Massive rent increase - Scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1267 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I currently pay my landlord £450 a month to rent a room in his flat (and to have use of communal facilities), and I am out of my minimum term.

Until April, I was sharing with a flatmate, who was paying £425 a month. My landlord never sought to find a replacement for my former flatmate after he left. 

My landlord has recently decided that he wants to rent out the entire flat to one person or couple for £900 a month, rather than renting out the other room for £450 a month. I have told him that I cannot £900 a month rent (and, that withstanding, I am happy to just rent out the one room). As a result, he today issued me with a 3 month notice of his intention to increase my rent to £900.

His argument is that, technically, when I moved in I was renting the flat and merely splitting the costs with my flatmate (even though there was an understanding that I had no right of access to my former flatmate's bedroom, and vice versa). As the going rate for renting the whole flat is £900 a month, he feels that his actions are reasonable. 

I feel that my landlord's actions effectively amount to an eviction. I am aware that I can appeal his rent increase, but is my appeal likely to be successful?

In case it's relevant, I live in Scotland. 

Thanks

Jeff

23 hours ago, JeffW said:

I currently pay my landlord £450 a month to rent a room in his flat

Do you know what type of tenancy you have then ?

Use Shelter Scotland tenancy checker here https://tinyurl.com/bpk836k

And let us know the results, thank you .

Edited by 45002
url as ever !

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Can you just confirm, does the LL live in the same flat as you or not ?

Regards, Rent increases - your rent can only be increased once every 12 months (with 3 months notice) and if you think the proposed increase is unfair you can refer it to a rent officer.   https://tinyurl.com/y7zga7cl     .url takes you to shelter Scotland.

But

LL could serve you with a notice to quit https://tinyurl.com/yxl4bmp5        .url takes you to shelter Scotland,

Can you upload a copy of your tenancy agreement in pdf format with All personal and LL details blanked out .

Edited by 45002
flipping urls as ever....
  • Like 1

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

• stu007 changed the title to Massive rent increase - Scotland

Hi Jeff

I have converted your Images into one PDF, we prefer these to be in PDF format especially if it is multiple images.

Did the former flat mate give the correct notice to the Landlord of his intention to leave?

Are both you and the former flat mate named on and both signed that Agreement or did you both have separate agreements?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi Jeff

In addition to questions stu007 has asked you

Thank you....

1 minute ago, 45002 said:

Hi Jeff

In addition to questions stu007 has asked you

Thank you....

No, he lives at a different address. 

18 hours ago, stu007 said:

Hi Jeff

I have converted your Images into one PDF, we prefer these to be in PDF format especially if it is multiple images.

Did the former flat mate give the correct notice to the Landlord of his intention to leave?

Are both you and the former flat mate named on and both signed that Agreement or did you both have separate agreements?

Hi Stu

As far as I know, my former flatmate gave the correct notice, but I am not privy to that information. My former flatmate and I each had separate, independent agreements with the landlord. It was not the case that my ex-flatmate and I co-signed an agreement.

Jeff

PS I forgot to say - thanks for converting the images into a PDF

Edited by JeffW

From looking at the TA.

I don't think LL could get away increasing the rent by the amount you stated with you signing a new TA, which you are under No obligation to sign.

You can appeal the rent increase,  But the LL could serve you with a notice to quit.

Sorry to sound blunt you could always look for some else to live.

See what advice stu007 gives you...................

Edited by 45002

Thanks for that information that you both had separate agreements. (we really need to see the full agreement and all the clauses it contains with any personal data redacted in PDF Format)

Has the Landlord given you at least 3 months notice of a rent increase? (have a very good read of this link especially No. 4: https://www.gov.scot/publications/about-rent-service-scotland/#:~:text=Under a PRT%2C a landlord,Scotland for a rent adjudication.)

https://www.gov.scot/policies/private-renting/dispute-resolution/

Please also bear in mind what 45002 has stated as the landlord could go down that route

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group