Non fault accident, total disaster - Hastings Direct

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Through no fault of my own a lorry drove into me on a roundabout tearing off half my back bumper, the asssesor came round and stated that considering the age of my peugeot 206 it would most likely be irrepairable, yet i know the only thing wrong with the car is the damage caused by the accident as have spent time and money making it a decent car. I was shocked when ringing up hastings to hear that when the report from the assessor does come back and if it is deemed a right off i will be offered money for the value of my car but not be allowed the car back? In no writing in the policy does it say this, i also asked if id be allowed the money for repairs from the market value-scrap value (cash in lieu) and was told this was also not an option! What is the point in insurance when the only money i can get is by letting them take my car away or voiding the claim totally, recovering my car and paying for my own repairs even though the accident was entirely not my fault!

James

Yes that is what they try to do these days. Write off older cars, even if you could get a cheaper repair done. They just don,t want the hassle of the repairs, as once a garage start to do the work, they may find other work that needs doing and the claim could exceed the write off value, once they have taken into account the salvage value.

You would have to prove that you could get a cheaper repair done, than it would cost Hastings to deal with the write off. If the car is drive able, see if you can get it looked at by a local garage on a ramp to see what work needs doing. Then you can judge the situation.

Unless you make the case for a cheaper repair you can sort out, then Hastings may want to proceed with the write off.

You could get a garage estimate of the repair and negotiate a settlement with lorry insurers. You may find this easier than dealing with Hastings, as third party Insurers may be keen on achieving a cheaper settlement for them, than what Hastings might ask them for.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks Joe have emailed you the details, as stated am waiting to hear on many things at the moment but after ringing up customer services and being told that if it is a write i will have to void the claim to keep my car / find my own garage that fixes the car for less than 60% the value, i wasnt too impressed. I will wait to hear if it is considered a write off before heading down to local garages and checking the costs they want to fix my car. If i do get another estimate from another garage do i just ring back up the customer service term with the amount they stated unclebulgaria67 ?

James

Hastings will want estimate in writing stating what needs to be done and the cost.

If I were you I would get a garage to have a look before Hastings decide it is a write off. As I have said the third parties insurers are another option open to you if they are willing to deal with you directly.

Do some research into what other people have experienced and quite a lot say they have found it easier in this situation to be proactive. E.g estimate from own garage, see if third party insurers would be interested in dealing directly, obtain as much info on the cars market value as you can, just in case it is definitely a write off.

You can check the market value in guides such as glass.co.uk, also look in auto trader, local free ads. Obtain as much info as possible, as insurers will try with a low offer, which you can reject and look to negotiate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Well just heard they have deemed it a right off and have said the market value is £677 not sure how it can be a write off when you can buy a new bumper for £40 odd and im pretty sure i could fit it myself. I will try and get to a garage asap, have been busy today but am wondering how some people managed to keep their vehicle and get the money left over from the valuation after its scrap value? As that is what would best suit me

James

Whats best is, its been deemed a cat c? Thankfully it wasnt taken away as ive been driving it and its totally fine? The damage is all totally cosmetic, my rear bumper was split basically. Is there anything i need to do? Or is it still road legal, as ive read humdreds of forums that say the mot is still valid yet a VIC will be placed on my car yet i still have the V5 document? All in all its been a total disaster, clearly its only worth claiming if you have a high valued car as otherwise you get into huge horrible ruts that you dont know how to get over...

Insurance companies dont care about repairing your car they just want to find the cheapest way out as possible and in this case they have as all they've done is cause me misery

Whats best is, its been deemed a cat c? Thankfully it wasnt taken away as ive been driving it and its totally fine? The damage is all totally cosmetic, my rear bumper was split basically. Is there anything i need to do? Or is it still road legal, as ive read humdreds of forums that say the mot is still valid yet a VIC will be placed on my car yet i still have the V5 document? All in all its been a total disaster, clearly its only worth claiming if you have a high valued car as otherwise you get into huge horrible ruts that you dont know how to get over...

Insurance companies dont care about repairing your car they just want to find the cheapest way out as possible and in this case they have as all they've done is cause me misery

It is easier than you think to resolve. Get the car looked at to see what damage there is. If it is only a bumper, if you get it repaired.replaced, then it would not cost much. On an old car, I repaired a split bumper and drove it around for years. If you need to replace, you can source a replacement from a scrap yard quite cheaply. If you want an easier route, get an estimate from a local garage and see whether the third parties insurers will pay. If it less than the write off value, then they may be happy to do so.

Hastings won't register write off, if you are keeping the car to sort out a minor repair yourself. Remember that under a comp policy with the excess for damage to own car which you have to claim back from the third parties insurers, it is a hassle for your insurers to deal with a small claim as minor damage often means a write off. This is because garages will charge them quite a lot more than a repair you might be able to arrange.

It seems a little unclear to me who you are dealing with James. HD? or Albany on HD's behalf?

From the other folks experiences with no fault accidents under HD (managed by Albany) reported here and elsewhere, it would seem it *might* be worth your contacting the other parties insurance directly and considering dropping Hastings/Albany out of the picture as much as possible if the contact goes well.

I know that you are probably like me and think that when you pay for fully comp insurance you shouldn't have to deal with this sort of crap, but it would seem with HD a personal approach to the other insurer should be considered.

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

Toby

Because Insurers have outsourced claims services to reduce costs, it is not as easy in some situations to make a claim, as it was in the past. You really have to make a few phone calls to find out the best way forward. As you agree, sometimes dealing directly with an at fault third parties Insurers can be easiest, if they are willing to deal direct.

Toby

Because Insurers have outsourced claims services to reduce costs, it is not as easy in some situations to make a claim, as it was in the past. You really have to make a few phone calls to find out the best way forward. As you agree, sometimes dealing directly with an at fault third parties Insurers can be easiest, if they are willing to deal direct.

As I am starting to realise. :(

If it wasn't for the fact that fully comp is only a few quid more than third party for me I wouldn't bother with what i have seen happen here.

Mind you, the one claim I have had in the last 20 years was a major disappointment.

It got AA insurance added to my very short 'never use these bar-stewards again' list.

Its likely I was living in blissful ignorance of what would really happen. A sucker to the sales spiels.

:(((

Mind you if I had had more accidents, the list would likely be longer it would seem.

add addendum

unclebulgaria67

Is there a list of companies who do 'do it the old way' internally without selling you to companies like Albany who reportedly mainly muck you about to increase the costs and profit?

Edited by tobyjugg2
added a bit

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs