£250 charge from insurance company after black box shows bad driving

JoeyJoeC
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3130 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Colleague's boyfriend took the car and was speeding. (If it at all matters, he took out temp cover with another company).

The insurance company Policy Wise has now sent a letter to say they want £250 or they will cancel the insurance policy.

Just checking that they are able to charge this amount? Surely they have to have a breakdown of costs otherwise it is seen as a penalty?

Thanks

Edit: Just checked the policy documents and it does refer to the £250 charge as a Penalty.

http://imglnk.uk/img?i=oOoujV.jpg

You may need to explain a bit better.

Has your colleague received the 'penalty' via her insurers, but it was her boyfriend who was driving, on his own insurance policy ? If so, get her to tell them that.

The linked doc shows a £250 penalty for 6 points. Has anybody got 6 points ?

Colleague's boyfriend took the car and was speeding. (If it at all matters, he took out temp cover with another company).

The insurance company Policy Wise has now sent a letter to say they want £250 or they will cancel the insurance policy.

Just checking that they are able to charge this amount? Surely they have to have a breakdown of costs otherwise it is seen as a penalty?

Thanks

Edit: Just checked the policy documents and it does refer to the £250 charge as a Penalty.

http://imglnk.uk/img?i=oOoujV.jpg

Totally reasonable for insurers to include underwriting terms in the policy, particularly black box cover which charges based on driving stats.

If you are silly enough to let someone else drive your car which has a black box fitted, then you have to accept the consequences. Perhaps there is a process of notifying insurers in advance, if someone else will be driving the car. E.g if you booked a car into a garage for a service it would be driven by the mechanic.

Worth sending the Insurers a copy of the temporary insurance in the other persons name with a statement they were driving on the day in question and to ask the insurers to consider the matter. Whilst the insurers have right to charge the £250, they could out of discretion agree to waive it as a one off.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Are they allowed to call it a penalty? As far as I know only the police and government agencys can issue penaltys.

Also I thought it was illegal to have more than one policy on a car?

The policy does say that they will give a warning for the first time but this would be the first.

The black box is fitted under my colleagues policy, her boyfriend took another policy out for temp cover and drove the car excessively.

Are they allowed to call it a penalty? As far as I know only the police and government agencys can issue penaltys.

Also I thought it was illegal to have more than one policy on a car?

The policy does say that they will give a warning for the first time but this would be the first.

The black box is fitted under my colleagues policy, her boyfriend took another policy out for temp cover and drove the car excessively.

Yes they can call it a penalty. You are thinking of excessive charges on credit cards or excessive fees charged for administration on insurance. This is underwriting penalty and is detailed in the policy. If they want to question it, then they could go to the FOS. I am not keen on these black box policies, as they can become a nightmare, with resrictions on driving hours and insurers coming up with reasons to charge more, based on their opinion on the data.

You can have more than one policy, but cannot claim on both policies for the same loss event. The temporary policies are used by people to cover themselves whilst driving a car they may not own.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

He was going 90mph in a 70mph road. which is 29% over the limit, but the policy says they only record when going 50% over.

Anyway, she has managed to get them to agree to a warning and waiver the fee.

Thanks all.

He was going 90mph in a 70mph road. which is 29% over the limit, but the policy says they only record when going 50% over.

Anyway, she has managed to get them to agree to a warning and waiver the fee.

Thanks all.

Just remind that they should notify insurers when the car will be driven by someone else e.g garage while in for service, some long stay airport parking providers.

I have read about some garage staff and airport car parking staff using clients cars to drive around in clocking up miles, speeding and parking tickets.

• 4 weeks later...