Your parking ticket may be unlawful

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4982 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes, the council in question asked for a judicial review. Bad news actually this, if the courts find in favour of the council - and they probably will - it will probably override the incorrect wording issue that most of us are basing our claims on, so we could expect some huge unpaid parking ticket bills in theory. Don't bottle it yet, this one is set to run and run.

Remember most parking tickets are probably issued illegally anyway because of other technicalities such as worn out lines and so on, regardless of the wording on the tickets. There's more than one way to crack a nut! If the costs to the council of fighting the case rise to such a point that it is becoming expensive there is always the argument that the case isn't in the public interest especially since there is a limit to the costs they can reclaim! Don't lose sight of the fact that it's mostly a money-making [problem] and you won't lose faith.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You also find that councils who have got their PCN's right while on the swings tend to loose out on the roundabouts by having errors in their NTO's, NofR's & Charge Certificates.

It should be noted that if you appeal before receiving a NTO some councils make the fatal error of sending you a notice of rejection and a Charge Certificate without continuing the through the process of the statutory proceedure.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

hey there, i've just joined and i've recently been given a ticket and had my car towed away for (stupidly)parking on double yellows,but i've been reading these posts with great interest and i am looking to appeal against my ticket as it doesn't say "date of issue" or "date of contravention".the only places it says this is in the part where you are told to "pay a penalty of £60 within 28 days of the date of issue"but at the top of my ticket it only says "date",not date of issue!! is this invalid??

also, it only says "who had reasonable cause to believe that the following parking contravention had occured" no "date of conravention". is this also invalid???

If your car was NOT causing an obstruction the council may have broken the law by towing it away as only the police can order it to taken away in such circumstances & the council will have breached your human rights.

Ain't life grand!

The high court today ruled against Barnet council in the case of Moses V Barnet.

The end result is that if the ticket has no date on it which states "Date of Issue" it is unenforcable.

As it was the high court this is now a precident.

Get your old parking tickets out folks - time to get your money back.

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

Mine to

Ive been exchanging letters with Elmbridge and Woking council on this issue for the last couple of months and they have been treateing me like some sort of idiot.

I can feel a couple more letters coming on tomorrow

;) ;) ;)

7 actions in progress

A link here:

http://www.lmag.org.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=53

What was the technicality which won you the case?

I was arguing that I had been loading my car in a parking bay, but I still had a ticket on my passengers side window from earlier that morning. I was given a ticket for parking after my time had run out. The adjuducator ruled that it was invalid as it should have been parking without displaying a valid ticket as I'd left and come back. Can you believe that. Complete and untter B*llocks. Didn't want to get into my argument.

Incidentally, he stated that you can't load or unload in a parking bay. Complete B*llocks again, I've been printing out reams of regulations and parts of Acts to formulate my complaint against his handling of the case. He stated that was a fact, so if my case hadn't been decided on the technicality, he claimed I wouldn't be able to appeal on it as it wasn't a point of law.

If the name of the claim is blue and underlined, click it to see how I did it.

• Halifax - 1st Request for £3748.80 sent 10/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Goldfish - Unable to comment further, have a read

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Yes car credit - LBA sent 19/07 Court Action launched 26/09

• HFC Bank - 1st Request for £100 sent 06/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

Like what I said? Hit the scales on the top right of my post. Cheers

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

Help the site, donate 5%, I have.

The high court today ruled against Barnet council in the case of Moses V Barnet.

The end result is that if the ticket has no date on it which states "Date of Issue" it is unenforcable.

As it was the high court this is now a precident.

Get your old parking tickets out folks - time to get your money back.

Good news ReB at least one grey area cleared up!!

Chrismc v Vertex Data Science Ltd

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Won - Settlement Agreed at 11th Hour.

Philips Bailiffs

Lost - Judge changed at last minute, it didn't help!

G-MAC Early Redemption Charges Waived

Won - Early Redemtion Fees Waived in Full.

