Garage constantly flooding - Landlords or my responsibilty?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I've lived in my house for 4+ years now but for the past 10 months or so, every time we have torrential rain, the garage, which is at the bottom of a slight slop, floods up to 5 inches deep.

We've had loads of stuff ruined, as like many people use the garage to store the usual garden paraphernalia along with freezers, the tumble dryer, kids bikes, tools etc.

It looks like the storm drain just outside the door isn't up to the job and when I spoke to my LL before he didn't show any interest.

Is this our or his responsibility for the garage flooding? It doesn't state anywhere in our tenancy contract about flood risks to any part of the property.

Thanks

Lisa

Sounds like the drain outside the garage is blocked.

I take it that you have contents insurance for your own belongings? it's something you should claim for.

Do you know whether the storm drains in your area are soakaways, or connected to main drains? If the latter, the water/drainage company may be able to clear.

It may be one of those things which are the responsibility of the tenant - like sweeping the chimney or replacing lightbulbs. Somebody with more knowledge of the law may be able to tell you.

Alternatively, if it turns out that this is the landlord's responsibility, I hope you've written him several letters about the problem. You have your landlord's actual address for correspondence, I take it. He may very well be insured for flood damage to his property.

• 9 months later...

Hi

Hope someone can offer some advice regarding my LL and the poor roofing work that he's carrying out.

Long story short, we've lived in our house for 5+ years and there's always been a problem with squirrels getting in the loft causing devastation and the garage roof having quite a bad leak. We've reported this on numerous occasions over the years but nothing has ever been done.

About 6 months ago really bad black mould was developing on my sons bedroom ceiling and also on the bathroom ceiling so we reported this to the LL.

Again we were fobbed off with being told either they couldn't find a roofer to come round (yeah right!) or a roofer was coming round on such-and-such a date and nobody would ever show up!

A few weeks ago LL turned up to say his brother-in-law, who claims to be a roofer, was going to come and replace the entire roof. Yippee I thought, at last, and a few weeks ago the scaffolders turned up and the roofer was due to start a week later.

Anyway this bloke turned up on his own and started on the garage and instantly alarm bells start ringing that he was not a bona fide roofer.

He took all the tiles off and proceeded to smash all the dirt off them all over our things in the garage, literally everything was slaughtered in thick dirt and loads of stuff has been ruined. I was so angry as I had no idea he was going to do this and didn't even warn us of the mess he was going to make. The LL turned up later and I complained to him and all he said was "yeah it does make a mess"! What about all our things that have been f***ing ruined! Grrrr!

Anyway after three days he announced the garage roof was done and it's actually worse than when he started.

There's a 6" hole been left where a tile is missing, he lifted some tiles from the neighbouring garage roof as well and replaced those really badly, there's roof liner hanging down the outside wall, he clearly hasn't a clue what he's doing.

He turned up on Saturday to make a start on the main roof and my husband basically challenged him and his competence which led to a bit of a row. The LL turned up and he's admitted he's not an actual roofer, has no insurance to pay for all the damage he's done to our things and basically blamed us for moaning about the roof in the first place.

Surely when it comes to doing major structural work to a property the LL has to use professionals as the consequences of getting wrong could be fairly devastating and even be a danger to my family so can I refuse to allow him to carry this work out?

Thanks

Lisa

The landlord can do what he wants as far as who he employes but ultimately of the job is substandard you still have recourse to getting it done properly. You also have a claim against LL for the cowboy's damage and so what if he doesnt have insurance, he will have to pay up out of his own pocket, wont he?

Just be aware that when you sue the LL you may well get a notice to quit so photograogh the damage and keep any bills associated in putting things right to your stuff and hit him with it at the end of your tenancy if you leave any time soon ( you have 6 years to start legal action)

• 3 years later...

Hi

My garage door (up and over) is old and knackered and came off the runners, broke where the cable attaches and got stuck in an open/half hanging way about 4 weeks ago.

I text my LL twice and got no response so I emailed him along with his wife moaning about it being ignored and the fact it's full of our things such as bikes, tools, two freezers full of food and anyone can just walk in and take what they like and that as the back door from the garage to the garden was also broke an couldn't be secured, everything in my garden was also open to theft. This prompted a response and she got back to me.

It then took almost a week to get someone out to manage to close it, not fix it though, but I pointed out this wasn't just to be left as I have loads of possessions in there and the kids can't access there bikes or scooters it was still urgent.

This was about 10 days ago and not heard anything else from my LL's and a few days ago the door started to cave in again, so I've now text her twice and tried to call but had no response.

The high winds today are pushing it to the point where it's going to collapse and quite frankly I'm pi**ed off as it's now leaving all my possessions open to theft, insurance is invalid as they're not secured and still no answers from my LL.

I've emailed them to advise if I don't hear from them within 48 hours I will get someone round to either repair or replace the door myself and then bill them for the costs.

Am I within my rights to do this as I'm at a loss what else to do.

Thanks

Lisa

I think you are completely within your rights to do this. I think is extremely reasonable. I think that you should get the repair work independently assessed by two repairers. Then send both of the written quotations to your landlord by recorded delivery and tell him that because of the risk to your property and also because the damage is getting worse you will put the work in hand with the cheapest of the repairers in seven days and then send him the bill.

Then if you don't get any reply, put the work in hand, pay for it and then send the bill to your landlord – and then follow up with a letter of claim if he doesn't pay within seven days.

However, I'm sure it won't come as any surprise to you when I warn you that if your landlord is the slightest bit vindictive, that he may then make moves to evict you by way of revenge.

It's a nasty situation to be in – but yes you are well within your rights but do it carefully, make sure that everything is completely above board and transparent and that your landlord is informed every step of the way. However, you should certainly act assertively because if your landlord senses that you are unsure of yourself, you may well find that you will be simply played along.