Switching tenancies

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I cannot find the appropriate forum to post this so if the mods want to move it to the correct forum it would be appreciated.

The elderly neighbour across the road lost her husband last year and wanted to move to a different area to be near her sister.  She is currently in a Housing Association home and has been for many years however the housing association has changed hands at least 4 times during their tenancy.  She has managed to find a council home near her sister and gave in her notice to the current housing association.

However they are now telling her that either she has the home painted or they will have the home painted and bill her.  To us the paintwork looks okay and normally wear and tear however where they put up pictures there are marks.  They have been in their home for the past 10 - 15 years and it has never been painted by the association.  They are also telling her to replace the front door.   The door was changed for a better quality door many years ago and with permission from the original landlord.   If the current housing association have to change the door they will bill her.  I doubt if she can afford to pay for painters and another door.

All this stress is really upsetting for the elderly lady who does not have Internet or even a mobile phone.  She came crying to my wife who was out walking the dog.  Surely the original contract is still in place even though there has been a change of housing associations over the years and what can she do to get help as we cannot help?  Shelter only seem to have Online chats or email and cannot find any number she can phone for help.  She lives in the Malvern district.  Thanks for any advice I can pass onto her.

eh?

ENGLAND.SHELTER.ORG.UK

Find out more about Shelter’s free national helpline. Get expert advice from one of our trained housing advisers, 365 days a year

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

just put it above

easy if you use a search engine for the right question....:pound:

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

10 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

eh?

ENGLAND.SHELTER.ORG.UK

Find out more about Shelter’s free national helpline. Get expert advice from one of our trained housing advisers, 365 days a year

Thank you, but that number is for

• re homeless

• have nowhere to stay tonight

• are worried about losing your home in the next two months

• are at risk of harm or abuse

The elderly lady does not fall into any of the categories above.

why not ask them the correct number to call?

dx

and they

Hi

That is absolutely shocking behaviour of her Housing Association but sadly typical of a lot of them.

The difficulty here is that she has given Notice and the time limits due to her giving Notice to try and resolve this.

The first thing you need from her is a letter from her stating that she gives full Authority for you Full Name and Full Address to act on her behalf in any an all dealing to do with Her Full Name and Full Address to do with XXX Housing Association.

You will need the above otherwise the Housing Association will NOT discuss anything with you due to Data Protection.

So to clarify she doesn't have a Contract but a Tenancy Agreement and YES the Original Tenancy Agreement that she signed still stands even though it has change via numerous Housing Associations taking over.

You now nee to make a Formal Complaint to the Housing Association about this

Dear Sir/Madam

Reference: Her Full Name and Address

FORMAL COMPLAINT

The above named gave notice to the Housing Association on XX/XX/2023 as they are having to move properties to be nearer family due to there age and have been in the present property for 10-15 years.

After your Pre Move Out Inspection she was advised that she basically need to re-decorate the entire property or contractors would be employed by the Housing Association as she would be billed for these costs.

At the same time she was informed again that she would have to replace the Front Door otherwise contractors would be employed to carry out the works and she would be billed for this.

I find the above totally unacceptable for the following reasons:

1. This individual has live in this property for 10-15 years.

2. This individual is of XX Age.

3. What you asking about the Painting is Fair Wear and Tear due to the length of time that Individual has lived in the property and is not due to anything malicious nor have they deliberately damage the property.

4. This individual has had to move properties due to there age and to be nearer family member if they need any help.

5. The Front Door was replaced at the individuals cost after getting full permission to do so from her previous Housing Association (insert there name here) and find it totally unacceptable that she is being asked to replace this front door at her cost when permission was previously Granted.

To that end I require copies of the following:

1. The Original Tenancy Agreement.

2. The Pre Move Out Inspection Report.

3. Customer Care Policy (not the leaflet).

4. End of Tenancy Policy (not the leaflet).

Make sure and enclose a copy of her letter giving you authority to act on her behalf with the above letter

Something to consider that you will need to ask her to consider is contacting your local press/newspaper and tell them what the Housing Association is trying to do with someone of her age.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks a very helpful letter that I will pass onto her.  It will also stand us in good stead if we ever decide to move.

I would prefer not to get involved with housing associations etc as I have enough on my plate at the moment with all our own personal issues.

You are more than welcome for the help what we are here for.

I can appreciate that you have a lot on yourself and please tell her to amend the letter to suit her needs but to make sure it is title "FORMAL COMPLAINT" (having that the Housing Association needs to follow it complaints procedure and log this as a complaint which is open to inspection on a regulator visit/audit)

She needs to act fast mainly due to her giving Notice and the Notice Period

Please keep us updated when you have the time

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

I did amend the letter for her, but apparently the lady has gone ahead with employing someone to do the painting etc. as according to her neighbour she was worried that she would not be able to move into her new place.  I think the Housing Association may have employed "scare tactics"?   I have not seen her for few days so assume she is staying with her sister. 

When my father passed on, the local  housing association tried to bill the estate for repainting etc, but sent the bill well after the estate had been settled.  They then tried to get us to pay, but we told them to take a hike.  never heard from them again.  Seems these Housing Associations want every last penny and do whatever it takes to try and bleed people dry!

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Sadly even though she is a pensioner,  she has had to spend a lot of money repainting the place even though the housing association never painted the home in all the years that they lived in the property!  I think she will be very glad when she has moved. 

I did try and speak to her, but it just seemed to go over her head and she is under the impression that the housing association are in the right. Makes me angry when a HA knowingly takes advantage of people.  I think the HA is Platform Homes and the property she is moving into is also administered by them as they are now based in Solihull in Birmingham.

Hi

Not Platform Housing again seems to be a theme with them as they are on here on a few other different threads.

Sadly not much you can do if she is going to believe the Housing Association without even challenging them on this, at least you can hold your head high that you tried to help her.

This is what Housing Association try and get away with and with challenging them nothing much will change with the

further to your comment on the Housing Association never painted the property over the years this is actually not the Housing Association responsibility it is the Tenants of that property and will be in their Tenancy Agreement stating decoration is their responsibility as it is with the majority of Housing Association in the UK.

• Thanks 2

We have spoken with the neighbour and Platform Homes wanted £4000 off her for changing the doors, painting the place and cutting the grass. 

The home only has 4 rooms incl kitchen.  Bathroom is tiled. 

The doors were not cheap doors and looked better than the original doors!  Platform Homes charge by the square metre to cut the grass. 

Young lad cut all the grass for £15!

The lady employed some local trades people at a fraction of the prices that Platform wanted to charge and apparently they have done an excellent job using good quality paint unlike the cheap nasty stuff that Platform would use! 

Also I got it wrong as during their tenancy they did repaint the place themselves about 5 years ago using decent quality paint.

What's a bet that Platform will try and screw her for some money by stating something is not up to their standards?