• Tweets

• that was a good saving on an £8k debt dx
    • Find out how the UK general elections works, how to register to vote, and what to do on voting day.View the full article
    • "We suffer more in imagination than in reality" - really pleased this all happened. Settled by TO, full amount save as to costs and without interest claimed. I consider this a success but feel free to move this thread to wherever it's appropriate. I say it's a success because when I started this journey I was in a position of looking to pay interest on all these accounts, allowing them to default stopped that and so even though I am paying the full amount, it is without a doubt reduced from my position 3 years ago and I feel knowing this outcome was possible, happy to gotten this far, defended myself in person and left with a loan with terms I could only dream of, written into law as interest free! I will make better decisions in the future on other accounts, knowing key stages of this whole process. We had the opportunity to speak in court, Judge (feels like just before a ruling) was clear in such that he 'had all the relevant paperwork to make a judgement'. He wasn't pleased I hadn't settled before Court.. but then stated due to WS and verbal arguments on why I haven't settled, from my WS conclusion as follows: "11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. "  He offered to stand down the case to give us chance to settle and that that was for my benefit specifically - their Sols didn't want to, he asked me whether I wanted to proceed to judgement or be given the opportunity to settle. Naturally, I snapped his hand off and we entered negotiations (took about 45 minutes). He added I should get legal advice for matters such as these. They were unwilling to agree to a TO unless it was full amount claimed, plus costs, plus interest. Which I rejected as I felt that was unfair in light of the circumstances and the judges comments, I then countered with full amount minus all costs and interest over 84 months. They accepted that. I believe the Judge wouldn't have been happy if they didn't accept a payment plan for the full amount, at this late stage. The judge was very impressed by my articulate defence and WS (Thanks CAG!) he respected that I was wiling to engage with the process but commented only I  can know whether this debt is mine, but stated that Civil cases were based on balance of probabilities, not without shadow of a doubt, and all he needs to determine is whether the account existed. Verbal arguments aside; he has enough evidence in paperwork for that. He clarified that a copy of a DN and NOA is sufficient proof based on balance of probabilities that they were served. I still disagree, but hey, I'm just me.. It's definitely not strict proof as basically I have to prove the negative (I didn't receive them/they were not served), which is impossible. Overall, a great result I think! BT  
    • Seeking further advice now. The 33 days in which the defendant has to submit a defence expires at 16:00 tomorrow. The defendant has submitted an acknowledgement of service but looking to get the claim awarded by default in failure to submit the defence. This is MoneyClaim Online and can see an option to request a default judgement but believe that is for failure to acknowledge the claim within 14 days??  So being MoneyClaim Online, how do I request the claim be awarded in my favour?
    • Have to agree with the above Health and safety legislation is specific in that the service provider in so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees and those not in the employ of the business. You claim is like saying you slipped in the swimming pool area while taking a dip. As rightly stated by by the leisure centre, a sports hall has dedicated equipment and you yourself personally have a legal obligation in mitigating danger or injury to yourself by taking account of your immediate surroundings. Where your claim will fail is if it is reasonable and proportionate to impose liability of the Leisure Centre? The answer has to be no.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

The European Union.....In or Out?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2897 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You mean corruption ?..

Well they have always said the public don't know enough about the EU complexities to make a decision. What they don't understand is our gut feelings.They need to explain better where the future is going within the EU be truthful of what the main plan is.

- beer would be free for all

.... I like port and gin too

- holidays abroad would also be free

... only if you are an immigrant and get deported

- unemployment to zero

... all unemployed lose passports and deported, or jailed - then deported

- minimum wage £35 an hour

... excpet for (see 800 page document)

- we can smoke in pubs again!

... probably

- new trade agreements with USA and China, but on our terms, because we're bigger than them

... and the trade deal just as realistic

- roads will be pretty much empty because we know it's the foreigners who clog them

... and we would have no petroleum or car imports anyway - so only the richest of the rich can afford it

- no more floodings

... as the 1 million remaining rich people could move to high ground

- crime will go to zero, just like before we entered the EU

... well officially reported crime

- pedophilia will be virtually extint. Jimmy Saville was a Polish immigrant

... but we'd still have the BBC and Parliament

- Farage, Gove, Johnson. One of these will become the new king of England, after killing the other two

... true - but it wouldn't be reported as a crime

- we can finally get rid of the Scots and the Welsh

... also true, but we'd need 4 million border staff

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

Those people who say we should vote to stay in the EU, by

using arguments to frighten the living day lights out of people,

have really sunk to a new level, which they have called a

“glitch”, some glitch.

Apparently the Election Commission has admitted a number

of local authorities were involved in this so called “glitch” in

election software, which is used by several councils, which

failed to record the nationalities of some voters. I don’t

believe a word of it, I really can’t see how with the importance

given to this referendum that that sort of mistake could

possible made I would be more inclined to think it was

deliberate, after all EU nationals have a vested interest in

voting to remain in order to protect their rights, which

includes their right to work and live here.

Dont worry about that - thats small fish.

The Americans want us to stay

So the Americans' Roswell HAARP technology will be used to mind control us and the vote will be 98% in favor of remain - even you, even you, even you ...

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Why should I come around to your reason, I have chosen the sensible line, not the crackpots road.

It makes no difference what clubs Turkey belongs to, and Nato has nothing to do with anything. Cameron stood on a platform in Turkey and gave a load of bull thinking it would make

him popular, now it's proved the other way, he is trying to back track and get out of it.

I wonder if Turkey will help us in WW3.

No need to be rude, I am sure that if I called you a crackpot someone would edit it. Not the first time some posts have been edited to protect some of the site team -no names mentioned

Using the phrase crackpot suggests that you are so blinkered you have not examined the reasons for staying in and can not make a coherent argument for leaving other than stooping to playground tactics of name calling

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

This thread is getting very close to that fine line. I am all for free speech but not at the expense of belittling posts. This particular thread has had some leniency due to the importance of the discussion.

For information, threads are edited when needed and it doesn't matter who the offender is be it CAG users or site team. I don't make decisions based on who is or who isn't site team. If a user slags off a site team member without justification, this gets edited/removed. Where justified, the post remains unless it starts a flame war. This thread has bounced back and forth between normal posts and flame posts so on the whole it balances itself out.

Fletch, you have expressed your displeasure at the post made by Conniff and that is fine. There is (at the moment) no need for action however, I would ask that people here treat each other how they would expect to be treated.

Respect can be given easily and removed just as evenly.

The one big problem with this thread is that it is ALL supposition. There is NO sensible line NOR ANY crackpot road. There hasn't been any real term of reference from the past to judge how the EU will be after the referendum. We choose to believe what we are told from both sides and as we know. Both sides will lie to us to get the result they want. Scaremongering of the highest order.

Both sides have an agenda which we will never know about because it suits the politicians to do so which is why I will go with my gut and my beliefs.

What WILL help this thread is if posters say 'MAY' rather than 'WILL' as nobody knows what will happen, only what may.

For example: Michael Gove (and others) state we give the EU £350m a week to the EU. Not true and they know it as the rebate is removed prior to payment

The Common Agriculture Policy is ringfenced by the EU. Will that be maintained by the UK if we leave? Doubt it.

The NHS will receive an extra £100m a week by 2020. Is that true? I doubt it.

I could go on but the simple FACT is that until we know where we stand, silly statements mean nothing so I suggest to the posters that state their own view of facts, wind their necks in and debate respectfully.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

The debate within this CAG thread has been quite mild compared to the spats between various politicians, who are supposed to be members of the same political party.

Listening to David Mellor on LBC this morning and he thinks that if the country votes for Brexit, that there will be a renegotiation between UK and EU to try to keep the UK within the EU. If Mellor is correct, surely this would mean another referendum based on the renegotiation. Boris Johnson has said as PM this is what he might well do, but Cameron says that if people vote to leave the EU, that is what will happen.