The wording 'Date of Issue' as against 'Date of Notice' still confuses me. The act mentions date of notice in its wording, but I've been told that 'Date of Notice' on the ticket makes it invalid. Mine has Date of Notice specified, and mentioned twice later in the payment section (i.e. '...beginning with the date of this notice'). It doesn't state 'Date of Contravention' as such, but 'Was seen in' [ROAD] 'On' [DATE].

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

The wording 'Date of Issue' as against 'Date of Notice' still confuses me. The act mentions date of notice in its wording, but I've been told that 'Date of Notice' on the ticket makes it invalid. Mine has Date of Notice specified, and mentioned twice later in the payment section (i.e. '...beginning with the date of this notice'). It doesn't state 'Date of Contravention' as such, but 'Was seen in' [ROAD] 'On' [DATE].

I think the difference between Date of Notice and Date of Issue is trivial. The vital outcome of Barnet case is that the Judge any PCN needs two dates. 1. Date of Issue/Notice and 2. Date of Contravention.

High Court Parking Ticket Victory for Motorists

AppealNow.com’s claim that Barnet and other council’s parking tickets are invalid upheld by the High Court.

“I expect to uncover more illegal parking tickets – Millions of pounds are involved” says AppealNow.com’s founder, Barrie Segal.

Motorists being fleeced for millions of pounds

Barnet Council’s parking tickets were judged to be invalid in a landmark case decided in the High Court today.

Mr. Justice Jackson ruled that Barnet’s parking tickets were invalid as they did not have two dates on them, one a date of contravention and the other a date of issue.

In the case of Hugh Moses – v - Barnet, Barrie Segal the founder of www.AppealNow.com™, represented Mr. Moses at the Parking Adjudicator and challenged the validity of Barnet Council’s parking tickets on the grounds that they did not have a date of issue. Two separate Parking Adjudicators upheld Mr. Segal’s argument and agreed that Barnet Council’s parking tickets were invalid.

Barnet Council took the matter to the High Court and challenged the decisions.

Today’s test case decision by Mr. Justice Jackson ruled that Barnet’s parking tickets were invalid as they did not have two dates on them, one a date of contravention and the other a date of issue. He also said that any parking ticket needs those two dates to be valid.

Barrie of www.AppealNow.com™, who has also successfully challenged the validity of parking tickets of Lambeth and Tower Hamlets says “This is a stunning victory for motorists who have had to put for years with arrogant councils whose parking tickets were invalid. Barnet Council is the worst council - they have even sent bailiffs in to repossess and sell the car of a blue badge driver, all based on these illegally issued parking tickets.

This legal precedent also in my view opens up a huge problems for Councils all over the UK”

Says Barrie “Parking tickets have to comply with a strict legal requirement. Under the Road Traffic Act 1991 the date of issue, amongst other things, must be shown on the parking ticket. In the Barnet and other cases it was not.

I have previously told the Chief Parking Adjudicator in London, the National Parking Appeals Service and the Scottish Appeals Service that in the interests of justice all adjudicators must consider the validity of the parking ticket when the make their decision. The fact that Parking Adjudicators have not done this as a matter of course is unacceptable.. Following this decision they will have no choice.

END

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

This is what we promised you, fight back and the tide will begin to turn. This is a landmark verdict, and a reminder to the powers that be that they must comply with the law too. Can't wait until the case for Blackpool comes up, they even state "Date of Offence" on the payment slip, implying that you have committed a criminal offence. Sounds like "defamation of character" to me. No mention of "Date of contravention" to be seen anywhere on the ticket.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

Great news.

Am I correct in thinking that Barnet are the only council to take this all the way to the High Court. If so was it not Barnet that ripped out the speed humps & much of the so called traffic calming features & have still managed to achieve a drop in accidents.

My point is why would a council which appears to be on the side of the motorist go all the way to the High Court in the full knowledge that the court might find against them?

I think you would struggle on the issue / notice bit but have a good look at the terms of payment etc on the rear. I found at least three mistakes on that.

When the Notice to owner came it was way out as well. The time started from the date of the notice instead of the date notice served which the ajudicators have decided renders it useless

The charge certificate was the same.

Im sure you will find something wrong with it.

REB

7 actions in progress

Not surprised it's the muppets the employ.

Did anyone see the photograph of the parking attendant giving a ticket to the lorry that because of a busted water main fell down a hole in the road when it collapsed as it passed over & was stuck fast.

The parking attendants office said the driver/firm could go to the time & trouble of going to appeal.

You really couldn't make it up could you.

hi to all

does anyone have a copy of the DoT parking ticket model, as i cant find it anywhere (been googleing it), also how to i add a photo so i can show a ticket i have recieved.

Do local authorities have to pursue you for the fine within a time limit

as a ticket was issued on 26th jan but they wrote to me on 11th may

thanks in advance

hi to all

does anyone have a copy of the DoT parking ticket model, as i cant find it anywhere (been googleing it), also how to i add a photo so i can show a ticket i have recieved.

Do local authorities have to pursue you for the fine within a time limit

as a ticket was issued on 26th jan but they wrote to me on 11th may

thanks in advance

No time limit on serving an NTO but anything over 6 months without a good excuse is deemed as prejudicing the motorist and is likely to be kicked out on appeal.

The template ticket is on this link.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_027631.pdf

Its worth bearing in mind that the template ticket dosnt comly with the RTA especially around the wording on the rear around payment allthough the ajudicators have said that if it follows exactly the template ticket it is likely to be OK

The best web site to read is this one.

London Motorists Action Group - Westminster PCN vulnerability adjudication victory

It has all the test cases and if you spend half an hour reading the cases Im sure you will find a fault with the NTO. I have on everyone so far particularly when the 28 days starts. It must say from date NTO served and not from date of the NTO.

Good luck

7 actions in progress

I was issued with a penalty charge notice from a private company called Central Ticketing. There is no date of issue on the ticket. Do the same rules apply to these firms for their tickets to be valid? I'd apprecaite any help around this matter.

No time limit on serving an NTO but anything over 6 months without a good excuse is deemed as prejudicing the motorist and is likely to be kicked out on appeal.

The template ticket is on this link.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_027631.pdf

Its worth bearing in mind that the template ticket dosnt comly with the RTA especially around the wording on the rear around payment allthough the ajudicators have said that if it follows exactly the template ticket it is likely to be OK

The best web site to read is this one.

London Motorists Action Group - Westminster PCN vulnerability adjudication victory

It has all the test cases and if you spend half an hour reading the cases Im sure you will find a fault with the NTO. I have on everyone so far particularly when the 28 days starts. It must say from date NTO served and not from date of the NTO.

Good luck

thanks for the helpfull advise, does a pcn have to be signed ?? as the one I have been sent a copy of does not have a signature on it.

I was issued with a penalty charge notice from a private company called Central Ticketing. There is no date of issue on the ticket. Do the same rules apply to these firms for their tickets to be valid? I'd apprecaite any help around this matter.

Does it actually state it's a "penalty" charge notice. If so it's not lawful.

I would write to the both the C/P owner & Central Ticketing & ask under what statute they are entitled to impose fines or penalties without due process.

Even the local councils have realised their mistake & many have stopped calling them fines or penalties

It sounds as if the "charge" was lawful particularly if their where signs promently displayed when you entered the car park.

The bit about collection means that they won't break the law by harrasing you when demanding payment. (which I doubt is true as these firms don't know any other way of getting their money)

Watch out though they can & do go direct to court without warning to get a CCJ then come after you for payment. You then have to go to the trouble & expense of having it set aside. Which if their ticket is found to be lawful could be a waste of your time & your money

• 1 month later...
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4982 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks