, you just give your thread a title.. "Stefano agains the world" or whatever .. type in your question and hit submit. :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/

• Haha 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

now received a letter from court in connection with o/d on current a/c

the court has ordered that claim be allocated to fastrack which is not what i wanted.

has also instructed claimant (bank) to provide me and the court with copies of credit agreement, default, termination notices, statement of account, details of charges, or file a statement explaining why they cannot comply ... deadline is about 2 weeks away.

if they do not comply i have the option of applying to strike out

lets see what happens:shock:

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

deadline falls due next week and nothing received this week.

wonder what they are thinking right now:?

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

Probably praying for divine intervention :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Nothing yet and almost at deadline.

Also nothing at court.

If they do no comply what is likely outcome and what advice do you have for me.

What should I do next?

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

Also nothing at court.

What should I do next?

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

bump

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

Also nothing at court.

What should I do next?

The answer seems to lie in your post, above, here;

now received a letter from court in connection with o/d on current a/c

the court has ordered that claim be allocated to fastrack which is not what i wanted.

has also instructed claimant (bank) to provide me and the court with copies of credit agreement, default, termination notices, statement of account, details of charges, or file a statement explaining why they cannot comply ... deadline is about 2 weeks away.

if they do not comply i have the option of applying to strike out

lets see what happens:shock:

Is this waht you mean?

thanks car ....

just wanted to check my understanding

... once the deadline has passed how would i go about taking this foward ...

would i just write a polite letter to the court requesting this and do you know of a template i can use

also once it is struck out ...is it just this claim and could they raise another in future

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

There's a couple of ways to do it - sorry, don't have time to elaborate now, but can you post again when the deadline has passed and I'll pop back in to help out. (When I have more time :p )

The strike out generally means they can't bring the claim on the same grounds again - they can request the strike out be struck out(I know! :rolleyes:) so it might not be that easy.

thanks car .... you will hear from me very soon

have a g8 day

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

ok today was the day and nothing received so what next?

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

There's 2 ways to do that - the informal and the formal route.

The informal route is to send a letter to the Court and ask them to take the action that you want. You can do this by letter, to the Court manager, who should refer the letter/file to a Judge. This would be the way I would approach this first, personally.

The formal route is a bit more complicated. That would involve completing a N244 Application Notice (found here; http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n244_0400.pdf) outlining what you want. There is also a fee for the submission of this form - it's £40 without a hearing and £70 with a hearing. (So, that's an application without a hearing request, then? ;) )

As there's a fee for the formal route, I'd suggest going the informal route first - the Judge may turn around and refuse to even consider it until you've submitted the Application Notice and Court fee. If that happens, you can then submit the form and fee, but it may save you the hassle of doing it.

Of course, he could also decline the application altogether.

Personally, I would write to the Court informally - I would then send a copy of that letter to the other side, as that might spur them on a little. It will also show them that you know what you're doing and aren't prepared to be ignored - once you have their attention, them knowing you know your stuff, (which you do, with our help!) you're more likely to get a result, IMHO.

There is another thing you should consider here - making this application, now, could actually delay the final hearing of your claim. Why? Well, it's most likely that the Judge will order a hearing to hear the application, or they may want a directions/allocation hearing, where it will be considered. This will take time, as it will be listed, then heard, then final directions ordered - all this is a delay, as (without the application) it could have happened much more quickly than had you not made the application.

Basically, if you don't care about the timescales involved, I would make the application. If you want this dealt with as quickly as possible, don't make the application, but wait for the Court to order standard directions instead.

Thanks CAR for your help here.

I am not worried about the timescales tbh although it would nice to get rid of it completely and focus on other things although i realise that is unlikely.

I guess the informal approach is the way to go if the judge does ask for application to be submitted this could tell delay things from that point.

I will compose a suitable letter and post it up here for all to see.

Thanks again

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

I'd just like to throw my lot in, and remind everyone not to give in to these bullies.

I've been fighting a long standing battle with AIC for a few months now - i got some very good help from the National Debtline and Martin Lewis' MoneySavingExpert.com - and it looks like some excellent advice is being handed out here too.

Thay have so far failed to supply a CCA, and have passed their 30 day mark, so i sent a letter telling them so and will now have pleasure reporting their bullying behaviour to Trading Standards.