Garage constantly flooding - Landlords or my responsibilty?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2291 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I've lived in my house for 4+ years now but for the past 10 months or so, every time we have torrential rain, the garage, which is at the bottom of a slight slop, floods up to 5 inches deep.

We've had loads of stuff ruined, as like many people use the garage to store the usual garden paraphernalia along with freezers, the tumble dryer, kids bikes, tools etc.

It looks like the storm drain just outside the door isn't up to the job and when I spoke to my LL before he didn't show any interest.

Is this our or his responsibility for the garage flooding? It doesn't state anywhere in our tenancy contract about flood risks to any part of the property.

Thanks

Lisa

Sounds like the drain outside the garage is blocked.

I take it that you have contents insurance for your own belongings? it's something you should claim for.

Do you know whether the storm drains in your area are soakaways, or connected to main drains? If the latter, the water/drainage company may be able to clear.

It may be one of those things which are the responsibility of the tenant - like sweeping the chimney or replacing lightbulbs. Somebody with more knowledge of the law may be able to tell you.

Alternatively, if it turns out that this is the landlord's responsibility, I hope you've written him several letters about the problem. You have your landlord's actual address for correspondence, I take it. He may very well be insured for flood damage to his property.