Warning Warning Warning

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6194 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

have since found out it was Next directory ringing, why they couldn't just say who they were. a manager rang me & I got on the defensive straightaway so she just said who she was. Still ringing about 4 times through the day even though i have told them its a waste of time.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting calls up to 5 times a day for my hubby, always the same number. I keep telling them he isn't in but they keep ringing. I lost it on Friday & told them if they ring once more I am reporting them for harrassment as the phone is in my name & they are disturbing me, they apologised & hung up. Now i will wait to see if it starts again tomorrow.

Yes we have just added the anonymous call barring. Also the call barring facility to our phone which allows us to select 10 numbers for barring & its great. We have had only one call this evening. Also when blocking those firms that use premuim numbers (0807) their true landline number is automaticly disclosed at the time of your entering them to the list.

Needless to say since realizing this we have kept a record of their numbers. No doubt I'll find places on the web to disclose these numbers & when people phone them they won't be putting money into the pockets of these parasites.

They won't know it either until they notice their revenue from these numbers falling

there is a site called saynoto0870.com please add these numbers there

• 4 weeks later...

Hilarious - I Love it!

Oh for crying out loud ITS SUNDAY !

got a bit cross and answered it -

them: can I speak to Mr Karnevil

me: who is calling

them: HFC Bank

me: its sunday ?

them: yes we are open on a sunday

me: well we're not goodbye.

oops :D

I get cross with halifax cc calling. Cos of the old fine snowball (which is why I'm here in the first place) they've not been paid this month. They ring about 4/5 times a day (often waking my baby) computer talks to me, i've started choosing the option saying I'm my husband so i could get to a person and ask them to stop calling, yes I know you want money but we've explained and called you previously if you look at your notes...blah blah

However the security is so lax all I need to know is my husbands birthday and the computer tells me confidential info. Now anyone can know a birthdate. I choose the option to discuss with a real person, but the computer hangs up as there's nobody to take the call their end.

Then I get it all over again an hour or so later.

I get cross with halifax cc calling. Cos of the old fine snowball (which is why I'm here in the first place) they've not been paid this month. They ring about 4/5 times a day (often waking my baby) computer talks to me, i've started choosing the option saying I'm my husband so i could get to a person and ask them to stop calling, yes I know you want money but we've explained and called you previously if you look at your notes...blah blah

However the security is so lax all I need to know is my husbands birthday and the computer tells me confidential info. Now anyone can know a birthdate. I choose the option to discuss with a real person, but the computer hangs up as there's nobody to take the call their end.

Then I get it all over again an hour or so later.

No doubt about it that's harrassment. Report them

No doubt about it that's harrassment. Report them

Stopped at last, I used the word harrassment and that sorted it. They have deleted my number off the system (or so they say).

However when I complained about the lax security (the only check being DOB) they wrote a snotty letter saying it was my own fault I was told by an automated computer voice my husband's cc account information and that I had committed fraud in pretending to be my husband! I incidentally have permission to discuss the account with them anyway, and I only chose the option of being my husband so I could get through to someone and tell them to stop calling me! They say they assume any person in my husband's home would be trusted with them calling with lax security checks. What if you have a lodger, or a wayward teenager and friends in the house? They've not thought it through.

Bloody bank.

As for cold calling, if we have the time we like to have fun. Asking for absurd freebies with mobile deals, pretending to live in a castle, or thinking of some unusual family set up (polygamy that kind of thing) to see how they react.

We get lots of those free holiday calls, so we overplay our excitement, open the bubbly that kind of thing. Try and make them feel a teeny bit bad about it.

• 2 months later...
08700101138 collection services - no idea what company (i dont intend asking them why they're ringing me !)

08701240200 first national trust finance and ge capital

08003289393 - bt - anyone know why this number might be phoning ?

i've had this 08003289393 number call me 3 times a day for 3 days so today i answered and the woman (she was irish) just said 'sorry wrong number' and hung up! if that isn't the whiff of a [problem] then i'd be very suprised. i'm assuming they want me to call back. are we sure this is a legit BT number...?

I had the bank ring me, asked for me by name, and then asked me to identify myself. I refused and said that they had rang me they had to identify themselves! Asked them to prove they were the bank etc etc. when they refused I hung up. Silly I know but v funny!

Working to remove my debts

I had the bank ring me, asked for me by name, and then asked me to identify myself. I refused and said that they had rang me they had to identify themselves! Asked them to prove they were the bank etc etc. when they refused I hung up. Silly I know but v funny!