Personally, i think this referendum is a mistake as the country is split 50/50 and a narrow win either way is likely to cause a political storm, with a war within the Tory party, a leadership contest and the possibility of an early election. Cameron did not think he would win a majority at the election and therefore he could avoid the referendum under a coalition deal. The winning of a majority will ironically be the cause of Camerons downfall.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The NHS will receive an extra £100m a week by 2020. Is that true? I doubt it.

I think Gove effectively buried that 'suggestion' last night.

.. or indeed any Brexit claim that the NHS will get any more money.

Mind you, at least he didn't actually confirm the NHS would get less (but it would).

The Tory Legacy

UB

It is , as you say ironic that the winning of a majority has caused so many problems for cameron , it was the winning of the 92 election that helped to give us 13 years of a centre right party called new labour.

Cameron is of course quite safe to say that if the referendum votes to leave that is what he intends to do because he knows that he will not be PM let alone leader to see that happen, we all know , even using the parliament Act just how long it takes to get a controversial state passed. I have suspected from day 1 that some believe that a no vote will be used to renegotiate the terms of us staying in the EU, the problem is, if that is to lead to another referendum , who can predict the outcome. I am afraid i do not hold many of the electorate in particularly high regard as explained by earlier posts when I referred to the powers of the press.

As Silverfox says , no one is giving us true answers but that is probably because no one can give real figures. Take how much it costs to be in the EU, yes there is a cost but then there is a rebate and also grants paid to regenerate areas , these were particularly great in the 80's and 90's i believe to regenerate areas decimated by the deindustrialisation of this country, caused , in my opinion by the decisive conservative government of the time.

Then we have the benefits in trade, so maybe that negates all of the excess or most of it and maybe the extra security is worth even more.

We have benefited greatly in the past from the EU and I am not sure it is right to say , ok so we have had our fill now so we don't want to lay any more.

Then we move onto the claim that the EU makes laws for us , well they can do nothing that our elected leaders have not at sometime agreed to. I do not agree with our electoral system but from what I have seen , most of the leave campaign like it. Our so called democratically elected leaders have signed the treaties that allow the council of ministers and commissioners to make the laws that they do, so please do not use the notion of it being undemocratic as an excuse to vote out, our parliament is not representative of the will of the people , for example look at the number of seats UKIP , SNP and the lib dems got in relation to the votes they polled- now that IS undemocratic

Cameron v Islam (Faisel)

Gove

Cant wait for Cameron V Farage

The Tory Legacy

The key question is what harm has the EU caused to the UK economy and whether the EU is holding back the UK economy ?

I don't think the EU has caused any harm and the UK benefits from being part of a block of countries, which will prove to be very important in the years ahead, as the US and China fight it out to be the largest economy.

When i look around my local area, there are a large number of companies who operate throughout Europe, because the EU facilitates common rules across Europe, making it much easier to trade. If the UK was not part of the EU and there were lots of different trading arrangements, i am not sure these companies would have invested in UK offices, factories etc.

According to Cameron, after 2 years of triggering the relevant EU clause to leave the organisation, the UK would be faced with having to live under World Trade Organisation rules, rather than current EU rules. This will make it very difficult for companies to plan investment, make decisions for their businesses and will therefore affect their employees. If there is uncertainty, we know that investment gets choked off and companies make different decisions.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Oh god help us, if we have to live under WTO rules we are stuffed.

Can someone please explain to me how an organisation that is supposed to encourage global trade that covers agriculture , industry etc yet lets the EU have protectionist agricultural programs . the CAP is one such program , I wonder if we will be able to compete in exporting agricultural products to the EU without the CAP

I know people are saying that the money 'saved' will just be put back into the sectors that have lost it but I do not believe that for a moment, IMHO politicians are generally corrupt in that they will do whatever it takes to get themselves re elected . Why save a 'few' farmers when the middle classes could be given tax cuts.

After a small amount of study on the World bank group , I am convinced they have one goal and that is to maintain Americas supremacy

Oh god help us, if we have to live under WTO rules we are stuffed.

Can someone please explain to me how an organisation that is supposed to encourage global trade that covers agriculture , industry etc yet lets the EU have protectionist agricultural programs . the CAP is one such program , I wonder if we will be able to compete in exporting agricultural products to the EU without the CAP

Absolutely

Consider those who should be considered our true enemies, China and America.

