Salary not paid correctly?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Contacting on behalf of my sister.

We are finding it hard to understand her wages this month (please see attached)

She is contracted to 40 hours a week with a set salary, how ever in recent months they have been deducting money from her contracted salary for illness days as she is pregnant and needed more time off than usual,

I havnt worked personally for a couple of years and was always on a hourly pay, but I think the whole of a salary is to ensure you have the same pay each month regardless to illness? 

Again please see attached.

Thank you

DOC-20230428-WA0003.pdf

I presume that's for month 01 as the cumulatives are the same as the monthly?

I think the total number of days she's had off sick in the previous 12 months might be relevant?

Do you know why there are separate deductions for both "Unpaid sick absence" AND "Unpaid absence"?

(I retired many years ago and unfortunately I'm not as familiar with payslips as I used to be)

• I agree 1

25 minutes ago, Manxman in exile said:

I presume that's for month 01 as the cumulatives are the same as the monthly?

My assumption too. It does say 'Tax Period 1' at the bottom and OP refers to it as "this month".  I assume it's for April 2023 and so the first month in 2023-24 tax year.

• I agree 1

Hi, looks like sick pay is SSP and not full pay - she needs to get a copy of the sick absence policy.

• I agree 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi please find attached,

I have done my best to take out name of work and names to hide identity, please if you come across anything that should not be visible to public please let me know so I can fix that, alot of time off was antenatal from complications of pregnancy.

Thank you guys sorry it took so long replying, it took a while to get the contract and I havnt been well.

Sorry for double comments,

I believe the pay rota is two weeks prior to the payslip so the dates of actual pay would be from week 20th March to week 14th possibly 17th April.

Question:

Do you know why there are separate deductions for both "Unpaid sick absence" AND "Unpaid absence"?

We are both finding it hard to understand this part also

employment contract.pdf

The contract is dated Dec 22, so according to the sick pay section she  doesn't have a years service and is only entitled to SSP.

A common way of showing that would be to deduct the days from salary, and add it back in again as SSP.

First 3 days of a sickness period aren't eligible for SSP so I am guessing that is the other absence on file.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

It looks ok to me, I would ask payroll to talk me through it if unsure. I don't know what codes they use for everything.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Emmzzi said:

It looks ok to me, I would ask payroll to talk me through it if unsure. I don't know what codes they use for everything.

This ^^^^^^^^.

If your friend isn't in a union - or doesn't have easy access to a union rep - then first port of call should always be to ask payroll for an explanation

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but with all the sick periods being due to pregnancy / ante natal reasons, shouldn't the employer be reminded about their obligations about indirect sex discrimination?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

On 02/06/2023 at 10:26, Nicky Boy said:

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but with all the sick periods being due to pregnancy / ante natal reasons, shouldn't the employer be reminded about their obligations about indirect sex discrimination?

Only if they were breaching them. They aren't.

WWW.DAVIDSONMORRIS.COM

Special rules apply when managing Pregnancy Related Sickness Absence. This guide summarises the key points for HR and managers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1