• Tweets

• Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
    • its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Boris Johnson, former Prime Minister

As he waded through the empty plates, drunken bodies and even emptier bottles and glasses,

he said to a half unconscious drunk: 'anything broken',

to which the drunk replied 'only the swing and a few tables and chairs'

So Johnson muttered 'ah - I'm assured no rules have been broken then

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

To me it all seems to be about the definition of what the word 'rules' means. What happens when the 'rules' are broken?

Rules can be an ambiguous analogy for those who choose to bend them. Rules and laws are important because they help to obtain and continue a balanced level of safety, fairness, order and justice. Rules help us learn and prepare for living in a wider society. If the rules were blurred for the Gov gatherings the phrase common sense comes to mind for those who participated. There were others who didn't attend because they had common sense of the rules. My thought on this case one rule for one and one rule for another.

• Like 1

So true about 'rules' and 'guidance'. I'm struggling to see the difference atm and wonder if the defence team are trying to muddy the waters.

He seems to be going full Trump and is saying the committee held back documents that would 'clear his name'. I don't know why he doesn't provide them himself.

He's also saying in the article below that the committee didn't understand the difference between rules and guidance. Tp me, this comes down to common sense, as Determinator says.

I also don't understand why the 'Abba party' hasn't been investigated as we thought at the time it didn't follow the rules. Johnson has admitted to being there.

ARCHIVE.IS

Illegitimi non carborundum

So true about 'rules' and 'guidance'. I'm struggling to see the difference atm and wonder if the defence team are trying to muddy the waters.

He seems to be going full Trump and is saying the committee held back documents that would 'clear his name'. I don't know why he doesn't provide them himself.

He's also saying in the article below that the committee didn't understand the difference between rules and guidance. Tp me, this comes down to common sense, as Determinator says.

I also don't understand why the 'Abba party' hasn't been investigated as we thought at the time it didn't follow the rules. Johnson has admitted being there.

ARCHIVE.IS

Interesting thoughts from David Allen Green on the hearing. Here's an extract.

But Johnson was not taking any chances: he was lawyered-up to the hilts when no lawyers were needed at all.

However, because he had lawyered-up, and his lawyers had come up with elaborate and technical arguments about fairness and evidence, then the committee responded in kind.

And the the committee had access to its own legal advice, not least that of Sir Ernest Ryder – the former lord justice of appeal and senior president of tribunals. There are few, if any, lawyers with a better understanding of the rules of evidence and fairness.

And so yesterday saw that the heavily prepped Johnson met and confounded by an even better prepped committee.

DAVIDALLENGREEN.COM

Independent commentary on law and policy from a liberal constitutionalist and critical perspective

Even question time

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Roles were reversed for a moment on Thursday’s BBC Question Time, with host Fiona Bruce asking the audience a question. “Let’s have a show of...

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Yep, fill the studio with Boris voters - and they still cant get a hand up

The Tory Legacy

• 1 month later...

A thoughtful article from Robert Shrimsley in the FT about the effect of Johnson and Brexit on government and the Tories.

'Rage is no substitute for political strategy'. It's easier and more interesting to read than the title might suggest.

WWW.FT.COM

News, analysis and comment from the Financial Times, the worldʼs leading global business publication

• 2 weeks later...

Johnson's taxpayer-funded legal bill has gone up again. There's still a debate about whether the public should be paying it at all and apparently the Treasury didn't sign it off.

WWW.BBC.COM

The BBC has found the Treasury did not sign off the decision to use taxpayer funds to foot the bill.

I'm putting this here because of the Brexit connection but the effect on freedom of expression in the UK is very concerning.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The court of appeal partially allowed Arron Banks’ appeal. The effect on public interest journalism could be chilling

• Sad 1

Worrying isn't HB!

When those with money use it to pursue political aims, then use the Courts to go after anyone who has questions about them. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yes, justice appearing to be for the rich isn't right.

