• Tweets

• The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Water Immersion Heater Legal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1799 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved into this property a year ago and the electrician who came out recently to fix a hot water issue wanted to replace this but the landlords wouldn't. 

My tenancy is through the council but it's owned by a private company a bit like a housing association.

Ive also just got a £600 electric bill for a 3 month period and believe this may be responsible. 

I still think it should have been replaced. 

Apparently the place was electrically tested before I moved in but I don't believe that because the washing machine plug socket didn't work when I moved in and they had to install a plug under the sink recently so I could use it. 

Hope you can help. 

Thanks in advance. 

IMG_20190415_181002.jpg

IMG_20190415_174418.jpg

I think you will probably have to start off by getting your own independent electrical inspection done. If it fails, then I would say that you would be entitled to get the costs of it from your landlord. No doubt there will be trouble about that so come back here.

I'm afraid that I don't know the answer to that problem but I am certain that you will be best off getting a completely independent electrical safety inspection and that means from somebody who works for you – and that means that you will have to pay for it. I suppose if you wanted to get the council involved then you might want to make a complaint that your home does not comply with various regulations.

In that case, maybe you should look very carefully at all the regulations in relation to certification, smoke alarms – et cetera et cetera and see whether there is anything in your home which doesn't comply. That might give you the basis upon which to make a complaint. However it is probably all very time-consuming and quite unsatisfactory.

there no mains feed to that so it CANT be the source of your high bills!!

the mains feed has been removed!!

that's 1970's vintage tank and immersion heater sp no way would that be working today anyway

immersions last at best 5yrs from that era.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So it’s that old? I thought it was, so it’s still legal? And you say mains feed? It does have a mains.

Also the mains for this immersion heater kept tripping my electric a couple of months ago and it totally burnt out in the end and didn’t trip my electric and could have caused issues.

The socket and wire had to be replaced and I was without hot water for 4 days because of their very poor response and as a disabled person it caused a lot of issues. 

Here is a pic.

IMG_20190415_235501.jpg

there is no fuse in that

there is no wire going into the top of the immersion 

where the masking tape says FAULTY

there should be that white wire feeding into the whole at the side.

its dead now.

yes it could well have been shorted as that's what they do, get covered in limescale , then that expands and breaks the tube inside

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

ok well don't show photos that don't show that then eh?

dx

and they

The electrician wanted the whole immersion tank replaced there and then but my landlord who is a private company similar to a housing association refused.

This property was provided to me by the council as I was homeless and it’s managed by a letting agency, they are useless to.

A few weeks ago the council had words with the landlords and they agreed to swap the whole immersion heater but then went back on that,

I will try try and get a better photo sorry.

aha see theres one down the bottom..

and we can see the new switch too..

the old one going south could well have caused high electric use yes.

the tank is old yes but doesn't mean its not OK

is could be full of fur and limescale, but I doubt they'd have bothered to fit the bottom element if it was that bad.

the only issue with bottom heating is it uses far more electric to heat the water than the old top feed down element.

sadly what they have done is quite acceptable.

are you finding you have to have the thing on for an extended length of time to get the hot water you used to need

and is the water much hotter or colder than how things used to be.

and they

When I moved in last year the top one was labelled faulty, it’s always been running from the bottom from start of tenancy, they just replaced the socket and wire so nothing is different but the high electric issue is a big concern considering I live alone in a small flat.

The big bill is between December and March, the socket and wire on the immersion heater was replaced around 20th February.

good further info all becoming clearer now when we get the right answers from the right questions.

so the bottom immersion was fed from the old top mains feed but that got replaced by the new outlet in feb after it went faulty.

I wouldn't think the old wiring caused your high bill no.

p'haps look for other sources of the high bill

how do you heat your home?

and they

Suggest that complain to the council, as you mention that the council arranged the housing and therefore are required to check the standard of accommodation offered by the housing association they outsourced the provision of housing to. 

I would not be happy with any immersion heater provision of hot water, as that is a really expensive way to heat water. During the winter with colder water, it can take a couple of hours to heat a tank that size. So if you had the heater on for say 4 hours per day, over 3 months, that would be quite expensive. Then add on other electricity usage and I could see that getting close to £600 for 3 months.

The council housing department should take an interest, but if they don't then contact your local councillor.

Edited by unclebulgaria67

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

an immersion heater element at the botton is more efficient than the old ones that were in the top anyway.

Will it pass an electrical test?

possibly but that will depend on how old the rest of your household electrical circuits are as the regulations that were in place when they were installed are the ones that apply, not the current ones unless some substantial work has been done.

Could this rewire be considerd substantial?

Surface mounted electrics generally arent enough to make the whole thing comply to the modern regs so you will then have to get a test done to see if there is an earth leakage somewhere or a socket is incorrectly wired.

what about your portable appliances?

they should be tested as some old stuff may cause problems.

simple PAT test,

no need to strip down double insulated items like playstations etc,

they either work or they dont