Can they put a charge on my property?

mazel01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5895 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have got an unsecured loan with HFC and have been paying reduced monthly payments to them for the past 5 months as I could not afford to pay the original amount. They called me this morning to say that if I don't start to pay the full monthly instalment then they will place a charge on my property.

This is an unsecured loan, can they put a charge on my property?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well before they even think about this they would have to take you to court and then, if you didn't keep up the agreed repayments they could apply for a charging order.

As ever they are talking out of their collective bottoms.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Now to keep things nice and simple I'd get in touch with Payplan or National Debtline and set up an official repayment program.

This should keep them off your back.

Also NEVER talk to these "people" on the phone as they will say anything to get money out of you.

send them a full sar/cca request, HFC have a habit of not having credit agreements:D

good luck, and curly bens right, never speak to them on the phone, put it all in a letter!

best wishes

birchave:)

9-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent:o !! Lloyds and Halifax!

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Capital One

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax Card Services

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Marbles

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax (Birchave0's sis)

8-3-07 PPI refund Lloyds TSB Loan £1200 + £2900 off loan balance

22-5-07 Halifax *Won* £1025

23-9-07 Goldfish 8k balance written off, £2300 PPI + charges returned, no agreement

a few things to bear in mind.

a) if they are trying to force you into paying an unrealisticly high sum it could be against the OFT's guidance on debt collection. I think it is s2.6f which covers this (have a read of the guidance by following the link in the "stickies" at the top of the forum).

b) court action should be used as a last resort, anything but could go against the "overriding objective".

c) if you have many creditors then a DMP could be a good option if you cannot meet your contractual monthly instalments.

Here's the OFT's guidance: http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

As my learned friend mentions section 2.6f does apply.

pressurising debtors to pay in full, in unreasonably large instalments,

or to increase payments when they are unable to do so

YES, don't hang about.

Also send a SAR as well and see how much in charges there are.

After all you'd rather pay what you truely owe and NOT their inflated, unlawful charges.

There's a template letter here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

I have just plucked up the courage to open some mail that arrived this morning and what a surprise I have received a letter from the solicitors acting for HFC (Weightmans).

' They don't recall receiving this months reduced agreed payment and unless it is received within the next 3 days, they shall commence further legal proceedings without further notice....they are referring to this charge over my property.

I cannot afford to pay this within the next 3 days, so hopefully they should receive my CCA request tomorrow as I have sent it to both them & HFC.

This will then put the account into dispute and buy me some time...am I correct?

I am so worried about this :shock:

I am just going through my paperwork from this lot and have come across 2 Default notices for the same loan/account no. One dated September 2006 and the other Feb 2007. I thought they cannot serve more than one default notice on the account?

It's a hassle. It's a nuisance. Especially when the Post Office closes at lunchtime, but please remember to send all mail by signed for recorded delivery.

It's £1.04 (I think) - quite outrageous but you'll love it when the receipted signature comes up on the Royal Mail website.

Regards

Vandermerwe