Both are immensely protective of their own profit generation, preventing outside competition and denying markets whilst demanding others open their markets.

yes the EU does the same for its own internal markets (when Cameron doesn't block them) - as it needs to to survive against China and America.

Without being part of that EU market, in a group that protects each other, we are very much at the mercy of America and China who would even more consider us just a small player to take advantage of.

The EU is by no means perfect, but being in it is vastly superior to the relalities of being outside it, a small fish in a big pond with some damned big and merciless sharks.

I know people are saying that the money 'saved' will just be put back into the sectors that have lost it but I do not believe that for a moment, IMHO politicians are generally corrupt in that they will do whatever it takes to get themselves re elected . Why save a 'few' farmers when the middle classes could be given tax cuts.

After a small amount of study on the World bank group , I am convinced they have one goal and that is to maintain Americas supremacy

Absolutely. Anyone who claims otherwise should give some evidence. I can't find ant which contradicts what you say, but plenty which support that perspective.

The Tory Legacy

That’s me I’ll be voting to stay in after all, how can I not,

after all how can I possible argue against the likes of

Gordon Brown, Tony Blair, Ed Miliband and Neil Kinnock,

all leading pillars of society, who say we should stay.

Gordon Brown:- sold our gold at such a low price he may

has well given it away. He was rubbish as PM.

Tony Blair:- took us into an illegal war, at a cost of hundreds

of lives and lied to the country to do so. Wanted to be

President of the EU. Now makes his money both him and his

misses from talking to dictators war mongers and murders.

Ed Miliband:- what can I say about him, as wet as

2 damp rags, could anybody really take him seriously, a right

plonker put his manifesto on a great big tomb stone, ever

seen him eat a bacon sandwich.

Last but not least we have.

Neil Kinnock:- the Welsh windbag, EU commissioner, did not

last long though sacked his head of auditing because she would

not sign off EU accounts because of corruption of funds. He wants

to stay in of course, he gets a pension from the EU, why would he

want to leave, even managed to get his wife elected as an MEP.

Says it all really. Na! think I’ll change my mind and still vote to leave.

Here are some fact about the future if we pull out of the EU.

‘Outside the EU, British Law will collapse: the wheels will fall off

cars, television sets will burst into flames, workers will be reduced

to medieval servitude, those children not up chimneys or down mines

will be poisoned by their toys or electrocuted by their cell phones,

grass will wither, sheep will die; and we shall be invaded by geriatric

swivel-eyed loons from the planet Zog.’

Edited by buckthorn
add

Now for the real facts if we leave:-

EU directives are part of British Law and will continue to hold until a

British Parliament is free to repeal or amend them. That can only

happen if we vote to leave the EU on June 23rd.

The difference will be that our MPs will no longer have the EU as an

excuse to absolve themselves from responsibility for the most

egregious absurdities. They will once again be answerable only to us,

the electorate. If they fail to get rid of our rubbish, we shall be able

to get rid of them.

(‘Si vous m’obstucterez, je vous get-ridderez’- Churchill to de Gaulle-

possibly apocryphal, but certainly in character).

It is simply untrue to assert we shall have to submit to all EU rules in

order to trade with it. We shall have to meet EU standards for export

to the EU but we shall once more be allowed to make and buy

(eg) 2 kW vacuum cleaners for domestic consumption and for export

to the rest of the world.

‘Harmonisation’ has more to do with anti-competitive lobbying on the

Commission by large corporations than it has with consumer protection.

Those same large corporations (and EU-funded NGOs) are doubtless

characterised as ‘of any standing’, implicitly dismissed as worthless the

complaints from a plethora of entrepreneurs and small businesses about

the stultifying effects of EU anti-competitive strangulation.

I do not regard the sacrifice of our fishermen and farmers to European

interests as matters of little worth or their complaints as having little standing.

I have consistently maintained the issues are constitutional. No-one has

much idea what the economic future holds, because there are, by definition,

no ‘facts’ about the future. The question is’ who governs us?’. My answer, for

better or worse, is ‘not you EU!’

