Account Upgrade Impossible?

Zyrax
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For about 2 years now, ive been with a debt management company to help clear off my debts. Because of all this I have only a cash account at Lloyds so cant use my card anywhere else except thier cashpoints.

I recently phoned Lloyds up to enquire about upgrading and the guy said there should be a reason not to, must go in branch though. So I did.

The first lady told me that she cant do it, but if I bring in my credit report she can fax it somewhere (forget where she said) and might get my account upgraded. I got my credit file and went back in, got a different lady but right from the start she said "nothing we can do" "you got debts? Then no".

Paying off my debts will currently take 11 years. Do I really have to wait 11 years before I can have a debit card like any normal person?

Reason I ask here is because I dont beleive anything banks say. Dont forget, they also say you cant claim back bank charges.

Any suggestions? Is it really a case of waiting for 11 years?

Probably. I have a mate who earns well over the 40% tax threshold yet because of some bad history his bank won't let him have a proper switch card, only a solo one. Banks don't have to provide you with any service thats what you are forgetting - a switch card or the likes is an extra, an extra that if it isn't managed well can be used to rack up extra debt.

There's something wrong here.... you have to bring YOUR credit report to THEM? It's they who have the access to and disclose details of your transactions to the CRA's - so I'd suggest you go back and say your current management of your account is testimony to your responsibility, so who can you escalate this request to. It just might work!

Personally I would try the old "No? Oh - ok then - I'd like to close my account please. Yes, right now if that's OK?" I think you'll find it gets escalated quite quickly (within minutes) - they cannot force you to bank with them any more than Argos can force you to buy their batteries. Try to get a parachute account with a bank that offers at least a little customer service; I find Smile and First Direct quite amenable (compared to the rest).

There's something wrong here.... you have to bring YOUR credit report to THEM? It's they who have the access to and disclose details of your transactions to the CRA's - so I'd suggest you go back and say your current management of your account is testimony to your responsibility, so who can you escalate this request to. It just might work!

yes but maybe they want to see what other debts you have and at least this way you don't have another footprint/search on your credit file.

Natwest Step Account & Co-Op Cashminder account are both Basic Bank accounts ( ie you shouldn't need to be credit checked to open them; just proof of ID will suffice ). They do offer a debit card facility unlike most other basic accounts ( to my knowledge ). Hope this helps if you do decide to vote with your feet!! :)

Natwest Step Account & Co-Op Cashminder account are both Basic Bank accounts ( ie you shouldn't need to be credit checked to open them; just proof of ID will suffice ). They do offer a debit card facility unlike most other basic accounts ( to my knowledge ). Hope this helps if you do decide to vote with your feet!! :)

I've got to agree that the Natwest Step account is a good basic account - you don't get a cheque book, but you do get a solo/maestro card which is accepted in the majority of places these days [not like a few years ago when Solo was barely recognised]. When I asked if I could upgrade my account, so that I could get a cheque book, I was told that I couldn't whilever there was a default on my credit file but it's no great hardship.

PJ

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

Thanks people. I think tommorow I might make a rip to natwest then lloyds. It wont be easy, having to change all my direct debits and my wages etc but ive never liked lloyds. Its so annoying to think I can never buy anything off the net for 10+ years because of a credit file. Its insane.

I think you can get pre paid credit cards which allow you to buy on the net.

Prepaid debit/credit/visa cards explained | moneysupermarket UK

You will need to read the small print on these though as some of them, POST OFFICE charge £1.50 to make a deposit and transactions, and some of the others charge for certain things.

However, if that is a better solution than you are at right now, go for it.

Good Luck

:DABBEY-WON! £1,359.34

:confused:CAPITAL ONE WON £1,523.27+£39court fees.

I think you can get pre paid credit cards which allow you to buy on the net.

Prepaid debit/credit/visa cards explained | moneysupermarket UK

Sounds really interesting! I'll check that out. Its only for the internet. My only query is how do I put money on it from the net, if I dont have a card? The circle continues.

I have a basic natwest account with a solo card. Works great for the internet. I especially like it as it won't let me use paypal or amazon with it unless the money is already in the account (no chance of going overdrawn!!). Most transactions show up on my internet banking within a day too. Makes it much easier to keep track of than with my visa debit card, which is useful as most of my shopping is done online :)

Confused me when I first got it though as you need to activate it via cashpoint before it works online. Took me a week to figure that out, doh!!

It wont be easy, having to change all my direct debits and my wages etc but ive never liked lloyds.

A lot of banks these days will tear your arm off for you to swap your account to them, and so they'll do all this for you. Usually takes 30mins of your time, they then spend 2-3 weeks liasing with everyone & sorting it all out, then you just need to double check it's all in order.

I know most statistics are b/s, but I heard the average joe is more likely to get divorced than swap their bank, and this is why banks are so eager to help in this respect.

"Be reasonable, demand the impossible"