• Tweets

• You can edit the answers to be in red or would you like me to do it? HB
    • Apologies dx100uk  I did not put the answers in red  Thank you all for your patience. H
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northampton  Name of the Claimant ? Overdales solicitors  How many defendant's  joint or self ?  Self Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.  13 may 2024 What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? the claim is for the sum of £6163.61due by the defendant under an agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 for hsbc uk bank plc. Account 4546384809766042. The defendant faild to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a default notice was served under s 87(1)  of the consumer credit act 1974 which as not been compiled with. The dbt was legally assigned to the Claimant on 23/08/23, notice on which as been given to the defendant.  The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £117.53 the Claimant claims the sum of £6281.14. Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ?   Not to my knowledge. Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  No Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ?  Online but it was for a smaller amount they kept on increasing this with me asking Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.  It was assigned to a debt collection agency  Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? yes  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?  Yes I also made offers to pay original creditor a smaller amount but was not replied to Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  No Why did you cease payments? I was made redundant and got a less paid job I also spent some time on furlough during covid and spent some 3 months on ssp off work. What was the date of your last payment?  May 2021 Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes at the time I communicated with all my creditor's that I was running out of funds to pay the original agreements once my redundancy money ran out that was when my accounts defaulted. I then wrote to all my creditor's with pro rata offers of payments but debt collectors took over the accounts.
    • Just an update for all. I received about a letter every other week, increasing in threat levels. Then I hadn't had one for a about two weeks, then Saturday received a carbon copy of the very first letter they sent me in February. Made me laugh, rinse and repeat. 
    • So, your response was not received by the SCP as you did not send it with a valid stamp. Therefore, from my two option in post #14, the first option is the only one available to you, but you do not have the option of asking to be sentenced at the fixed penalty level as the reason the SCP did not receive your response was down to you. Here's a reminder of what to do: Respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box state that you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. This is a tried and tested method to deal with your problem and is almost always successful. Before the pandemic it was necessary to attend court to do this "deal" because it needs the agreement of the police prosecutor.. During the pandemic courts made every effort to have as few  people as possible attend and they began doing this deal under the "Single Justice" procedure without the defendant's attendance. Some courts have carried this procedure on whilst others have reverted to a personal attendance being necessary. If you are required to attend, your case will be taken out of the SJ procedure and you will be given a date for a hearing in the normal Magistrates' Court. If that is the way they do it in the area involved you will have to attend, see the prosecutor and offer your "deal" in person. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

landlord credit checks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6294 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello,

My fiancee and I are starting to look for a place to live for when we get married in April. I was wondering if someone could advise what Landlords are looking for when they do credit checks? Is it mainly bankruptsy and CCJs? Would a couple of defaults matter? Are they taken as badly by landlords as they are by banks? I'm going to get both defaults removed as I get my bank charges back but thats not likely to happen before we move.

If the defaults are going to be a problem, whats the best way to go forward, can we put a place solely in my fiancee's name as her credit history is clean?

Thanks,

Ian

[COLOR=blue][B]Defaultless since 2012 :)[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=green][/COLOR]

Realistically, any decent landlord should(and a good deal do) run a full credit check on you, which means that they go to a credit check agency, same as run credit checks for credit cards, store cards, loans etc, and you will get back a credit "score". If you feel you are going to fail this, which is probably unlikely, but yes defaults count against your credit record, then honesty is definitely the best policy. Be completely upfront with the potential landlord, explain exactly what happened and why, and how you are not in the same financial position anymore. LAndlords will appreciate the honest and open approach. If you are in a position to do so, offer a couple of months rent upfront. Or you could see if anyone will be a guarantor.

With regards putting it in just your fiancees name, unlikely that many people would go for this. But, her good credit will work in your favour.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Hi Mr Shed,

My fiancee and I viewed a flat last night and it was amazing so we trotted off to the agent this morning to start the paperwork. I had to sit down and have a talk with them because although my fiancee's record is clean, I'm not so lucky. I explained to them that I had 2 defaults on my record and that I was disputing them through small claims as it was because of unlawful charges. I provided them with a copy of the small claims summons as well to back it up. Also, I had to tell them that my last landlord would probably not provide them with a reference since my deposit is being withheld and it looks like I'm going to court to sort him out. Pretty stressful stuff, i felt awful that my problems could ruin my fiancee and I's first home together after we're married in April :(

But, I asked them if they would accept a guarantor to back me up and they said that would go in my favour. So I'm gonna try and talk my father into it. So at the moment it's looking good. My only worry now is they go and try to get a reference from my landlord that I am having a dispute with and he sabotages it and tells them lots of horrible stuff.

I would be gutted if I had to tell my financee we couldn't move into the house of our dreams because of my problems. :(

My dad doesn't seem to keen on the idea of being a guatantor :( As an alternative, I have managed to look out 14 months worth of bank statements showing that rent was paid on time and I also have a letter from my ex-landlord agreeing me final rent payment which shows I wasn't behind in my rent. Do you think a landlord would accept these along with maybe 2 months rent in advance as an alternative to a guarantor? It's annoying that I've got all this hassle and I've never missed a rent payment in my life :(

Im sorry to hear of your troubles. My Husaband and I have terrible problems whenever we move to a new rented property because of my 2 defaults (which i am currently disputing due to unlawful charges etc).

Even though they are dated 5 years ago and i am now earning £4k a month they still cant see past the defaults. We had to provide a guarantor and luckily one of my colleagues agreed to do it (i dont even know the person very well, it was a 66 year old man who took pity on me!) as none of my relatives would help. I dont know what we will do if we move again because he now lives abroad.

If you can try and rent a property through an estate agent and then if you ever need to move you can apply for another one of their properties and wont have to be credit checked again etc. Thats what we are trying to do.

Also if you can raise enough money to put down say 3 months rent in advance that will also go in your favour.

I think you will probably be ok with the reference from your landlord and all your bank statements. See how it goes first of all. They will advise you if they need anything else, such as guarantor etc, its usually not a straight yes or no.

Yeah, I offered the guarantor, they didn't ask for it but at the time I thought my dad would be more than willing to help out but he's got a lot on at the moment with my gran who has altzeimers so he's less than keen to get involved. I hope I haven't shot myself in the foot.

I'm hoping to go in and see the agent on Tuesday morning and present them with my statements. The most we can afford to put down in advance is 2 months rent. They all ready have £750 deposit and £150 for credit checks and I'm trying to pay for a wedding at the moment as well so money is type.

The one thing that will work in our favour is the property is unmanaged so once the lease is in place we will deal directly with the landlord so whether to accept us or not if his decision rather than the agents. He was at the viewing and seemed like a nice guy and hopefully he saw that we're a happy genuine couple looking for our first marrital home and aren't look for trouble or to cause trouble. Fingers crossed. I'm just dreading the possibility of having to tell my fiancee we didn't get it and all because of my past mistakes :(

Knoxvillian,

Why don't you add a "Notice Of Correction"(which gives your version of the the events in no more than 200 words which must not be offensive or derogatory) on your credit file(s) until you resolve the charges issue? This can be read by potential creditors/landlords etc when a credit search is carried out.

Just a suggestion.

So I could put something like "the debt that has been default here is in dispute as it is made up wholly of unlawful penalty charges and is being disputed through the courts" or something?

Won't that only be read by companies doing a manual credit search rather than credit scoring?

Thanks for the suggestion, it's not something I had considered yet. :)

I have a letter back from Edinburgh Sheriff Court stating my return date at the beginning of March which includes a photocopy of the front page of my summons. I have provided them with a copy of this as evidence. I haven't actually asked for the default to be removed because when I started this they hadn't defaulted me, I intend to include it in the second round of court cases against them. They owe me about £4k but I'm doing it in £750 chunks.

Knoxvillian,

In my view:

1.This means that you will not be able to get the default removed whatever the outcome.

2.So,I feel that what I have previously mentioned is the best option.However,they maybe others that disagree.

3.A few months ago,I posted on within the same section of this forum (thread started by "Angrycat") regarding your similar problem which I would suggest that you read through.

Once you have done so and decide that you would like to draft a "Notice of Correction" I would be happy to help you do so.

4.Regarding your father being guarantor,you should mention to him that him being guarantor would only be affected if you and your partner defaulted on paying the rent which you are going see to pay 2 months upfront.

In saying this,he maybe more reassured and change his mind.

Just a thought.

I don't understand why it would mean I can't get the default removed? How can they default me on a £1600 overdraft when they actually owe ME £4000 in unlawful charges?? also, I think they put the default on AFTER I started disputing the charges, I thought they couldn't default you if the amount was in dispute?