The government do seem to be aware of this but I'm not sure how far they've got in trying to crack down on SLAPP litigation. I don't think we're aware of how often this is used by powerful people to suppress articles about them that they don't like. Quite a few rich Russians and Arabs, from what I've seen.

I think what's also unfair in the Carole Cadwalladr case is that as I understand it, reporting on Russian contacts by Banks and Wigmore was confirmed by Isabel Oakeshott after she wrote the book on The Bad Boys of Brexit. She put extracts of their emails in the Telegraph/Times not that long ago.

Early last year, Cadwalladr tweeted: 'I wonder if Isabel Oakeshott will now go public with the private signed statement she gave the editor of the Sunday Times in which she called Arron Banks an ‘agent of influence for the Russian state’?'

But allegations of Russian contacts could have been a reason for the award of 60% of Banks's costs against Cadwalladr. I think the Byline Times are continuing to dig into this, as they believe there could be more to it.

So the Cabinet Office has admitted to not having the documents it said were unambiguously irrelevant to the enquiry. How does it know that if it hasn't even seen them?

Johnson seems to have changed his message today and looks to be contradicting the Cabinet Office. 

If there's nothing to hide, why does it feel like a cover-up?

• Haha 1

I suppose it might go quiet until some time tomorrow on No10 vs Lady Hallett.

If I've understood so far, Johnson is saying he's happy for documents to be released to the commission, even the ones he said would be an invasion of privacy and a threat to national security. But he says the Cab Office haven't asked him about releasing them.

And now his allies are saying he may release them direct. Nobody seems to be sure where the documents are.

Here is David Allen Green, legal blogger, interpreting the correspondence between Lady Hallett and the inquiry and the Cab Office. Several leading legal commentators think things are stacked against the Cab Office.

The requirement for a signed statement of truth is significant – and you may recall that the Miller II case on the prorogation of parliament was lost by the government because nobody was willing to provide a statement of truth as to the actual reasons for the prorogation.

DAVIDALLENGREEN.COM

Independent commentary on law and policy from a liberal constitutionalist and critical perspective

I wonder if there are messages which are embarrassing to Government?

Boris may not be bothered, as he may think he can talk his way out of any situation. But Rishi may be thinking that the Tories cannot afford negative media coverage, a year before a General Election.

In the Civil Service, staff are subject to disciplinary actions, if they have broken rules on use of social media. And I am aware of several Civil Servants who have been dismissed, due to breaking social media rules, as they had posted messages critical of Government policies.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

UB, the government seem to be getting more and more hardline about criticism. I expect you saw outside experts who've been excluded because they made a few posts on social media disagreeing with government policy. This limits good advice that HMG could be getting.

Views about the current stand off include that Johnson is trying to show up the Cab Office by offering all of the unredacted documents. A lot of people think it's more about keeping stuff that could embarrass Sunak and other ministers under wraps.

Another view that I can agree with is that Johnson thinks that if he's going down, he'll take plenty of other people with him. I think he's vindictive enough after being deposed to do this.

Well I can see it from the Tories point of view. They have won 3 elections since 2015  the 2019 election giving them an 80 seat majority.

They have implemented Brexit ?

They dealt with Covid pandemic, helping to deliver largest vaccinations programme  the UK has ever seen.

They have provided billions of pounds of support to Ukraine to help them defend against the invasion by Russia.

The last 6 year or so, have probably been one of the most difficult periods the UK has faced. 

According to opinion polls, the Tories look like they will lose the next General Election.

If they keep feeling bitter about the current level of criticism, this will guarantee they lose the election.

There is still a chance Labour will implode before the election, as some of the Corbynistas have not signed up fully to Starmers version of the party.

Yes that would be my hope, that there is another referendum on PR.

Last referendum offered AV+ and that was rejected.

Older generations still believe first past the post enables stronger Government and better local representation.  

Sadly not enough Labour MP's are in favour of PR or they won't admit to it.