Jump to content


Registered Users

Change your profile picture
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


johnhowell last won the day on February 28 2011

johnhowell had the most liked content!


71 Excellent
  1. Go here and read the link to another detail website: http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12563&sid=300bfb4bb46463f1a27316a71707cc02 Good luck, John
  2. Before posting your P60 - take a couple of photocopies. I was asked the same a few years ago. I did not hear from HMRC for sometime so I telephoned the number on the initial letter and requested the P60 returned. I received a letter stating they can not find the P60 and gave the amounts of total pay and tax paid. Yet another couple of months later the P60 arrived - obviously some one found it in their In Tray... Good luck, John
  3. Crane9, Without commenting on the legitimacy of claiming these monies - especially beyond the 6 years limit - and why your mother never chased the payments since 1980... I calculate the following: The number of months between Sept 1980 and August 2010 - first month payment NOT received and last payment before your mother died = 359 months. Interest rate per month = 8%/12 = 0.6667% Therefore, the first months £30 accrues £71.80 (30 * [0.08/12] * 359) each subsequent month accrues £0.20 less then the month before Thus, the total interest accrued for 359 x £30 is £12,924 The loss of payments would be 359 * £30 = £10,770 I hope this helps. John
  4. Also, was there a inventory carried out at the start of the tenancy? Was T present? Signed? I would have thought - no initial inventory, then the LL can not deduct any deposit. So T can just leave on the date agreed. Agreed alternative key hand over date/place/person. John
  5. When you initially purchased the property you would have been recorded as Proprietor to the Title of the property. The mortgage lender would have placed a charge against the property - recorded at HMLR. Once the mortgage is paid up, then the mortgage lender would have their charge removed from the Title at HMLR, morethanlikely a fee charged to you. But you was alsways the owner (proprietor). Nothing more needs to be done. HMLR may send you confirmation - I received confirmation when I sold my property 4-5 years ago. I strongly recommend that you keep safely the Deed Pack that you should receive from the lender. The electronic version held at HMLR can be a very truncated version of the original "deeds", they only transcribe the bits they are interested in, they "CAD-ify" the original deed plans to the latest Ordnance Survey base map. The original plans and deeds can contain more useful information that you may not find on the HMLR version - eg the T or H marks on boundary features... All the best John
  6. If the estate is worth more than £7000 (I think) then it has to go through Probate. If you have concerns over the actions of an executor/excutrix then contact the Probate Office as they would have to have interviewed them before Granting Probate. Good luck, John
  7. maybe try joining the GardenLaw website - there are experienced people their on such issues as private roads etc. Good luck John
  8. Your contract is always with the Landlord. Notices to the Landlord as per the contract. Just because he wants someone else to act as his agent then that is his affair - does not change the contract. I would suggest always contact the Landlord, but now copy in his agent. With regards DHL/Special Delivery - read other messages on this forum and the Notices only have to be posted as stated in your contract. You can do Proof of Posting at the post office - your contract makes the statement that the letter will be deemed to have arrived within two days. Someone here also mentioned that if you send Special/Sign For/DHL, your Notice may actually be refused and will have to be returned to you! Regards, John
  9. This is incorrect. The neighbour owns and should maintain their property. Sometimes boundary features may have joint ownership (H symbol on deeds as compared to a T symbol). They should ask permission to enter your land to maintain their property - however they can obtain a court order to enforce access under the "Access to Neighbouring Land Act". But again they can not damage your property doing so. You should not attach anything or cause damage to your neighbours property. Go to Garden Law web site for plenty of examples of these types of issues. Summer30 - your discription is a little difficult to visualise. However, if your garage wall faces their garden as the boundary feature, you can check that their have not attached anything to your rented property. Without your landlords permission, etc... John
  10. I doubt any mention of Renting would appear on the Land Registry title documents you can purchase on line. HMLR transcribe off the original deeds the clauses they wish - not all clauses. John
  11. As I said before, if there is no money in the estate they will go away. With my step father - one company did call but when we sid he only had £250 in the bank they went away. The difference here is my step father did not part own the property - it was my mums only. However, as MrShed said above, there is value in the estate - half the value of the house at the time of death. It could be argued that the finance company have a valid claim on this part of the estate. John
  12. When someone dies, debtors can claim off the estate of the deceased. You, as family, are dealing with your fathers estate - in essence you are the executor of the estate. It is the executors responsibility to handle all debts and monies owing to the estate. If there was money in the estate then the debt would have to be paid. Was the credit agreement only in your dads name or joint with mum as well? Lets assume from the postings above that it was only in your dads name, then: Write back to them, as they ask, stating that there is insufficient funds in the estate to satisfy the outstanding finance. We did this when my step father died, nearly all of them went away. The only outstanding debt was to a local department store that he owed £350 for shirts - as it was a local family store my mum wanted to pay this. Good luck John
  13. Enduring Power of Attorney has been replaced with Lasting Power of Attorney - October 2007 - if I remember correctly. The LPoA is a two-part document (financial and medical) and should not be too difficult to fill out. But has to be registered now (£150?), rather than EPoA which was registered when required. LPoA is for use when someone becomes mentally incapable of looking after their own affairs. But, they have to be mentally capable in the first place to write a LPoA ;-) If they are mentally capable, then a Power of Attoney could be put in place to look after their finances, etc. With a PoA they will still have access to their funds. This is a tricky situation and it may be worthwhile talking to Age Concern or even the Police. Good luck, John
  14. Would a USA collection agency have authority(?) here in the UK? I was treated at a hospital during a holiday in California, earlier this year. I eventually received an invoice and forwarded to my travel insurance company. However, today I received a Final Notice which states that a collection agency would be given my account within 10days - the letter was dated 13 August!I have chased the insurance company to ensure payment is made, but was wondering if the US agency had any authoity here?Regards,John
  • Create New...