style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm currently renting. We were never shown an inventory, never signed one, never had a check-in inspection.

Just wondering - does this mean that they cannot legally deduct any of my deposit?

I'm not going to trash the place or do anything silly, but I might put a few picture hooks up and things.

Yes JJ it does mean that. They cannot deduct without a fully detailed and signed inventory.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

We didn't take our own inventory. We did take some pictures as the builders and decorators who had refurbished the flat had left the place rather untidy and unclean.

Correct me if I'm wrong: in the end, if they cannot prove the initial state of the property, there is absolutely NOTHING they can do to try and deduct money from the deposit, and any attempt to do so would fail miserably in court.

Correct JJ basically.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

i rented a place and when i moved in they did not carry out an inventory or condition report. At the end of the tennacy the landlord tried the keep my deposit from me. Because he didnt have the reoprts or inventory he grudgingly paid it back. (not that i left it in a bad condition, he was trying it on)

rich

I lived in a shared house, no inventory, no tenancy agreement. My ex-landlord is currently taking me to court over various things...

Removing a desk from property - not true, just elsewhere in the house. Landlord claims i should have asked him for permission to do this. Where did he state that - on the non-existent AST?!

Rent for not returning the keys after moving out - would have done had the landlord done exit inspection, which he didn't. Also next tenant had paid rent for the period he's claiming, so he can't claim rent twice!

Cleaning & decorating - blatant betterment, as it was over 4 years since the room was redecorated last.

Various other unjustified claims - cost of letters, legal advice, blah blah.

I did offer a gesture of goodwill to cover an equivalent desk (he wants more than 4 times the cost of an equivalent), and part of the cleaning costs, but he declined it.

Hopefully when it gets to Court, he won't have a leg to stand on... what do people think?

MrShed - is my understanding here correct too?

As there was no written AST, an AST still is in force, although only the implied minimum terms of an AST apply?

So, "the right to live in peace.... etc etc, 48 hours written notice..." being one of those terms, and the fact the the landlord entered the property on numerous occasions without written notice (SMS doesn't count i hope?), he is in breach of the contract?

He seems to think as he never actually entered my room without permission, only the house generally, he doesn't have to give notice.

Thanks

There is always a contract in princiapal as soon as you are paying money to live in the property. Entering the property is tricky as if he obtained permission from one of the other tennants he is probably ok going into the communal areas.

Even if he did breech contract it doesn't get rid of the damage to property/removing property claims.

Correct BS, but you miss the biggie that there was no inventory. No inventory, no deductions.