• Tweets

• Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
    • S13 (2)The creditor may not exercise the right under paragraph 4 to recover from the keeper any unpaid parking charges specified in the notice to keeper if, within the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which that notice was given, the creditor is given— (a)a statement signed by or on behalf of the vehicle-hire firm to the effect that at the material time the vehicle was hired to a named person under a hire agreement; (b)a copy of the hire agreement; and (c)a copy of a statement of liability signed by the hirer under that hire agreement. As  Arval has complied with the above they cannot be pursued by EC----- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- S14 [1]   the creditor may recover those charges (so far as they remain unpaid) from the hirer. (2)The conditions are that— (a)the creditor has within the relevant period given the hirer a notice in accordance with sub-paragraph (5) (a “notice to hirer”), together with a copy of the documents mentioned in paragraph 13(2) and the notice to keeper; (b)a period of 21 days beginning with the day on which the notice to hirer was given has elapsed;  As ECP did not send copies of the documents to your company and they have given 28 days instead of 21 days they have failed to comply with  the Act so you and your Company are absolved from paying. That is not to say that they won't continue asking to be paid as they do not have the faintest idea how PoFA works. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

TORT Notice applied to my car. Housing Association car park **RESOLVED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1954 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ignoring the lack of tax and MOT to taker it on the road, is it driveable? If not the the HA m,ay be in the wrong if they take it away and destroy it but you can obnly recover your losses and that will be damned close to zero for what is basically a lump of scrap metal (regardless of how you describe it).

Another reason for insuring it, they take the hit for the value of the car then and as already mentioned, if you have the legal help cover the HA will have a bill that is many times the value of your metal lump.

Put it bluntly, do something to help yourself either by fully describing the situation where the car is currently parked as we keep getting top up information only as a result of asking numerous times for it or as suggested in several ways go to the very top and either gibe the actual landowner some grief or the Trustees of the HA/charity and that should be in writing and to their personal addresses, not via the pen pushers who are currently causing you grief.

Rax isnt necessary, see the conclusion of a parking ticket appeal in Cheam Library car park, it clarifies the situation for all land whetehr there is access through it or not.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes its drivable and its certainly not a lump of scrap metal and I don't see why I should just give up.

As for only getting scrap value if HA do take my car, is this your opinion or can you prove this.

My TA clearly says I can park my car in the car park with no terms or sub sections that says my car must be roadworthy, taxed, Mot'd and insured.

I've given all the details on this forum to the best of my knowledge.

Other than who owns the land, whats been asked numerous of times that I've not answered ?

I've said what the Tort notice says and reasons why the HA issued it.

When I told the HA my car is not abandoned, declared as SORN and on private property, so doesn't need road tax, thats when HA said the terms of my TA says my car must be roadworthy, taxed, Mot'd and insured when parked in the residents car park.

My car is parked in a residents car park outside my home, just a normal car park, no permit needed or allocated space, just park anywhere without blocking entrances or causing obstruction.

I can't just write to Trustees of the HA/charity at their personal addresses, that could be seen as harassment and getting a warning from the Police, which won't help.

I have no choice but follow a complaint procedure which must be exhausted before I can turn to Housing Ombudsman but I'd rather it not get that far.

By posting on here, I was looking for specific legislation which I could send to the HA to stop the Tort Notice, but nothings been suggested.

I've already said why I've not applied to the Land Registry due to time constraint.

Good, you'll probably get another threatening letter from a solicitor.

Stand your ground and tell them again that if they touch your car they'll be breaking the law and you will report them to the police as well as charging them full replacement value of the vehicle and all associated costs.

already been said, tort notice relies on abandonment so they are using the wrong law and they become liable. they know who the keeper/owner is but are relying on the wording further down the Act.

You wont get doen for harassment if you write to the trustees, you have a right to as it is their job to ensure the employees are doing their jobs properly and they are personally liable for any bills received as a result fo their employees actions.

I have sued the trustees of a HA before, the housing trust bureaucrats didnt like it that I had gone above them as they like to keep all of the wrongdoings and errors quiet. My claim was settled because they dont want a judgement registered and have to appeal in their annual report so they went for a "drop hands" in the court once they realised they had a case to answer.

11th hour repreive.

Received a flippant email from HA, very little detail but says my car will not be removed as indicated on the Torts Notice and matter been passed to legal team for further advice.

Because they know they can do nothing to you. The solicitor can do even less. They just use a solicitor to try and intimidate you. Remember, you can get a solicitor to type any letter you want if the pay is right.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks for the replies.

Reason I said what I did about harassment of trustees, it's because, I was issued with a harassment warning for contacting a trustee.

I've since discovered I didn't have to sign or acknowledge it.

I was unhappy with the services of a NHS appointed organisation which has since been shut down by its governing body for bad practice, and I had unwittingly wrote to a trustee and followed it up with a phone call.

During the call, the trustee was annoyed I had written to her home address and phoned her home but suggested I call another number and leave a message, which I did.

Within hours, 2 Police cars arrived and four Police officers where at my door.

I was told not to contact the trustee again and I foolishly signed the harassment warning although I didn't think I'd done anything wrong.

I guess I was overwhelmed by the presence and attitude of the Police.

The trustee had cunningly asked me to leave a message at another number and this, with the letter (not email) was enough for the Police to issue a warning.

I dont want to endure that again and I certainly don't want another warning.

You can be issued a notice for anything. It doesnt mean it has any legal standing though. With regards to the officers, it sounds like they were fed a pack of lies.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

The Police said I must follow official complaint procedure and not be writing to or phoning a trustee at their home.

