Tax credits, can anybody help please?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5358 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've got a bit of an ongoing battle with child tax credits at the moment.

Back in 2005, I filled out my declaration and returned it within a couple of days. Fast forward to January 2006, when I recieved a letter saying my credits were going to stop as I hadn't given them all the information.

When I initially rung them, as soon as the threat to stop the money, the very (un) helpful lady told me that she couldn't tell me what information they needed, but that if I didn't provide it, I would have to pay the money back. As we didn't know what they needed, and after trying to work through the problem with various call centre staff, my credits were stopped for 4 months, and we had to put in a new claim.

Tax credits are now claiming back the FULL amount for the year, including the money they didn't pay as they had stopped my money.

Throughout the past year and a half I've lodged an appeal (which found in their favour, athough it took over a year for them to get back to me). In the meantime, I've been told by two representatives that they have all the information needed for that period, and that I needn't worry. One even gave me date from my file with a note saying it was all OK. This note has now mysteriously disappeared from my file?

I've requested all the information from them that they hold on my file. Tax credits sent out everything for every year, except the year in dispute.

I'm at a loss. I was entitled to the money for that year, I've done everything I can to rectify the situation, but keep getting misleading inforamtion as to what I need to give them. The latest one is that I ticked a box saying I needed to give more information, but I'm sure I didn't, and have religiously informed them by phone of every change in circumstances.

As it stands now, I've said take me to court. I asked for details of their complaints procedure and Ombudsman so I can escalate my complaint, but the 'team leader' said he couldn't give me that information? I'm terrifed about the possibility of going to court, but at the same time so sick of having to deal with this department which just won't listen of help in any way!

Any advice please?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that you are another victim of HMRC, the staff oon the helpline are deliberately undertrained, that is they know very little about the system or what they can do to help;

You could also try your local tax office, take everything with you, also have the address for the customer Support unit which sometimes get results,

Mr Paul Gray,

Chairman of HMRC

St Marys House, St Marys Street

Preston

PR4 AT

Take my advice, I work there, don't even bother claiming in the first instance, the entire place is a joke. From the highest level downwards not one person gives a damn. I'm ashamed to admit I'm part of it all.

Tommy are you legally obliged to reply to your yearly renewal?

Every year when I get mine it says we owe them and it will be deducted from this years award, which is only £500 and they reckon we owe £1800 so we are not going to get anything for the next 3 years.

I'm so fed up with them that I have'nt replied especially as my present job means I get paid a different amount each month I can't see them getting it right at all so can't face explaining it all.

Will it matter if I don't bother?

Yes you have to declare your income every year even if they say you owe them. As for your income it would have to fluctuate by 10's of thousands to make any difference to your award. I take it by the amount you are supposed to receieve your entitlement is the least that can be awarded. For you to have an overpayment your change of circumstances would have had to be hugh. The only thing I can think of is that when you called to report a change of circumstance, a change in maybe your income,due to a gremlin within hmrc computer system, this overpayment occured. It's not your fault this is happening to every other customer and for reasons that escape me they (hmrc) cant seem to fix it.

Without knowing the specifics I cant say how your overpayment occured, you could pm me and maybe I could advise.

Thanks tommy

The overpayment was 5 years ago £1400 which i refused to recieve (sent in giros) but they said I had to accept it as giros already issued. Since then every year it goes up!!

I will tell them my income then but just think what's the point .

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya

I totally understand what they are putting you through...I have been a victim myself, especially of staff actually reading notes outto you and then they vanish! Don't know if this will help but I am trying it just now.

Apparently there is a form called a TC648, which is to get a report on unauthorised computer access for your case. I assume this is when someone accesess and or/alters your records etc - maybe this will throw a few things up? Maybe worth a shot to get proof things have changed/vanished/went astray, try asking the helpline for one to be sent to you.

Best of luck!

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

How about issuing them with a S.A.R. They legally have to supply you with all the details then, don't they?

The whole system is a joke... it should be assessed on what your income is NOW (much like income support and JSA) not what you think your income will be for the next year!

I was told about 2 years ago that I had been overpaid tax credits (altho they have never taken these overpayments back) I am sure that when I was told about recovering overpayments that they could or would only be able to take about (if i remember correctly) something in the region of about 20% per week OFF your tax credits weekly until your overpayments had been paid off so that infact you would still receive your tax credits weekly albeit with the 20% taken off also.

Also like someone else has stated the payments should be on up to date income, I am self employed and being paid on my last years accounts, now after having a much better year financially I am due to give these details to tax credit people by the end of this month and I'm worried about how much I have now been overpaid and god knows how long it will take to pay off.

24th August 2006 Template letter to Argos demanding late payment fee of 17.50 is returned.

Argos late payment fee of £17.50 is returned.

22nd Nov £5 late payment fee returned by BT.

Virgin credit card 2* £12 overlimit fees, LBA issued early Nov..... awaiting news

Re "As it stands now, I've said take me to court...I'm terrifed about the possibility of going to court, but at the same time so sick of having to deal with this department which just won't listen of help in any way!"

My advice is, don't whatever you do go to court at their insistence (different if you get legal aid and bring your own case). Check this forum to see why:

[EDIT]

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello, I am having the same problem with HMRC.

I claim Child Tax Credits, and my eldest son has left college, which I told them, my husband then rang and told them, when the form came back to us it still had my eldest son's name on, we both rang again and told them and they just seemed like the couldn't care less.

I have since wrote a letter to them and sent it recorded delivery, but still nothing, and don't know how much more I can do.

Zippyslippers,

I think CTC continue for a period following a childs college period. - possibly 6 months?

My partner had to pay back a sum for overpayment of CTC for her daughter, these payments did continue after daughter left the college. The daughter is now 23 years old and still receive yearly notices that partner is entitled to CTC! Turn over the page and the calculated entitlement is zero!

How do we get off the system!!! We telephone them and they say "you may become a guardian of a child so will be entitled to CTC"

Good luck,

John