Cabot - AA Loan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1574 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The amount I pay each month has been agreed when Blair Oliver were dealing. It is the same now with df. The forms they sent wanted to know everything about my including email address, mobile phone no, partner's name etc etc. I had no intention of responding but wanted to double check on here. thanks.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell em to BOG off or take it to court they wouldn't dare!!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• 6 years later...

The AA loan that I took out in 2005ish having done the rounds with various unpleasant debt collection companies is now with Cabot.   

I have been paying the minimal amount of £1 per month.  

Following requesting and obtaining SAR documentation for PPI purposes in July last year from the AA I noted in the reams of paper I was sent that it said the loan was a "bad debt" and would therefore be "written off".     This was just in a print out - not an actual letter from them.    

I contacted Cabot in September to say I was now disputing the debt and would not be paying anything further. 

They noted the dispute and said they would be in touch.   

Some 14 weeks later I have finally heard back from them.  

They have said that the reference to bad debt and written off I saw does not mean the debt was written off, merely that the AA would not be dealing with it further and would be passing it a debt collection company.       

After I defaulted the AA through being made redundant in 2009 the account was passed to Blair Oliver Scott and then to various other companies including Westcott and was passed to Cabot on 25 September 2018 even though I continued to pay Westcott until February 2019.

In their letter Cabot say that by continuing to pay the debt for 8 years after it had terminated I am confirming I am aware the balance has not been cleared.    

Yes, I have been paying a minimal amount for this period of time but stopped when I came across the AA's print out saying bad debt, written off.

Does anyone know whether the term "bad debt" and "written off" relates to the debt end of or is just the AA's way of saying they would no longer be chasing and would be passing on the debt?

Yes - Cabot are right. Bad debt is used to describe something that they have no prospect of recovering. They then write it off and send the balance to a Debt Purchaser. 

They pay between 5 and 22% of the original amount. Cabot then purchase a portfolio,.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Cabot state "they have liaised with the AA who state the account was not written off as I suggest, and that I am liable for the full outstanding balance.   

When the AA use the term "written off", they are referring to an internal process in which they have written off recovering the debt through normal procedures.  They must follow this process in order to move the account to their Recoveries Department".

The original debt was £9,300.  

If the debt has been sold on to Cabot then they have only paid a proportion of that to the AA and now continue to chase me for the full amount they claim is still outstanding.  

I am not stupid and know how these companies behave.    

I am happy to pay what they paid the AA but not happy to pay more than they paid.

threads merged for history

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...