Not silly and not funny. It could be anyone on the other end of the line and no way should you give out your details. The banks don't help much. They leave messages asking you to contact "Mr. Smith at 0870.....etc. quoting reference 12345678 without stating who the message was from then you ring up and they ask for you name and address and date of birth etc. It could be anyone!

Say someone nicked your credit card details, had your card number, name and address but not your date of birth. You think you are speaking to your bank, but it could be a [problem]. I refuse to give out ANY details unless I know I am talking to my bank and even then I ask them to tell me what details they have and I will confirm if they are correct, rather than volunteering my personal information.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

Hi,

Are 070 numbers available that pay you back? Just thinking; get a 070 and direct it at my phone and then give this number to all DCA and accounts. Then if they wish to phone me, they can, and earn me money!

Also, regarding Telephone Preference Service, its great and does actually work. I have registered and my business is registered for fax as well. We dont get a single marketing fax anymore.

One of my friends likes to have fun with cold sales calls-he lets them say their script and then depending on his mood will either say "just hold on a minute" or "I'll get my card" and puts the phone on the desk and then simply continues his work and sees how long they sit there before hanging up!

Hes evil but its funny!

Tom

Hi,

Are 070 numbers available that pay you back? Just thinking; get a 070 and direct it at my phone and then give this number to all DCA and accounts. Then if they wish to phone me, they can, and earn me money!

Tom

I don't think so, but I have an 0871 number that maps to my BT number. Any official form or the like (in fact, anybody non-personal) gets the 0871 number and I earn money for them using it to call me.

when i get the calls from numbers that i do not know, i always answer in another language....Russian is the first chopice folled by Latvian....Works every time they dont know what to say

FOR THE BENEFIT OF OUR FRIENDS IN THE NSA USING THE PRISM SYSTEM. HELLO FROM THE UK.

I tend to get very broad Scots when these calls start! When someone from the Indian call centre starts with," Hello, can I speak woth Bathgatebuyer please?"

"Aye whit's sis aw' aboot there n'at, no?"

Lasts about 5 secs before they give up and I get some piece and quiet.

Bank and credit card reclaims - £9,806

Sainsburys CCA non-compliance with FOS;

Natwest reclaim of £340 in progress;

Egg credit card reclaim in progress

I am having a wonderful time, playing games with a particular DCA (Link) who like to mess around in their hunt for my husband (who told them months ago about our financial situation, and have chosen to disregard the info).

The started pretending to be a friend of my husband, asking for his christian name, and when I asked who it was , giving a christian name, rather than identify they were the DCA -we have caller id, dumb people!

So, I say he's out, they ask for his mobile number, I say perhaps "But Tom, you had it on your phone last night. You know I can never remember his ? number", or my favourite "hasn't he arrived yet? He left 20 mins ago- he'll be there any minute. Now don't get into too much trouble on this stag night!"

They really are too embarassed to call your bluff! And I'm now enjoying their calls much more!

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Another one is to pretend to be a relative who has just arrived from some distant shore & can't speak the lingo too well.........also have a list of convenient numbers to hand to give them when they ask for yours or your relatives contact number..............a good one is another DCA or bank or credit card company (particularly the one they are acting for)........you can only imagine the call.........hello can I speak to so & so........what department is he in...............dunno.............well unless you can tell me I can't help you...................he works for you & owes you money.....you know.........does he.............................& on & on

The Collections team at HBoS used to ask for me by my full name, but then started to asking for me by my first name to try and catch me out. I just used to say, "Which one.........." and made out that there were two of me at that address.

Interestingly, when my scabby fraudster criminal neighbours were in place (before doing a midnight flit - curiously a day after CID were banging on their door!), I used to get calls from DCAs asking me to go to the flat downstairs and leave messages for them! I used to refuse, "No way - they're psychos and junkies who've nearly forced me out of my own home and if you want to speak to them, you can bloody well do it yourself".

Bank and credit card reclaims - £9,806

Sainsburys CCA non-compliance with FOS;

Natwest reclaim of £340 in progress;

Egg credit card reclaim in progress

karn, no not really. They have a right to chase you for money owing, you are better off facing them, at the end of the day it is only a phone call, they can not hurt you on the phone.

phoning only becomes harassment if they talk to you, trying to talk to you can not be considered harassment, because they have said nothing.