Buckthorn

Now you are just being a little silly

As said, no one knows what will happen exactly however with the polarisation of politics that seems to be happening we will probably always have right of centre governments , with a centre right labour party and a far right conservative UKIP.

If that happens, you can be sure that an economy based on liberal capitalism will surely gain ground, that means small state i.e low welfare which includes hospitals pensions and all the things that most people rely on, less regulation, less workers protection and an increase in the already huge divide between rich and poor.

If you don't believe me think of this

For the last 5 years I have regularly walked through Birmingham city centre in the early morning and now see more and more homeless people. 5 years ago it was the odd one, now I see a minimum of 10-15 every day and that included the winter. That is a five minute walk from the bus to the station so not exactly a comprehensive survey

Look at the waiting list for social housing, the stock was sold off in the 80's onwards and has never been replaced.

It was interesting to see Gove squirm on the sky interview

....but being in it is vastly superior to the relalities of being outside it,....

Despite post #782 you are continuing to make definitive statements without backing them up. You need to be pushing 70 to have experienced life outside the EU.

What you are saying is this country was a slum, made nothing, sold nothing abroad when the exact opposite is the truth.

So if being inside is so superior, what are these realities ??

Lets see true reasons and not hearsay guesses ???

As said, no one knows what will happen exactly however with the polarisation of politics that seems to be happening we will probably always have right of centre governments , with a centre right labour party and a far right conservative UKIP.

We definitely will not have a centre right government if Labour gets in, especially if Corbyn is still the leader, it will be so far left it will make Putin look like a far right winger.

It seems a quick goal post move has happened

People who want out are saying that when we had the referendum for the EEC it was very different which is was in the 70's. That's when the wheels fell of and we had to go cap in hand to the IMF and their SAP

That led directly to the winter of 78/79 , the winter of discontent .

If Britain as a relatively rich country even then suffered so much, look at what damage the American driven IMF and WB do

http://johnpilger.com/videos/war-by-other-means

Certainly worth a watch but slightly off topic but does provide some evidence of what SAPs do

Conniff

As you have said many times it may well be that Corbyn is unelectable although to refer to him as so far left of Putin kind of misses the point. Putin is a totalitarian leader who seems to have delusions of grandeur.

Sadly I believe that we will have centre right governments just as the do in the US. This will lead to increasing focus on making the rich richer and there is no evidence of the so called trickle down effect.

To be fair to Obama he has tried to provide services for the poor but their system makes it almost impossible.

People talk about trading with the US but what happens if the talking hairpiece gets elected and goes into glorious isolationism. No trade . If we stay in, at least we will have Europe to trade with.

Someone mentioned earlier that Germany is a net exporter to us, that's because their industrial base was not destroyed by various governments.

Another good read to see what harm the right do is Esping-Andersons Three worlds of welfare capitalism . We are more like America than we care to admit .

And I am not fan of the American State.

I will admit that the comparison with Putin was a bit wild, Putin is just an egotistical bully, warmonger and thief.

But never a center right Labour. Corbyn has already said and his cabinet agreed that they will nationalise half the country, that definitely isn't to the right.

I love America, I lived and worked there for many years, and worked with American people in many countries around the world, the people are kind, friendly and honest. The only thing I didn't like was their attempt at scrambled eggs.

Edited by Conniff

For clarity

I did not mention the American people, I said the American state. Huge difference

I wish Corbyn could win and nationalise much of British business , water, electricity, gas just for a start. These are profitable businesses that worry about shareholder dividends rather than re investment. What percentage are British owned?

Arriva and cross country are German, elf is French, need I go on

Buckthorn

Now you are just being a little silly

For the last 5 years I have regularly walked through Birmingham city centre in the early morning and now see more and more homeless people. 5 years ago it was the odd one, now I see a minimum of 10-15 every day and that included the winter. That is a five minute walk from the bus to the station so not exactly a comprehensive survey

Look at the waiting list for social housing, the stock was sold off in the 80's onwards and has never been replaced.

And all that since we have been a member of the EU, cant really see that it can be any worse if we pull out.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2897 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks