Transfer of Freehold - 1st time buyer implications??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 168 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Own freehold of a property which has some underlying garages.  Want to transfer the freehold title of one garage to someone.

There is an apx 90y lease on this garage in someone else's name - and they use the garage. So the desired transfer is just the freehold title not for the use of the garage.  The transfer will be a nominal sum (not agreed yet but just a few thousand) to someone who has never owned property before.   

The question I have is - will the transfer of the freehold into this person's name impact their future ability to get 1st time buyer stamp duty relief/ discount when they want to buy a property in which to live?

Thanks for some input

Hi

Are you really asking this for yourself or are you actually asking this on behalf of someone else???

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Am asking from the perspective of being the freeholder wanting to transfer title to a relation who is a 1st time buyer. Don't want to jeopardize their relief discount.  It's a strategic move - rather than a sale to a stranger - in order to provide an extra layer of protection for the bigger freehold title.

Rang Hmrc twice. They struggled with the question!   Have just written letter to see if get a definitive answer in writing from them!   

It's for both.  The proposed transaction is to a young relation.  The freehold is not mine per se, it's in a trust and I'm one trustee.  I'm trying to create  an extra layer of protection for the freehold for the beneficiaries.  And one way I can see to do that is to do a transfer of this one garage and create a new freeholder - but one which is still kinda in the family.  I'm looking out for all sides.   And yes, this is still tied to all my other issues - unbelievably 

The legal workshop has been shut for the summer and there is a long wait until the next available appointment.   Ive asked Hmrc SDLT team on phone and twice they couldn't advise.  So clearly it's a tricky grey area.  I do hope they reply soon. But I suspect they also will be slow with a reply.  I need to action this pretty promptly.  Which is why I've reached out on here

Why don't you actually do your research?

WWW.GOV.UK

Registering land or property in England - first time registration, transfer of ownership, changing your details on the register, where to register in...

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks Stu 

The process of registration I have researched. The bit I can't seem to find conclusive answer to is whether hmrc would consider this specific transfer a "dwelling" that would mean the transferee would lose their 1st time buyer relief.   This property isn't a dwelling - it can't be lived in, can't park a car in it - as it is just the freehold reversion.  The long lease belongs to someone else and they have the rights of usage.   So would it be 'fair' of Hmrc to consider this a 1st time residential purchase?  Even hmrc struggled to answer.