• Tweets

• its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
    • Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

OPS ANPR PCN Claimform - 17mins stay - VANTAGE POINT, BRIGHTON, BN1 4GW,

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 333 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Getting close to me needing to send off my WS, I assume via e mail is OK to the court and post to the Claimant ???-

Question I have is

- Do I send it to OPS who are listed as the claimant on the small track hearing letter or DCB legal who are listed as the address for service on the previous small claims questionnaire OR both ??

Appreciate your feedback 

Sols.

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Fair comment LFI !! I stand corrected

OK so, I have brought it all together and attach the final draft WS for your collective review

I haven't included the exhibits as you have all seen those before and they are the same as previously posted in this thread

Need to send off Sat AM latest so appreciate any final tweaks or input to strengthen what appears to already be an open and shut case

if they thought that I would back out with their continued intimidation them they can think again, Bring it on and I look forward to my day in court!

Thanks in advance

11-5-23 WS Forum draft.pdf

Just to avoid having to look back over the thread.

When is the hearing date?  EDIT  Sorry, just seen - end of May.

Have the fleecers sent you their WS?

Edited by FTMDave
Extra info added

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Well, as the courts are closed on Saturday & Sunday, if the WS isn't sent tomorrow then it might as well be sent on Sunday or even during the day on Monday before 4pm.

I would suggest we all have a look at the final version on Sunday and it can be sent then, including a part hammering the fleecers for not sending theirs.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

OK Caggers, I hope you are available to review and comment this weekend - patience has paid off and OPS WS came in the post just now

I've hopefully redacted my details and attach the first 24 paged of the 63 page doc

The do include an updated contract where the 15 mins with engine running comment removed BUT check page 12 half way down in the box where it seems the landlord has added the note to specifically allow 15min grace period for any approved delivery vehicle that is delivering loading/ unloading to the onsite retail units!!!!!!!!!! BINGO- Well if this doesn't cover apply to my circumstances I don't know what does plus C19 mitigation- sounds like a slam dunk doesn't it ???

So how would you suggest updating modifying my WS in light of this- i think including the previous contract shows a leniency which is followed through with the intent of the above clause- Not sure whats redacted below that of course could be more damming or just someone's name

I still don't see planning permission for signs or installation of cameras or proof of camera accuracy

I've not included all the other exhibits but a summary of the waste of paper below 

2- You've seen before - I would argue they are not prominently displayed- knee height and 10 pages of photos of various signs around the site, not all on the underground floor I parked on 

3- An e mail from Jan 16 to some block called Peter who was retiring from the BPA and says the signs are compliant - no copy of the actual signs submitted

4- ANPR photos of the vehicle entering and exiting

5- Unreadable pay and display log

6-A plan of the site and location of signs- proving what??

7- All the letters they have sent to me 

8- Screenshot- so what?

2023-05-11 OPS WS.pdf

OK, I've just had a read through the fleecers' cut & paste bilge.

As you say, the 15-minute delivering/loading/unloading is gold dust, and should be included in your LOADING IS NOT PARKING SECTION  To refuse to extend that to 17 minutes during a worldwide pandemic is totally unreasonable.

You can make the same point in different ways in the DE MINIMIS and FRUSTRATION OF CONTRACT sections.

However, I think the vast majority of your PREAMBLE section is total waffle which has no bearings on the case in question and would just annoy the judge.  You need to make quick, succinct arguments, and come over better than the fleecers with their pages & pages of tripe.  Less is more.

It would help us a lot to help you if you would number the paragraphs - you will need to do this in the final WS anyway - so we can immediately quote a paragraph to chuck or to alter. 

Appreciate the feedback

I have slimmed the preamble

Added numbers for each para and included reference to the updated contract in the 3 sections you suggested

Does the receipt of their WS render the NO locus standi section largely redundant and as such should it be removed or slimmed down??

Updated  WS attached

13-05-23 WS Rev6 forum.pdf

Edited by BMX bandit

That is a cracking WS.  However, the nature of the beast is that i will now moan about the 0.001% that needs to be tweaked instead of applauding the 99.999% that is fine.

Well done on cutting down the preamble.

However, it's not enough to include weblinks, for (8) print out the article and include it as an exhibit.