PS Do you have a link to that thread? I tried searching for posts of that username but the search says invalid username

Knoxvillian,

1.This happens all the time regarding the defaults.

However you should be able to get it removed and get compensation for breaches in the Data Protection Act 1998(Section 13).

2.Whether it actually gets removed after this hearing is a different matter altogether.As you say you were defaulted after you started the legal action and legal action would clearly could not have included the removal of a default that did not exist at the time.

3.This is because you would have to win the case.What happens regarding the balance i.e.£4000 less the £750 claim?Are you going going to defaulted again with the revised figure? Probably not because most folks would not challenge/have the knowledge to do so.

ALSO...

Why did you not issue the claim using an address in England or Wales?Your case would have been much more clear cut then.

Knoxvillian,

Regarding the thread:

1.I made a mistake regarding the original poster's username it is angry cat.

2.The link can be found on page 9 within the landlord and tenant section of this forum.My last post on this thread was on October 3,2006.

3.The thread is "Tenant Assessment Application Form/credit Referance Agency File" by angry cat.

The default on my Overdraft is dated 15/09/06.

I've just looked back over my thread here and unfortunately it looks like they've defaulted me while I was still waiting on my statements to come. It took them ages to get my statements to me :(

The second default is for the BoS Loan that was coming out of that current account. Both the loan and the overdraft together come to less than £4000. Also, I don't believe I ever received a notice of intended default because I had moved house.

I was only in a position to be able to get my credit file in jan 07 and so wasn't sure who had defaulted me until then. They've also wrongfully entered a CIFAS entry on my file which I've wrote to them requesting remove and have heard nothing back.

should I apply to the court to amend my original claim which is waiting on the return date at the moment?

Basically what happened was that I went over my £850 overdraft limit by about £50 on July 3rd 2006. I paid £700 into the account on July 17th and brought it back under the account limit. Between July 4th and 30th Sept 2006, I incurred £693 in unlawful penalty charges which was basically the straw that broke the camel's back and I had no alternative but to seek a debt management program.

During 2006 on my current account there was £1281 in unlawful charges on total. Because I was then over my overdraft limit, the D/D for my BoS loan started bouncing as well and they defaulted me on that too.

We tried but my dad isn't happy with what they have asked him to sign. He describes it as "a real cake and eat it document, the landlord can't lose" and says he won't sign it. Luckily he has offered to loan us the other 4 months rent so it looks like we'll be able to put up 6 months rent after all. :)

They are saying that it will be a fixed 6 month lease. On the day we sign the lease we will be served notice that in 6 months our lease will terminate. Once the 6 months is over we will have to sign another 6 month lease and pay another 6 months up front (!) or vacate the property.

I'm guessing once we're in the house we'll be in a much better position to negotiate with the landlord and maybe we could work something out for the next lease whereby we maybe pay 3 months in advance and then the other 3 as normal. And then hopefully if we stay on for a 3rd six months we can do it as a normal lease.

Thoughts?

My thought is that their demands are unreasonable. Unless you are particularly in love with this property, I wouldnt pander to them and would look elsewhere. What they are asking MAY also bring complications with notice periods, due to the 6 months payments, rather than monthly. Also, I smell the possible cash cow of the agents charging an unreasonable fee in 6 months for a new tenancy agreement.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Its not necessarily that we're so in love with this property, it is a nice property but there are lots of properties out there. The two things that make me reluctant to pull out are this;

1. We stand to lose £150 we paid for credit checks along with £150 per applicant in admin charges. So we would lose £450 out of it.

2. The stress of this process has been bad enough without having to go through explaining our situation to another letting agent and wondering if we will get accepted. I have no options for getting a guarantor, my dad won't do it.

:(

I think the agent will be on dodgy legal ground if they attempt to retain that full £450 should you pull out....

I think you should put to them that you are willing to take on the property as an assured 6 month tenancy. Tell them that you are willing to pay the first 6 months rent upfront, but after that you will pay month by month.

My landlord wanted me to continue on a 6 month tenancy. However, I was unhappy to commit myself like that each time. If your circumstances change you are tied in for a 6 month period each time. It benefits the landlord, but not you.

I'm sure they won't want to lose you as a potential tenant.

JMHO

for FAQs & Step By Step

click here

for Templates Library

click here

for Court Bundle

click here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Halifax C C

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Cahoot CC