style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 355 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On 30/04/2023 at 09:01, FTMDave said:

I'm planning to ignore it completely and to refuse to read anything that even vaguely mentions it ... apart from reading all your interesting opinions on this thread 😃

Dave - I'm no monarchist or royalist either, but despite my post #21 I'll be watching on TV.

I wasn't born when Queen Elizabeth II was coronated and lots of people will have been born and died between coronations and never seen one.

You don't need to support or approve of something in order to witness it or watch it, and in many ways this is such a historic event that I definitely want to observe it - if just to see how odd and anachronistic it is, and to be able to say that I did witness it.  It's something these days that is uniquely British as a tradition and I think I'd regret missing it.  

I may not be around for the next one.  In fact I suspect the next one will be relatively low key as I think the general influence of the royals over our society and culture is on the wane.

None of this is a criticism of your point of view - it's just that I se it as an opportunity that shouldn't be missed while it still happens!

(PS  - what does hack me off about the whole royals thing is the BBC's obsequious and servile attitude towards anything royal.  For such a "right on" organisation the BBC's obsession with not being able to say anything faintly critical about that aspect of the establishment is - frankly - baffling.  They put the unctuous Uriah Heep to shame).

I know I said I'd watch it, but I can understand that people might not want to.

Regarding BBC sycophancy the Coronation is being covered by them simultaneously on BBC1, BBC2, the red button, BBC news channel, BBC radios 3, 4, 5 and BBC local radio.

Bit much?

The Met are not coming out of this well after the arrests on Saturday. Even Julia Hartley-Brewer and Toby Young have spoken out against them.

EDITION.CNN.COM

London's Metropolitan Police said it made 52 arrests during the coronation of King Charles III on Saturday, as the force faces growing scrutiny over its...

Illegitimi non carborundum