Very - Unbelievably ridiculous

flexeh
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Just had a nice pleasant (not) phone call with Very after I noticed 3 late payment charges on my account. They are dated 11th April, 9th May and 29th August. I called them up and asked about them and was told that I had made my payments late by 1 day. The payments for each I made were 7th April, 2nd May and 22nd August, when it should have been 6th, 1st and 21st according to them.

I did explain a new bill had not been generated so I was on the same bill, and the auto courtesy message I "sometimes" get doesn’t always come to say payment due....

I asked what the £12 constitutes and they said admin fees, so I asked what "admin" fees have been done within 24 hours to justify £12 as I don’t think any has been done. The lady then said that a Letter is generated so that’s the admin fee. This letter is generated 7 days after the payment was made i.e.: 29th August. So why the admin fees afterwards when payment is received as that makes no sense, she then said it’s because the end of the statement happens.

Anyways I then notice that the "penalty" goes onto the total of account that your being charged interest on. So I asked her if I’m being charged interest on a penalty, she then tried swerving it saying you9 pay interest on the balance of the account. I then said ok hypothetically speaking if my account is £100 and £12 of that is penalty would I be charged interest on £88 or £100. She said whatever’s on your balance (again not committing to an answer).

I then queried if I’m 1 minute late paying so it then becomes the next day, would I still be charged £12 and she said yes. I then asked what if I sent my direct payment at 23:30 on the day of payment but the bank didn’t release until beyond 00:00, She said for them to get the payment in time then I would need to pay within banking hours and referred me to the T&C's. I stated threes no times on there for "Banking hours" and if I paid that day beyond "banking hours" if it didn’t come over in time, if I proved I paid it on the day would I still be liable for a charge and she said yes. When i picked her up on this she back peddled and said she didn’t say i would have to make my payment between banking hours for them to have it intime.

She delightfully informed me that I would have got late payment markers on my credit file. So not only are they charging me £12 plus interest they are also marking against me which is ridiculous (luckily credit file shows nothing so I’ve print screened should it randomly appear).

I know the terms say £12 if late, but 1 day is pretty bad and I know no admin would have been done to justify the fees. Just think it’s pretty bad to be honest, and wanted to see if there’s anything I can do. is being charged interest on a penalty fee correct? she just kept saying we work closely with the FCA and its all fine.

Cheers

Hi All,

Just had a nice pleasant (not) phone call with Very after I noticed 3 late payment charges on my account. They are dated 11th April, 9th May and 29th August. I called them up and asked about them and was told that I had made my payments late by 1 day. The payments for each I made were 7th April, 2nd May and 22nd August, when it should have been 6th, 1st and 21st according to them.

I did explain a new bill had not been generated so I was on the same bill, and the auto courtesy message I "sometimes" get doesn’t always come to say payment due....

I asked what the £12 constitutes and they said admin fees, so I asked what "admin" fees have been done within 24 hours to justify £12 as I don’t think any has been done. The lady then said that a Letter is generated so that’s the admin fee. This letter is generated 7 days after the payment was made i.e.: 29th August. So why the admin fees afterwards when payment is received as that makes no sense, she then said it’s because the end of the statement happens.

Anyways I then notice that the "penalty" goes onto the total of account that your being charged interest on. So I asked her if I’m being charged interest on a penalty, she then tried swerving it saying you9 pay interest on the balance of the account. I then said ok hypothetically speaking if my account is £100 and £12 of that is penalty would I be charged interest on £88 or £100. She said whatever’s on your balance (again not committing to an answer).

I then queried if I’m 1 minute late paying so it then becomes the next day, would I still be charged £12 and she said yes. I then asked what if I sent my direct payment at 23:30 on the day of payment but the bank didn’t release until beyond 00:00, She said for them to get the payment in time then I would need to pay within banking hours and referred me to the T&C's. I stated threes no times on there for "Banking hours" and if I paid that day beyond "banking hours" if it didn’t come over in time, if I proved I paid it on the day would I still be liable for a charge and she said yes. When i picked her up on this she back peddled and said she didn’t say i would have to make my payment between banking hours for them to have it intime.

She delightfully informed me that I would have got late payment markers on my credit file. So not only are they charging me £12 plus interest they are also marking against me which is ridiculous (luckily credit file shows nothing so I’ve print screened should it randomly appear).

I know the terms say £12 if late, but 1 day is pretty bad and I know no admin would have been done to justify the fees. Just think it’s pretty bad to be honest, and wanted to see if there’s anything I can do. is being charged interest on a penalty fee correct? she just kept saying we work closely with the FCA and its all fine.

Cheers

Send them a written complaint saying that you will seek to test this with the FOS if necessary. If there is a problem with the payment date, then you have a reasonable complaint. Also i don't think they should charge interest on a penalty fee that is disputed.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

unclebulgaria67. I dont think theres a issue as such with the payment date, its my fault im 1 day over, however a new statement hasnt been generated so dont see the issue being 1 day late as im on the current statement warrants the fees, if a new statement was generated then i understand then it should be classed as "late". I think the fees are unreasonable £12 when nothings actually been done by them, and then to make additional money off them with interest is ridiculous.

These are unlawful penalty charges and can be reclaimed along with interest charged on them.

To do so would prob require you to take them through the small claims procedure.

Its simple enough and there are people here that can help you.

Find the correct spread sheet from here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?330996-Latest-Spreadsheets-PPI-Claims-and-Charges-Claims-Dec-2011

Then add in the interest rate you are charged and the date and amounts for the penalty charges.

Once done come back with the figure and we can help you with the next step.

The time for phone calls btw are over. Its all to be done in writing now. IF they phone you you must say that you will only communicate in writing, as per your legal right to request.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Sorry only just read this SabreSheep - Had already chatted on the phone to them.

Just spoke to them again actually as i placed an order before noticing the charges - I'm keeping the order active though. Basically this phone i've ordered says "Delivery within 2 working days" which when ordered on Friday would mean delivered on Tuesday. However the email they sent me advises delivery by 9/915 which is Wednesday.

I phoned and asked if it comes on Wednesday am i entitled to £12 late fee like they are charging me. She said no as they take no responsibility for delivery as many factors can influence the delivery and they do say this in their terms they accept no liability. I did say then the wording on the page contradicts the terms and conditions and ive been charged £12 for being 1 day late why shouldn't you and if they don't want to commit then they should use "Estimated Delivery within 2 working days". She just said if i have issues with late payments then contact the "Customer Excellence Team". She then tried to empathise with me saying, that if the 28 day window caught me out it catches alot out even employees of very as they have accounts, and if they are late they will also be charged.

4.2 Whilst we make every effort to deliver goods on the day we specify, we cannot guarantee delivery on that day or accept liability for deliveries made outside this timescale. This also applies to products sent direct from our manufacturers. We cannot accept liability for out of pocket expenses or other costs incurred due to failed or delayed deliveries.