(9) has to go completely.  the fleecers appealed that judgement and unfortunately won.

In (18) change slightly to "To not consider a 2-minute leniency in this term under conditions of a global pandemic"

Do you have any evidence that you were loading/unloading and not parking, such as receipts from the bike shop?

Just to make things clear for the judge, change the start of (24) slightly to "Even if the court were to conclude that the vehicle was parked, there are two elements to this aspect in this case"

(28) usual point,, you need to print the thing out ,and mark it as an exhibit, not just give a weblink.

In (30) "dismissed" rather than "quashed".

(32), you know the score.  Same in (49).

(53)  "dismiss the claim" instead of "quash the charge".

NO LOCUS STANDI needs to be changed after taking into consideration the contract they sent, as you point out.

Phew!

I will throw in my thoughts-disjointed ma.y they be and in no particular order this time.

First H. Green at the bottom of the statement was either written by a three year old or he printed his name. Which means that he hasn't  signed that he was telling the truth. Put him to strict proof that it was his signature on the document.

OPS still don't get PoFA  if they thought OPS V Wilshaw was a correct interpretation of the Act. It was on Appeal and the Judge got it wrong. It IS necessary to prove OPS do have a valid contract with the  landowners. Schedule 4 S2 [1] relevant contract” means a contract (including a contract arising only when the vehicle was parked on the relevant land) between the driver and a person who is

[a]the owner or occupier of the land;

or(b)

authorised, under or by virtue of arrangements made by the owner or occupier of the land, to enter into a contract with the driver requiring the payment of parking charges in respect of the parking of the vehicle on the land;

Don't forget Jopson v Homeguard and the lack of signage at the entrance means it is only an offer to treat.

I found a case going back 200 hundred years where silence does not mean that you accept the contract.

www.lawteacher.net/cases/felthouse-v-bindley.php  read the case  and you will see it adds another string to your bow  since that case indicates that staying in the car park does not mean that you have accepted the terms.

And of course you were not parked since the car was still occupied with the engine running . 

if you were not the driver  then you are not liable as the keeper since the PCN is not compliant . No parking period mentioned since the ANPR times include times when you were  driving to and from the parking spot so you were actually stationary for less that the time they are claiming.. Also they missed out another part of the required section in PoFA Schedule S( [f][2] "the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid;"  The piece in brackets is missing from their PCN.  

if the Judge accepts that the PCN is non compliant and you were not driving that is another reason to quash the ticket. Even if you were the driver they have to prove it beyond reasonable doubt since you were not liable as the keeper.

•  

Not very important, but looking at the fleecers' WS, maybe you could have a laugh at them with a single short paragraph just before your invitation at the end to chuck out the claim.

58.  In their Witness Statement the Claimant refers to their appeals process (para 25) and again (para 35) where it is referred to as "robust".  This is frankly risible.  It is so "robust" that Parliament passed the Parking (Code of Practice) Act 2019 and then in February 2022 set up a Code of Practice to try to establish a single appeals body for the industry, which the likes of the Claimant are opposing.  Instead of the kangaroo court the Claimant uses whereby their peers judge them, the defendant would rather rely on the law in England & Wales.

You could also add a quick paragraph at the end of the Unicorn Food Tax section.

51.  In their Witness Statement the Claimant refers to a "nominal contribution" - actually 60% of their original claim - and then enters laughable territory where they claim that litigation is not their normal work, whereas in reality the Claimant is a serial litigant.

These additional bits are of miniscule importance, I just suggest them to take the wee wee and to show the judge you've bothered to read and take in what is written in the fleecers' bilge.

Sorry for being so late with this-it's been a long day. Although you have to remove your OPS V  Wilshaw since it was appealed and  OPS won amazingly I have put in a bit to show that this Judge should be aware of the necessity of having a contract between OPS and the land owner, not  OPS and the motorist.

In the Wilshaw case they didn't produce a proper contract the first time which is why they have produced the land registry confirmation of who the landowner is. 

There are another 30  odd pages I believe you said some of which will be their signage. We may be able to critique those though you probably might be tight on time if you have to make more additions and alterations.

