CLI Letter - Threatening Doorstep visit on Scandinavian debt almost sb'd

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 152 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi!

I received a couple of emails from CLI chasing what I believe is a creditcard debt (but it dosent really say).

I ignored them, and now I have received a threat letter from them a bout doorstep collection

Now I know I could probably just continue to ignore them, but I rather not let them turn up as it would be embarrassing for my wife. Is it advised that I email them, telling them that I do not recognize this debt and it's up to them to prove it? (the post just arrived and it was apparently sent 6 days ago, they threaten 7 days for doorstep)

Any advise helpful!

• Confused 1

Never contact a powerless DCA, why would would you waste your time and energy?

Instead, educate the others in your household to film the doorstepper and to ignore their questions and keep repeating 'leave or I'll call the Police' - if they open the door, far better to just leave them standing there.

Post up the details of the debt.

I just really don't want them to come around, it's a quite sensitive situation. 

So just wondering if I can just ask them to bugger off, I had a case years ago where they got to pre-action protocol and I asked them to come with copy of the terms and conditions, went quiet after that. So a "prove it" request or similar perhaps.

The amount they want is around 2200 odd.

Edited by Ninja1337

So this is a foreign debt.

Which country and when did you last make any payment?

If the debt is still live and not unenforceable due to limitations law, you would just write to the Bank owed the money, providing your UK address and ask them to provide copy of last statement , plus any default notice they have issued.

CLI are different to other debt collectors, as they provide a basic service only. It would be up to the Bank whether they wanted to go to Court to enforce the debt.

Sending prove it letter won't make any difference, as the doorstep collectors are just  commission only enquiry agents, who are provided a list. Just because they mention this, does not mean a visit will take place.

• I agree 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Ninja, for real tailored advice - post up the details:

- what type of credit

- when you took it out

- who owns the debt a DCA or the original creditor.

- who you are paying now/when you last paid

- amount owed

As for doorstepper threats - they rarely come (debt type depending)

CAG Site Team and Forum Helpers are unpaid volunteers

Over the years CAG has probably helped hundreds of thousands of people, only a small number of people come back and let us know what happened or to say thank you

and an even smaller number of people ever think to make a donation.

If you are able, without leaving yourself short, consider donating, all donations go towards Site hosting and maintenance - help us stay live for future people in need.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Essential Reading: Dealing with Customer Service

So the debt is most likely credit card, although they are just referring to another debt collector in a Scandinavian country they are collecting on behalf of. (Intrum Capital).

I moved nearly 10 years ago , and have  not paid anything or dealt with any of then in that time. I know the creditors can "renew" the statue barred status in the country every 10 years , but I'm not sure they have done so. I believe (even though I'm not sure what debt they would be referring to) would be that old.

I really just want to deal with any visitors. Reading this forum it's unclear if they have ever visited a property looking at previous posts from this company.

whats intrum doing chasing a Scandinavian debt?

CLI dont do doorstepping.

they've no licence to do so in the uk.

if you read the email and letter PROPERLY. 

it does not say WILL anything.

and anyway how do they even know you read old email addresses

its a scam IGNORE them block and bounce their emails

have you moved around in the UK?
might be an ideato simply write to intrum giving your correct address in writing from you

you dont want a backdoor CCJ if you have moved around.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to CLI Letter - Threatening Doorstep

Hi dx, 

You are correct the letter (which is my current address) is saying "Notice of personal visit".

"Please accept this letter as notification that we have are now (nice grammar there!) turning this matter to our doorstep collection agents as a final attempt to discuss this matter with you.

Unless you contact us within 7 days, a doorstep collector will be instructed to visit you at the above address on a regular basis until contact has been stablished, and a final attempt to achieve an amicable arrangement for the repayment of the above debt has been made. Our door step collection agents carry out out visits between 8.00am and 8.30pm Monday to Friday, blah blah blah.

Our doorstep collection agent is instructed to collect the full amount due or to compile a report about your financial situation to justify a repayment agreement. Our agents carry out identification and receipts will be issued for all payments. "

The Creditor that CLI is mentioning is named Intrum Capital AS.

write to intrum capital as simply ref their ref number stating please note my correct & current address is xxx

protect against backdoor ccj.

they cant do anything

a dca is not a bailiff and have zero legal powers

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Pretty sure they have my current address as it's updated in the national registry. 

I just want to make sure that these clowns do not come around here, I am tempted to write to them to tell them I do not recognise the debt and also in any case, it would be statue barred and hopefully that will make them think that it's not worth chasing.

Only Pretty sure? not worth a backdoor ccj though.

As dx says, update address.

I'm sure they will be quick to let you know more about the alleged debt, because you don't sound convinced that you know, and you definitely should want to know.

You then defend accordingly, likely with statute bar based on your description but we are all guessing, including you.

Good luck

BT

CAG Site Team and Forum Helpers are unpaid volunteers

Over the years CAG has probably helped hundreds of thousands of people, only a small number of people come back and let us know what happened or to say thank you

and an even smaller number of people ever think to make a donation.

