Excel Contractual Interest Spreadsheet

Mindzai
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5552 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome spreadsheet - does what it says on the can.

How do you calculate the APR....i have a CLASSIC account with an AER of 4.25%.

I thought the APR only applied to loans and credit cards

:confused:

How do you calculate the APR....i have a CLASSIC account with an AER of 4.25%.

I thought the APR only applied to loans and credit cards

That's the usual idea, but if your card doesn't have any one-off charges made for certain transactions (eg cash advances, etc.) perhaps they may quote the AER instead.

However, if your CLASSIC account is a current account, then the AER or EAR will be quoted instead.

From post 148,

You then raise the figure you obtained from P*(1+r) to the power of n
No, it's (1+r)^n then multiply by P, otherwise you'd be doing P^n x (1+r)^n. Regards, Mad Nick

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

That's the usual idea, but if your card doesn't have any one-off charges made for certain transactions (eg cash advances, etc.) perhaps they may quote the AER instead.

However, if your CLASSIC account is a current account, then the AER or EAR will be quoted instead.

Thx Bill

It is a classic current account, and i am still confused as to how to work it the daily & monthly interest rates as the spreadsheet requires the APR figure ----and i have an AER of 4.25%:twisted: :???: :???: :???:

From post 148, No, it's (1+r)^n then multiply by P, otherwise you'd be doing P^n x (1+r)^n. Regards, Mad Nick

I find P*(1+r)^n works for me.

I put the formula on row 1 of my Excel spready exactly as "=B1*(1+(E1/365))^D1"

Where B1 is £100.00, E1 is 20%, and D1 is 365 days, this gives me £122.13

I believe the mathematical hierarchy used forces it to use this set of priorities:-

The spready works out (E1/365) first, to give 0.000548,

then adds 1 to give 1.000548,

then raises this to the power of 365 to give 1.221336,

then multiplies this by 100 to give 122.1336

If I try punching the formula in in the order "P^n*(1+r)^n" it just tells me to #### off !!! :D

Thx Bill

It is a classic current account, and i am still confused as to how to work it the daily & monthly interest rates as the spreadsheet requires the APR figure ----and i have an AER of 4.25%:twisted: :???: :???: :???:

I think you will be correct in entering the APR on the spready as 4.25%.

Bill,

I find P*(1+r)^n works for me.
That formula is spot on and the way Excel works, it will do the (1+r)^n before multiplying by P. It was just that you described it wrongly as "raise the figure you obtained from P*(1+r) to the power of n." That would be [P*(1+r)] all to the power n which, as you computer says, is ****** Regards, Mad Nick

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

Unfortunately Bill - The contractual interest TOTAL is less than the statutory 8% TOTAL when using the 4.25%....so i don't think that this is right.

Could i pm somebody and maybe someone can look at my spready...working with a figure of 29% seems more reasonable...but that is just a pie in hte sky figure that i remember somebody referring to on another thread.

Either a dumb moment or too many red wines for mother's day has got me confused on this spready...help please.

Kolo

Bill, That formula is spot on and the way Excel works, it will do the (1+r)^n before multiplying by P. It was just that you described it wrongly as "raise the figure you obtained from P*(1+r) to the power of n." That would be [P*(1+r)] all to the power n which, as you computer says, is ****** Regards, Mad Nick

Nick - my apologies for misunderstanding you !! :confused:

You are indeed correct, and the way I worded the analysis in my post was indeed incorrect.

My thanks for pointing it out as quickly as you have done, and I have now corrected the post to show the method, as you have kindly now clarified.

Cheers mate. :)

Unfortunately Bill - The contractual interest TOTAL is less than the statutory 8% TOTAL when using the 4.25%....so i don't think that this is right.

Could i pm somebody and maybe someone can look at my spready...working with a figure of 29% seems more reasonable...but that is just a pie in hte sky figure that i remember somebody referring to on another thread.

Either a dumb moment or too many red wines for mother's day has got me confused on this spready...help please.

Kolo

Kolo - the dumb moment is mine !! Yes, of course, if you claim 4.25% compound interest, then it will amount to less than 8% simple interest would !!

You need to check what the bank's current annual interest rates are for authorised and unauthorised overdrawing. You should be able to do this by checking online. I think you may then have a higher rate you can use in your spreadsheet.

Kolog, no way is your aer 4.25%, otherwise you would be lending the bank money(!), that is less than the base rate. If you tell me exactly what account you have and who with then i can tell you your APR

Leech

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html#post436526

click my scales if you think i am helpful ! yes LHS down there !!

