Claim for charges taken from benefits

steven4064
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got all the statements this morning in over 50 seperate envelopes!! Postie nearly had a fit!

Even GE Money (who are not normally known for their sense) managed to send all the statements in one envelope.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As part of this process we wrote a letter to the Job Centre and local tax office. Today we received an astounding answer from the job centre where they say

We have no authority to become involved with any disagreements you have with your bank, you have entered into a contract witthem and by doing so accept their rules and regulations including any charges levied.
The SSAA1992 and TCA2002 both say that any such agreement is void. Oh well!

Got all the statements this morning in over 50 seperate envelopes!! Postie nearly had a fit!

Even GE Money (who are not normally known for their sense) managed to send all the statements in one envelope.

http://www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk/news?articleid=3103510

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]if my response has been of help to you, please click on my scales. thank you:)

Thanks for that.

I read on one thread that someone got over 50 copies of their statements

Howard told me when i queried similar response that due to postal rules re weight they can only fit 5 statements in each envelope per first class stamp.iftherewasanemoticonbyaugestqx6.gif Apparently they are unaware of the Post Office small packet service, or can`t be *rsed to go down to Post Office to post them.

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales

As part of this process we wrote a letter to the Job Centre and local tax office. Today we received an astounding answer from the job centre where they say................................

Hi Steven

re letter from job centre. Need that answer be the end of it from the job centre. Perhaps this was from someone who had not fully thought it through, perhaps dealing with complaints or such like. Would a letter to someone up the command chain be beneficial? Just a thought. Sometimes the same question to differnt parts of an organisation illicits different answers, although you'll be aware of that.:)

I did a sort of pincer movement - local jobcentre and Minister for Work anad Pensions - hoping the messsage might percolate from both ends and meet in the middle. Well, it was a plan! (did the same for tax credits - local tax office and chancellor of the exchequer)

Hiya Steven,

Can you give me any advice??

I have been given the link to your thread and have read with interest......95% of all my charges were taken whilst I was on income support.

However when I started my claim I had not mentioned this before as I was unaware it was illegal to take money from social security benifits, is there any way that I can include this in to my claim and maybe add arguments to the lifting of my stay??

Heres the link to my thread Kelley V's HSBC

Any advice on this would be appreciated

Kelley

Hiya Steven,

Can you give me any advice??

I have been given the link to your thread and have read with interest......95% of all my charges were taken whilst I was on income support.

However when I started my claim I had not mentioned this before as I was unaware it was illegal to take money from social security benifits, is there any way that I can include this in to my claim and maybe add arguments to the lifting of my stay??

Heres the link to my thread Kelley V's HSBC

Any advice on this would be appreciated

Kelley

Hi Kelley

Sorry not to answer before but I have been away. You could include it but it is probably better to include a statement that you are on benefits and the charges have caused and are causing severe hardship. Therefore the stay is unfair on you as it prolongs the period of hardship.

You might find this of use which I've cut from another thread -

This direct quote is taken from the FSA Press Release, dated 27th July:

"The FSA also expects firms to continue to help their customers avoid incurring unauthorised overdraft charges in the first instance and to continue to deal with hardship cases."

and this in the FAQ's:

"Consumers who are in very difficult financial circumstances - 'hardship cases'

Banks and building societies will have to conduct a filtering process to ensure that cases of genuine hardship are still dealt with during the waiver period. Cases of hardship would still be entitled to be referred to, and dealt with by, the FOS."

Clearly, where a bank fails to deal with a case involving "hardship", the FOS will be expected to intervene - AND the FSA may also consider withdrawing the waiver.

Full press release:

FSA grants waiver to firms on complaints handling

Hey Steven - just wanted to say that you're doing a top job. I'm on benefits and Abbey used payments of these to clear a build up of bank charges - so I'm looking at ways to use this angle if my claim gets stayed. I hope it's okay to use some bits from your POC above?

One minor point (I'm sure you're already on top of it) - in your POC above you mention that you're claiming back court charges, but if you're on certain benefits these are exempted - there's a from EX160 that you have to complete for th court and submit with the N1 along with proof of the benefit.

:) Captial One - Won!

:) Egg Card - Won!

:confused: Abbey National - Stayed pending Test Case Judgement

Hi Steven

Good Luck with this and my signature gone on as well.

30-12-2006--Requested statements from Local Halifax.

02-02-2007--Statements Recieved.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

20-04-2007--Reply , Thanks , give us 8wks letter.

02-0502007--Sent L.B.A. & Schedule of Charges

11-05-2007--Recieved reply ,still investigating.

17-05-2007--Sent Amended L.B.A. for Contractual Interest this time.

14-06-2007--Received standard Bog Off letter.

13-06-2007--Took N1 to Local Courts.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

Have till 09-07-2007 to file Defence.

05-07-2007--Note that Acknowledgment of Service been Filed on 29-06-2007.

Have 28 days from date of Service to File Defence.

07-07-2007--Offer from Halifax.

09-07-2007--Rejection letter sent to Halifax. Next day delivery.

10-07-2007--Money put in Account:mad:

Thanks Kenny

This is not directly relevant in that the claimant was not on benefits but it is relevant in that she used the 'hardship' deffence to stop the bank taking charges whilst the case was stayed.