• Tweets

• So guess what, we have received a final demand letter for £100. It states if payment is not made by 11/06 they will have no option but to forward the case to their litigation dept with a view to commence County Court Proceedings. So just wondering if anyone has any advice. Do we ignore this? or do we need to take action? Thanks 
    • hi dx, thanks for helping just re-reading everything this morning and I must have missed this one from uncle in his thread "What you should not do, is not contact the Banks and simply default on payments. "  are you in disagreement with this based on your last sentence?
    • Thanks for the reply and clarification, that might just explain why in my case contact has pretty much ceased. Though with such companies it doesn't mean they won't ever threaten to return to court as a tool to force one's hand if they feel they are not self informed on their chances etc.  But concerning how last year they tried to use the CCJ to get a charging order and the court granted an intirum order on our mortgage using the CCJ that would have been a good 2-3 months beyond the 6 years, should the court not have checked the age of the CCJ in the first case or would they always grant an interim order simply off the back of a CCJ being produced without even checking the age of it?.  Had I not defended that action at the time they may well have got a default using a CCJ older than 6 years which could be a concern going forwards. At the time when I contacted the court to question the paperwork for a final order application the clerk suggested people don't get informed when companies apply for interim charging orders, they are automatic if a claimant has a CCJ and people only get contacted once a date for a final order application goes through. kind of begs the question if such companies can continue a seemingly backdoor method to attempt default action if un-defended if the initial application doesn't need to check the age of a CCJ?.
    • Hello!  Wondering if someone can help with this.  I suspect not but worth a go.  I appreciate the "contract is with the seller" line, which is what Evri has fed me but wanted to see if someone with experience in these things could suggest anything else I could do here.  I appreciate there are many topics about lost parcels - My parcels weren't lost, until the driver walked up to my door with them and then decided to make them lost/stolen... I'll summarise what has happened.  Wednesday of last week - Evri delivery driver stole / walked off with 3 of my parcels.  -  Arrived outside my properly, took photos (3 separate photos as its 3 separate deliveries) of the tops of the parcels (pointlessly zoomed in on just the labels, couldn't see anything else, other than a small piece of the pavement and a little weed, which doubly confirms it was outside my door as I can see the same plant), marked the order as delivered and walked off with them.  He's marked on the Evri GPS marked that he was outside.   -  3 different deliveries, from the same company (same boxes etc.), but 3 separate tracking numbers. -  Went through the Evri bot which opened a case on each tracking number.  I then phoned them and left a voicemail explaining what had happened. -  24 hours later had a canned response asking me if the packages had turned up and to check around etc..  I responded explaining again what happened and that they've definitely been taken. -  4 days later,  this morning, I get a response telling me to ask the merchant to refund me. I've responded to this message with a long email, repeating what I said, that I believe the driver has stolen these packages and that he took those suspicious top down shots of the packages, marked them as delivered without ringing or knocking etc.  I've said that I expect them to investigate further, but I gather they won't. In my several messages to them initially and later, I told them I don't care about a refund and wanted the parcels.  They contain some sentimental stuff, nothing of high monetary value, hence me going to this trouble.  I only paid £25 for the contents. I did contact the merchant when this first happened and they asked me to wait a few days.  They ended up refunding me despite me asking them not to and that I wanted them to escalate it with Evri because this appears to be a case of theft.  They didn't seem bothered - Refunded me and told me to go back to Evri and escalate it with them? So - Is there any way to compel Evri to conduct a proper investigation with this driver?  Search for my parcels? I have quite a lot of deliveries handled by Evri (not out of choice) - They used to have a fantastic chap and I rarely had any issues.  He has been replaced by a new guy and I believe the route is handled by this same guy who I believe has taken my packages.  Naturally, I fear this is going to happen again in the future if no investigation occurs. Appreciate any assistance - Thanks for reading. Al.  
    • its not a good thing or a bad thing its ongoing. mines gone the same route. these new notifications are equally meaningless.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

joseph v's barclays **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello, I am new to this web site. I need some help as i have gone through the steps of sending letters been offered £500 of the £2000 i am claiming. i have issued an online claim and i have now been told it is going to court, i am just waiting for a date. i am very nervous and really dont know what to expect. please help :-o barclays bank

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When i phoned the court last week as i hadn't heard anything since before christmas they said there had been a delay but it is going to court & i will receive a date shortly. i paid the court ages ago now and am really frustrated at the time it is taking. barclays must be laughing and i am just sitting here feeling very nervous. i wish it was all over. do you think i have a chance as the longer it goes on the more i wish i hadnt done anything?

When i phoned the court last week as i hadn't heard anything since before christmas they said there had been a delay but it is going to court & i will receive a date shortly. i paid the court ages ago now and am really frustrated at the time it is taking. barclays must be laughing and i am just sitting here feeling very nervous. i wish it was all over. do you think i have a chance as the longer it goes on the more i wish i hadnt done anything?

(new to this room, sent follow on to my first question but sent it as a reply, so not sure if anyone saw it).

please reply. i need some re-assurance!!

i have just attempted to look at the court bundle, it makes absolutely no sense to me. Have i really got to get together something like this to take to court. i knew i would have to take something but this is all beyond me. i feel sick already. any ideas as to an easier way to understand all this?

myself vs barclays - £2000.00 - awaiting court date. they offered me £500 & i refused.:|

please don't worry , once you print it off it's easier to read and makes more sense, honest.

i printed it off , numbered each page in case it got mixed up , read through it a few times just to get a rough idea of what it meant and stuck it in my bundle and used a reference page at the front like this

Contents of Court Bundle.

CLAIM NUMBER xxxxxxxx

Description. Section.