Although, over the years I felt aggrieved enough to complain and have made a few complaints, official and otherwise, I don't know the full ins and outs of what's acceptable and what isn't, that's one of the reasons why I posted on here.

The Police turning up how they did, although years ago now, makes me all the more cautious, I didn't like it and it was embarraasing.

The police shouldnt turn up and advise that. Its nothing to do with them. One letter/call certainly shouldnt have them coming to your home.

Yes I agree, but they did and no matter what I said, it was because I'd written to a trustee at her home address

It's easy says I should tell them it's nothing to do with them but in the heat of the moment, I thought they were going to arrest me in front of my family, and the neighbours which had gathered outside, I guess because of the Police cars

Thats still not harassment. Something else has happened. if they did arrest ya, youd have a nice claim against the police.

But thats in the past. You have the right avenue to persue now, and youve called their bluff, hence why they are trying to intimidate by using a solicitor. A solicitor that should say they dont have a leg to stand on unless the car was abandoned, which it clearly hasnt been.

in short, the sol sounds pretty inept.

What did you actually say in that letter, and what have the sols said?

I can assure you nothing more had happened, I complained in writing by letter got no reply, complained again, still no reply, so I sent another letter, this time to a different address, which turned out to be that of a trustee and other than the follow up phone calls, thats it.

Some months after the Police warning, I got a letter from the governing body saying organisation been shut down due to bad practice.

I never pursued it.

What did you actually say in that letter, and what have the sols said?

I Just sent an official complaint saying everything I've already said on this forum, that my car is not abandoned, its declared as SORN and my TA says, as a resident, I can park a car in the residents car park and the clause the HA quotes, saying my car must be roadworthy, tax, mot'd and insured is not stated in my TA.

I also said government legislation allows a car owner to declare a vehicle as SORN to the DVLA as long as it's taken off the road

I've followed this legislation and ensured the car park is private property and doesn't form part of the adopted highway.

I also included the contact details of everyone I spoke to at the local council and the Police.

I also said, I don't authorise the removal of my car as the HA doesn't have the lawful authority to remove sell or destroy my car without my consent and I will hold the HA liable for any loss and or, any additional cost incurred and or, any damaged caused as a result of its removal.

I've not had a letter from HA solicitors yet. Just that this matter has been passed onto the legal team.

Well done! :thumb:

So after all their bravado, once you fought back they soiled their underpants and ran away :lol:

If their original TORT notice was legal, why do they have have to consult the legal team? 'Cos of course they haven't got a clue really legally. Typical of HAs, NHS trusts (my experience), etc. Anyway, well done on fighting back.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ah Don't you actually mean the Housing Association own inhouse Legal Team.

As already said if the TORT was Legal why all of a sudden does the HA have to consult there Legal Team. (I can see that little cloud from the HA saying 'we are not telling him we messed up think fast, ah lets use we need to consult Legal Team) ah they got legal by sending you that TORT Notice then saying you were in breach of your Tenancy Agreement as the Clause was in there about this action.

Just so you are aware if it is an inhouse Legal Team they will more that likely have a Solicitor and Paralegals to do the leg work. so you do your research and check the credentials of the Solicitor or Paralegal and importantly remember you are actually paying for this inhouse Legal Team via the Rents.

So you fight back and Challenge everything as I have mentioned via your Formal Complaint even during it if they say X is white when its a different colour then you ask them to provide you with the correct Legislation/Regulation/Housing Association Policies/Tenancy Agreement etc and you require copies of these or link to that information.

This Latest update you got from HA if you know who sent, I would respond informing them that you have made a Formal Complaint about this issue and require clarification from them that they are aware of this.

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Yeah, the email from HA said passed to their legal department for advice.

Only fact HA claimed is the clause of my TA saying cars in the car park must be roadworthy, Tax etc and they still haven't provided proof because it's not in my TA and it's not even in the new TA which they want residents to sign.

I got the current result/response because of the formal complaint, which they say, now it's a formal complaint they must adhere to their formal complaint procedure.

Which incidentally is ridiculously labelled as:

Stage One is Zero

Stage Two is One

Stage Three is Two

As for the HA Complaints Process and the Stages you have mentioned I do find strange.

Most HA Complaints Process is a 2 Stage Process that's why I find the above very strange and how they have classed the Stages. You really need a copy of there Complaints Policy.

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

As for the HA Complaints Process and the Stages you have mentioned I do find strange.

Most HA Complaints Process is a 2 Stage Process that's why I find the above very strange and how they have classed the Stages. You really need a copy of there Complaints Policy.

I know I have previously ask and you said why you wouldn't but Name the Housing Association

I appreciate all the advice,

opinions and suggestions which forum members have been good enough to provide.

It's not necassary to say which HA it is, I've already revealed more than I would of liked to.

I've managed to achieve the result I wanted, without disclosing the HA name on this forum.

I've shared all the relevant details and other than apply to the LR, everything suggested by forum members I had already done.

keep asking, gives the impression that you believe I'm interpreting the HA polices wrong, which I'm not.

All I find strange by the HA complaint procedure, is the silly manner in which they've named the stages, rather than 1, 2 and 3 but the fact that there's a 3rd stage and, if you wish to continue to offer advice, then you'll just have to take my word for it.

My refusal to share the HA name shouldn't be held against me.

You don't need to name them. The advice would be the same no matter who they were

Don't be daft you not naming the HA is entirely your decision and would never be held against you on CAG so please don't think that.

Wait and see how they actually respond in full to your Formal Complaint and hopefully provide all the policies you have asked for. (as I have previously said when you get these just take your time reading them and when doing so just think to yourself 'Did They Do That' and if not mark it and do it with them all. This lets you build evidence of what the didn't do as per there own policies.