If you are able, without leaving yourself short, consider donating, all donations go towards Site hosting and maintenance - help us stay live for future people in need.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Essential Reading: Dealing with Customer Service

it doesnt matter if you think they have it.. BS.

if YOU have never written to whomever the card was taken out with nor owned the debt since they can quite legally file to an old address,,,then you will have REAL bailiffs at your door.

dont guess protect. intrum are sneaky buggers and WILL do it by the backdoor even if it is SB. northants bulk is a robocourt no human sees or checks anything.

but dont enter into silly letter tennis by prove it or otherwise.

have you checked what is the sb date/rules in scanny?

dx

and they

2 hours ago, Ninja1337 said:

I know the creditors can "renew" the statue barred status in the country every 10 years , but I'm not sure they have done so.

rubbish!!

and they

16 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

rubbish!!

Not rubbish, basically the general limitation is 3 years, however if they have taken steps to claim through the courts/bailiff (in Norway anyway) they can extend up to another 10 years. What I am not sure of, is if they can get that extended again after a certain period, or as I am not living there anymore they can't really go through that system.

See a translation of the law here: 

JUSINFO-NO.TRANSLATE.GOOG

Hvis fordringshaver har vært uviten om fordringen eller hvem/hvor skyldneren er, vil det kunne være urimelig at kravet allerede skal være foreldet etter den

But in Norway, same as most countries, the debt owner has to go to court within the limitations period, as part of normal process to gain a judgement.  Once they have got the judgement, they then could be allowed more time to try to enforce the debt.

You have not mentioned a court judgement in Norway.  So in the absence of a judgement, they can't then make a court claim in the UK to try to enforce the debt here.

Just write to Intrum confirming your current address and advise them to stop trying to contact you, as the debt is stature barred under limitations laws.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

blimey, i know we are a uk site and we deal with foreign debts too, but yep..that's complex.......

i agree anyhow, and had already thought of just write from your current address and state it's statute barred.

let the scammers try and wriggle out of it..that will be interesting...to read their drivel.

and they

Ok, but if the case is that they had been given a judgment through the bailiff (not necessarily courts as such in Norway) either around the time I left/while I lived there/or shortly after.

I assume the clock has still ticked and such should still be SB.

i will guess that as in most other countries, a court claim be it successful or not typically halts the sb clock.

i think p'haps you are getting a wee bit too deep into ifs or buts here that no debt buyer will relly understand nor go near a courtroom door with a barge pole.

its only a scamming foreign dca debt buyer chasing you, they have zero powers and and even less than if it was a debt in this country and a uk based dca.

dx

and they

So ask for a copy of the records related to any actions by the original creditors or bailiffs.  

You are a bit in the dark here, but based on a large volume of these type of posts to this site, I would say that for the amount of debt being fairly low, I very much doubt any court or bailiff actions have been taken in Norway.  If that had been the case, the debt owner would have traced you to the UK and then started court actions to have the debt enforced in the UK.

Write to Intrum with your UK address and advise that as far as you are aware any debt is statute barred under limitations laws. And it is up to them to provide any proof by supplying relevant documents if they don't believe the debt is stature barred.

intrum will deal with their dogs too.

and they

As an aside these 'doorstep ' people are a joke, I had one call around on me for an old debt that had gone statute barred, she asked me when the loan was taken out and I told her 2011, she rolled her eyes and apologised, said I wouldn't be bothered again.

So the plot thickens, CLI has told me that they will not do any doorstep, and provided a couple of documents (debtletters would be the correct translation I would assume) that I apparently signed in 2008, so over 14 years ago!

Lindorff has apparently been involved at some point too. They said they would check with the customer and see if they said it was statue barred. I would be interested to let them challenge that here in the UK anyway, which I doubt they will. 

Let's see what the outcome is from this and I will ask for more advice when they come back

So, I have response from the creditor (through CLI) "

"The file is not statue barred. There are two distrains after the debenture, the latest is dated 20.11.2013 which gives us additional ten years on the file. Please see attached.

Limitation date is therefore: 20.11.2023"

Along with copies of two scanned documents, one dated in 2012 and the other dates 20.11.2013 from the bailiff (in Norwegian). 

So it seems they claim the statue barred will be going until 20.11.2023. 

What could my options be here? I still have not said I recognize this debt so they can't claim I have acknowledge it. CLI is ofcourse asking when I will pay (either through payment plan or a final sensible offer), I bet they bought it for 10% or lower. 

I still have not received any contract of the original product, just a debt letter. Can I ask for the orginal terms and conditions of the product in English? November is not far off..

its just legalese gobblygoog..

WWW.BING.COM

Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.
WWW.BING.COM

Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.

ignore them unless or until you ever get a letter of claim now,

which they must send.

that takes at least 2 mts to go thru before they can issue a court claim.

by then it'll be sb'd under scanny laws too.

scan up the replies to one pdf please read up load.

dx

and they