Correspondence. 1

Latest Schedule of Charges. 2

Bank Statements. 3 (pages 1 to 82b)

Statement of Evidence. 4

Relevant Case Law Summary . 4a (page 1 of 42)

Dunlop v New Grange. 4a (page 4 of 42)

UTCCR 1999. 4a (page 6 of 42)

UCTA 1977 . 4a (page 16 of 42)

SOGA 1982 . 4a (page 27 of 42)

EARLY DAY MOTION HOUSE OF COMMONS 4a (page 42 of 42)

OFT SUMMARY DEFAULT CHARGES 4a

good luck

Hi Joseph,

I don't think it really makes a lot of sense to anyone. I have mine to do yet but from what I have been reading I am just going to print it all off. If you look through some of the 'won' threads a lot of posts list their court bundle with titles and sections etc and I am just going to copy others.

I have a few paper clippings I will also add and my statemtns etc and all my correspondence with Barclays.

Just read through some of the threads and you should come across a lot of help.

Good luck

Laineybelle

J

The delay is normal, very normal. Its in the banks interest to string things out as long as possible. Please read the various threads on here ... reading others experiences is very educational and also very encouraging. Most end up with the ..." I got my money", it was worth the effort. If you have any specific issues you feel nervous about, then post on here and you will get help.

Its your money your after ... not theirs!!

J.

well i am just preparing myself for court. can you let me know if all this is ok.

1. schedule of charges

2. correspondance to & from barclays

3. letter to take to court as follows;

£20.00, £25.00 or £30.00 for going overdrawn or having a payment returned is completely unfair, Barclays state this is an administration fee in there defence but how can it cost this much to send a standard letter.

Over the past six years I had to leave work due to having a baby, he is now 5 & ½ , when my son was just 14 months old and I was due to return to work I suffered the loss of my mum, this has been extremely difficult to deal with and to be honest carry on with life just didn’t seem important apart from looking after my young son. Then a few months after losing my mum I had a seizure due to a cyst on my brain and now suffer with epilepsy which I take medication for twice a day. Now I am starting to get my life back in order and deal with everything as well as I can, I am trying very hard to keep my account within my overdraft limit but unfortunately at times this has been very difficult to do. With the amount of money going in, I just have enough to pay what is going out but when this slips over the agreed overdraft limit the charge goes on and I am back to square one. If Barclays did not charge such a huge amount for a standard letter for unauthorised borrowing then I could get my account back within its limit and carry on paying money in, gradually reducing my overdraft.

I understand in Barclays terms & conditions they state they may ask me to make an immediate payment into my account and may charge interest and fees on the amount overdrawn but my dispute is that the amount they are charging me is not proportionate, the bank is actually fining me for going over the limit, and this fine is too high, hence under the law of penalties this is ‘extravagant’. Is a charge of this scale really proportionate? Barclays have there terms and conditions, yet that’s irrelevant; a contract must be written within the law, and they can’t enforce a contract with legally unfair terms. Ultimately if it isn't proportionate then it's unlawful, and surely I have a right to my money back. Any charge should not exceed the cost of the breach.

4. i have printed the court bundle, is this ok to take as it is?

any advise?

Just A Quick Question This Time, My Case In Court Has Been Set For The 27th March 2007 But It Has Only Been Given 10 Minutes. I Have Read A Few Others Being Given An Hour?

My Paperwork Alone Will Take About 10 Minutes To Go Through, Do You Think Everything Has Been Decided Already?

(it Is On The Small Claims Track - Claiming £2055.00 - Previously Offered £470 In Full & Final Settlement, Refused & Here We Are Set For Court)

Thanks For Your Help!:|

Hi there. It won't actually go to court so don't worry about it. You'll get your money back before 27th March. Give Barclays a ring in a couple of weeks on 020 7116 5634 and ask them to settle. They're a bit snowed under at the moment so they're not paying out until about 2 weeks before the court date. Good luck!

I's always a good idea, I think, to get going on your court bundle. Always be prepared!

If they settle prior, you must inform the court- the case will only be concluded when you, the claimant, inform the court. Sometimes, they settle so late (like about 15 mns. before), by which time you would probably be at the court - and then that's a great opportunity to have your 10 minutes with the Judge, and show your "regret", that although you have tried every possible route to settle before court, the defendants have been completely unresponsive, and obviously have no remorse in wasting the courts time and abusing the court system.

Hi - I read your message to Joseph Lang in which you say that it won't actually get to Court. I have a date of 7th March and presumeably I need to get my bundle into Court and Barclays by 21st February unless Barclays contact me before that date? Or do I call them? Advice welcome>

Hello everyone

i am sitting here wondering what to do best. i have a court date of the 27th March 2007 but it seems ages away, i have completed my court bundle, well printed it off - hope thats ok. i have my schedule of payments and all correspondance to & from barclays and was wondering whether it was worth sending a copy to the court & a copy to barclays now. or should i wait a bit longer? if barclays have all my info early do you think this would give them more time to prepare?

:confused:

also i have filed my claim for £2055.00 but that doesnt include court fees £120.00 & £100.00 paid out, is this refunded automatically if i win?

thanks for your advice falcom, i will hold on to it until nearer the time.

its all getting exciting now, at first i had wished that i hadn't started the whole thing, when i started receiving things from the court but after starting to read all these threads i just want to crack on.

i was reading someone else's thread and i am now a bit confused, i thought i had received my hearing date of 27th march 2007 but on the top it says notice of allocation to the small claims track (hearing) 10 minutes given. does this just mean the judge will see if we both turn up & are ready to proceed & then i wait for a proper date to be set giving more time or will everything conclude on the 27th March 2007 or before.