Once more into the breach dear friends,once more

or close the wall up with our banks dead ,

The games afoot,follow your spirit and upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry' England and St George

Henry V battle of Agincourt 1415

i've been looking for the right spreadsheet to use for a CC claim, but this one also only calculates the 8% stat and not the same compounded rate (maybe around 16%) the bank charged me, which is what i thought most people claim?

This the right one Tifo, the compounded part is on the green daily tab!!!!

Once you have filled in the charges click on it and you will see.

Leech

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html#post436526

click my scales if you think i am helpful ! yes LHS down there !!

Once more into the breach dear friends,once more

or close the wall up with our banks dead ,

The games afoot,follow your spirit and upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry' England and St George

Henry V battle of Agincourt 1415

Please can anyone advise? I'm working on my spreadsheet (Mindzai's v1.9) i'm almost finished putting my charges in, about 20-30 lines to go. I'm on line number 194 and every time I try to insert the charge I get a pop up message saying 'protected cells cannot be modified'. :confused: What should I do?

Sorted it now, duh! Can't seem to delete this message though!

SM

Paying interest on a loan caused by penalty charges? Read this!!

Very useful A-Z here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html?highlight=can%27t+find+what+you%27re+looking+for%3F

New strategy for Scots claims here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/71013-urgent-attention-please-read.html

Scottish procedure:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/42620-scottish-procedure.html

I am a layperson not a legal expert, my advice is offered without prejudice or liability, it is purely my opinion based on personal experience and should be treated as such. If in any doubt seek the advice of a qualified professional.

Mindzai has protected some cells to ensure precious fields aren't overwritten. I'm sure this is probably something that has been overlooked and will be amended and a new release will come out but in the meantime, if you go to TOOLS then it will say something along the lines of UNPROTECT SHEET (no precise as I don't have excel to hand right now). Hopefully there are no passwords on it, this will then allow you to carry on. If you have any problems, there may be advice further up in this thread with regards to unprotecting the sheet (and it might be more correct lol)!!

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

T4FF you're a sweetie and always reply really quickly- do you live here?LOL

You were right of course, simple case of unprotecting sheet, i've done it now and spreadsheet is done, yippee!

ps. thanks for kick up the bum earlier!

SM:p

Paying interest on a loan caused by penalty charges? Read this!!

Very useful A-Z here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html?highlight=can%27t+find+what+you%27re+looking+for%3F

New strategy for Scots claims here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/71013-urgent-attention-please-read.html

Scottish procedure:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/42620-scottish-procedure.html

I am a layperson not a legal expert, my advice is offered without prejudice or liability, it is purely my opinion based on personal experience and should be treated as such. If in any doubt seek the advice of a qualified professional.

do you live here?LOL

:D

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

I'm about to send my LBA to Cap One - but I have some serious doubts about the spreadsheet I have used (taken from here... 6. Interest calculation spreadsheets I have used England - Advanced - Excel). Or put more accurately how I've used them. In a nutshell... the sheet does the following to calculate simple contractual int.

(Total amount charged in fees over the period of time)

Divided by

(The statement balance Month 1)-(the payment made in respect of that eg. the one which appears on Month 2 statement)

Multiplied by

Total interest charged as per Month 1 statement

= interest to reclaim for Month 1

I might be being thick, but I don't understand why the following month's payment needs to be deducted? Can anyone explain to set my mind at rest?

BATTLES WON/ONGOING

NatWest Bank- £8k+ **SETTLED IN FULL**

Capital One - £2k+ ** SETTLED IN FULL**

Cahoot - £255 **SETTLED IN FULL**

Abbey National - £385 **SETTLED IN FULL**

Central Trust - £3k+ **SETTLED IN FULL**

GMAC RFC - £2k **SETTLED IN FULL**

Now going after Natwest (again) and Halifax.

fATBOY 88 send it over and I'll have a look if you like.

BATTLES WON/ONGOING

NatWest Bank- £8k+ **SETTLED IN FULL**

Capital One - £2k+ ** SETTLED IN FULL**

Cahoot - £255 **SETTLED IN FULL**

Abbey National - £385 **SETTLED IN FULL**

Central Trust - £3k+ **SETTLED IN FULL**

GMAC RFC - £2k **SETTLED IN FULL**

Now going after Natwest (again) and Halifax.