Chip & PIN again

JimmyTheOne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5915 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

they didn't expect people to read the T&Cs. I wonder why.

Arf!

In fairness, I don't think I've ever actually read all the T&Cs of any account I've ever opened.... until now, that is. Just converted my Egg CC into a loan (so I can DPA them for charges!) and read every last one of the clauses in the T&Cs, underlining the ones that aren't enforceable!

Like the idea of phoning them everytime I use the card... "Well, the T&Cs said I should"!

A&L: Settled - £6,200

HFC: Settled - £800

Shell Visa: Settled - £250

Egg: Settled - £700

Mint: Settled - £1200

RBS: Settled - £850

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said once before in another thread, I would like to go into a bank to open a new account, sit down with an advisor and when it gets to the point of signing the contract I would go through it all and cross out all the clauses that I didn't agree with and lower all the penalty charges to realistic figures (max £1.50), initial all the changes and sign the contract. I know they will refuse the account, but I would feel so much better!!! :D

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

I didn't realise that you didn't have to have a c & P but could get C & S.

To get a sig card you could just say that you cannot remember any numerics, PIn's, Birthdays, phone numbers etc (there probably is a recognised disorder) and that you would have to write down any PIN therefore making the system un safe in your case.

Bank Claim Result

NatWest £2051 UnGagged myself. They paid up in full:D

Barclays £641.81 Settled in full.:D

MBNA AOL £390 account credited

MBNA Card £880 account credited

MBNA Loan £115 LBA 03/07

I didn't realise that you didn't have to have a c & P but could get C & S.

To get a sig card you could just say that you cannot remember any numerics, PIn's, Birthdays, phone numbers etc (there probably is a recognised disorder) and that you would have to write down any PIN therefore making the system un safe in your case.

Absolutely

You can add the one number you can remember you use for something else (The combination lock for your suitcase) and you want to comply with best advice from the card watch website - you don't use the same number for more than one application. This, in an awful lot of cases, is the absolute truth, it certainly is in mine. A C&S card will be forthcoming.

To get a sig card you could just say that you cannot remember any numerics, PIn's, Birthdays, phone numbers etc (there probably is a recognised disorder)

It's called DYSCALCULIA:D

Elsinore

If you claimed to have dyscalcula, making it impossible to process PINs, would the banks technically be in breach of the Disability Discimination Act for refusing you a signature card?

Would certainly be worth mentioning in a "cat+pigeons" sort of way...

A&L: Settled - £6,200

HFC: Settled - £800

Shell Visa: Settled - £250

Egg: Settled - £700

Mint: Settled - £1200

RBS: Settled - £850

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

If you claimed to have dyscalcula, making it impossible to process PINs, would the banks technically be in breach of the Disability Discimination Act for refusing you a signature card?

What a devious mind you have, fivelaws!!;)

• 1 month later...

Think I will try this one out next week and see what LTSB say8-)

OH has 'diagnosed' learning difficulties which make it impossible for him to remember PIN's and, since C&P, has relied on me to whisper it to him when making a transaction:eek: :eek:.

Will let you know what they say.

Sproggi

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Card [problem] Victims 500, and Rising

Cash Card Machine Clone Menace.

Fear of Card Cloning at Garage.

Tamper Proof ATMs' well maye not.

(Tamper proof ATMs - BBC Radio 4 MoneyBox. To listen, When you click on the link. At the top right hand of the page, click onto Audio MoneyBox (the article in question is 9 mins into the transmission)

• 2 weeks later...

According to Radio 5 News (Afternoon 13 Nov).

After being kidnapped, the victims were driven to different parts of London during their ordeal. They were cowed into handing over their valuables and pin numbers and many victims were beaten unconscious and left covered in blood.

Is it safer to PIN or to Sign?

I like the Yankie idea.

If you black out the signature strip on your card, then the cashier asks for photo idea. I don't know if this is "law" or just a polite thing that shops do off their own back to help protect the consumer.

Ian

Capital One - Charges

PAID OUT IN FULL WITH 8% INT

HSBC - Charges

PAID OUT IN FULL WITH 8% INT

Unfair Dismissal

PAID OUT FULL COMPENSATION

NCP PAD Parking 'Fine'

FULLY CANCELLED

• 2 weeks later...

My AMEX is chip and signature, but before I was issued with the pin number I went to a well known PC computer store, it's a WORLDwide company.

Anyway, went in, bought whatever it was I was buying, went to pay with the AMEX. Was asked to enter my PIN. Didn't have one. Was told by the cahier that it was this stores policy not to accept cards without a PIN number, asked to speak to manager, who advised that they had full rights to refuse payment by a card without a pin number.

Is this right? Can they simply refuse payment?

GE Money S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 21/11/06. Responded 01/12/06. Prelim sent 05/12/06 £406. Response 12/12/06- **SETTLED IN FULL** (£396)

HSBC S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 05/12/06. NO charges in last 6 years.

Lowell CCA issued 21/11/06. Further reminder sent 8/12/06. Now commited criminal offence no response.

Capital One S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 08/12/06 Responded 03/01/07-Prelim Sent 16/01/07. LBA issued 06/02/07- N1 served 07/03/07- acknowledged 14/03/07.

Scotcall CCA issued 16/01/07. Criminal offence committed.

HFC Prelim sent 16/01/07. LBA sent- Final Correspondance issued with time limit of 29/03/07.

I have entered my PIN incorrectly 3 times and had it 'locked out' I called the HSBC to get a new pin issued, they advised it would 'unlock' after 24hours. It has done exactly as stated but is a great hassle! i would rather sign for my goods or have a photo of me on the card to prove I Am Me

I bet when it comes to disputed transactions not many are aware of the Banking Code article 10.2.

Unusual transactions -

In some cases, we will need you to give us confirmation or evidence that you have not authorised a transaction.

Very difficult if someone's used your PIN before you report your card lost or stolen. Very easy if you stick to signatures.

some info if it hasn't been posted before, didn't read page 1 and 2, if the PIN has been locked for chip and PIN or if you have had a transaction refused and you are able to use the cash machine and there is sufficient money in the account to cover the transaction you were trying to make, here is how you unlock the pin. STEP 1 is to go to an atm of the bank the card has been issued through. STEP 2 go onto the first menu of options that include Mini Statements etc, etc, STEP 3 go into other services or pin services or maybe under additional services. STEP 4 there should be an option to unblock PIN number. If this should sort the problem out. If it still causes a problem contact your bank because you will probably need a new card.

I came I saw I helped. I could do no more.

• 4 months later...