I have just remembered that their PCN included a £70 extra " nominal charge". I believe that in itself may render the PCN non compliant if not actually  unlawful since there is no mention of extra charges in the Act. Indeed the Act states quite clearly that the maximum that can be charged is the amount on the signage. And they did not stipulate a figure on the signage anyway.

LFI is right.  If you decide to include the paragraph I suggested above, it should be 70%, not 60%, my bad.

Had a go around and tried to weave in all points- see attached

No Locus standi looks a bit weak now they have provided the contract - is the point in 55 now redundant based on point 13 of the latest contract which talks about taking photo graphs and point 18 which says OPS will provide the charge system- or does this relate to pay machines ?

Couldn't create Exhibits and attach the web links but I'm not so worried about that- one is a video

V poor internet so spent all day on and off trying to edit this, will probably have to send it before you have time to comment given time difference but if there are any howlers please shout

Thanks again for all your guidance and advice

14-05-23 WS Rev6 forum.pdf

So e-mail to the court, obviously requesting return receipt, in the subject title write "Witness Statement - Claim no.XXXXX - One Parking Solution Ltd v XXXXX".

We normally say to snail mail the fleecers their copy, but that might be a bit difficult from the West coast of the USA!  So just CC the charlatans.

Yes, LOCUS STANDI is now weak but that's why it's at the end of the WS.  Don't worry, the judge will have made a decision long before that point.

Yes e mailed the court with WS as advised and asked for confirmation of receipt and received the following response

AUTO RESPONSE – DO NOT REPLY**

WE AIM TO REPLY TO CORRESPONDENCE WITHIN 30 WORKING DAYS HOWEVER AT BUSY TIMES THIS MAY BE LONGER

If you are getting in touch about an upcoming hearing date or something urgent we will reply as soon as we can.

IF SENDING BY EMAIL DO NOT SEND BY HARD COPY AS WELL

As for sending to DCBL, I was able to send the WS to my wife to print and post it off by registered mail

So lets see how this unfolds, I'm feeling pretty confident and will watch out on the off chance they see sense and drop the claim but they seem stupid enough to see it through

Thanks for everyone's input- lets hope we can chalk up another win against the parasites

• Like 2

Just when I thought it was sit and wait till D day in the courts, young Harry has ben busy scouring my WS and has today sent a supplementary WS dated 19th May so last Friday which is after the 14 day period court requires all WS's as per their guidelines- Is this even admissible as evidence ??

I'll redact and scan tomorrow but heads up on his counters to the points I made in my WS

1. Says their ex 2 from WS1 (pics of signs) states land only permitted for valid parking sessions, I should have paid for the 'privilege' of parking. terms on signs were sufficient and I breached the terms

2.dismisses frustration due to C19, says I admit to using the land for 17 mins and that's unreasonable to do so without taking notice of the prominently located signs ??? says 1 in 1 out irrelevant and without that I still should have bought a ticket even if I was there less than the 10 min grace period

3.They ref BPA 13.6 as not consideration and grace not being free periods of parking, because  say I wasn't parked I should not be eligible to either of these periods. Also sate Gov COP withdrawn in Jun 22

4. Says signs were adequate font size and location, say my photos were not date stamped- I can prove this on my phone if required, there's were blatantly before the event

5. Challenge my claim of illegal signage - no planning and refer to a clause in their contract with landowner where it mentions the word planning?? They need council planning permission though don't they for signage ?

6.ANPR provided by NTP 3rd party which they have no authority to edit but doesn't address the accuracy of the timings.

7. They say I allege no evidence of ANPR being used to manage the site but that it says it on the signs ?? My actual claim was that they do not have the landowners permission to install cameras or use them to manage the car park

8.The deny their NTK is not compliant with 2012 POFA

Should I send a response to this, do I have time?

I also tracked down the landlords address and called them to speak to the person who signed the agreement, seems its a lawyers office but the person I spoke to said they would pass on a message- I wrote outlining the situation and gave them to opportunity to speak to me about it or simply get OPS to cancel their action and avoid unnecessary court fiasco 

Appreciate your swift responses folks

I wouldn't worry too much.  We've generally seen nowt much of importance in SWs.

The judge might throw it in the bin as the 14-day period has not been respected - or they might allow it.  Obviously if they allow it they will allow a response from you. 

Please upload it tomorrow.