Just had PIP assessment at home - Couple of questions...

DMG123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have just said goodbye to the lady that completed my PIP assessment.

I have a diagnosed anxiety/panic disorder and Dysphagia which is a swallowing disorder.

One question that threw me a bit, I do not leave the house unless absolutely necessary, and if I do, its with my mum in her car. I never go out alone, and will always have my mum or brother with me, so I am always with someone and I made this clear. I also made it clear that I do not walk anywhere, because I don't, it's not something I can deal with being on my own etc.

The lady asked me if I could give my mum directions to the local shop if we were together in her car (5 streets away - lived here all my life etc) so I said yes, because I have gone to those shops all of my life and they are just up the road.

I haven't seen that question come up at all anywhere on the internet, and since I would be with my mum in the car, so aided by her, I do not understand her asking it? It shows I can plan a familiar journey I guess, but I would still have to be with my mum and in her car to do it, so that question doesn't come up on any self assessment forms online. Would anyone know why she has asked this and what affect its going to have?

As she left she told me there is an appeals process, so I am not hopeful, but I guess I will just have to sit it out and wait for the zero point decision letter coming to a doormat near me soon and take it from there.

I recorded the assessment on my phone and its a good recording so I am going to type it up ready for me in case I need to appeal, I know I can't officially use it but just good to have for my own notes.

I recorded the assessment on my phone and its a good recording so I am going to type it up ready for me in case I need to appeal, I know I can't officially use it but just good to have for my own notes.

Can't comment on the assessment or offer any predictions on the result, but fingers crossed.

As far as the recording is concerned, a recommendation: Download it to your computer if you can, and burn a couple of copies to CD. It is always a good idea to have a backup copy of any important files just in case the phone gets broken, lost or wiped.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thanks Mr.P

I have just plugged my phone into my laptop and its synchronised with itunes so have it on my phone and laptop.

I think I need to convert it or something to burn it, but I will be doing so.

I feel it went ok, but to be fair I felt my last ATOS assessment went ok, and I got zero points, but put into the support group on reconsideration so will

have to wait it out and take it from there.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, the lady was early 30's and was as nice as the could be under the circumstances.

I am hoping for a positive outcome, but will have to wait and see I guess.

From sending my PIP application form in to getting an appointment took 2 weeks so really on the ball in my area.

I did have a letter in-between from them, saying it could take 12 - 16 weeks, then had the appointment letter days later. This did concern me to be honest.

I did send a thorough letter from my Doctor and Psychiatrist explaining my situation regarding my health, with my application, and she did mention that they had those 2 letters.

I sadly am completely dependent on my mum for lots of things at the minute, which makes me feel ridiculous, but its just the way it is.

I told her I am awaiting CBT which I am sure will help me, its just such a long wait in my area and could be a year or two before anything happens on that front.

I am now worrying about it, even though I know I can challenge it, should I need to. I just wish it wasn't so hard all the time. I understand the reasons for it being so hard, but that

doesn't make me feel any better at the minute, though I'm sure I will be ok after a couple of days.

There is a descriptor regarding whether the person can plan the route of a journey, so the question is related to this.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

There is a descriptor regarding whether the person can plan the route of a journey, so the question is related to this.

Hi, yes I have seen that descriptor, but in my opinion, the descriptor relating to needing to be accompanied by someone is what fits my situation. I'm pretty sure the planning a route of a journey relates to doing it alone? If so, she couldn't apply that to me as her question was - when in the car, with my mother, can I direct her to the local shop 5 streets away. I may be wrong obviously and I will check on that.

Hi, yes I have seen that descriptor, but in my opinion, the descriptor relating to needing to be accompanied by someone is what fits my situation. I'm pretty sure the planning a route of a journey relates to doing it alone? If so, she couldn't apply that to me as her question was - when in the car, with my mother, can I direct her to the local shop 5 streets away. I may be wrong obviously and I will check on that.

Sorry to keep quoting, it's my phone doing it.

The descriptor States - a. Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided. 0 points.

This isn't what she asked me, which is why I am confused. She said, whilst in the car with your mother, can you direct her to the shops. It's different isn't it?

It seems to me that she has chosen to use the word 'unaided' in a different manner.

The descriptor she is going to award is the (a) as stated above, whereas (f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12 points.) should be used surely? I assume in this descriptor that 'follow the route' means actually go to the place, and with another person.

I was awarded this descriptor for my ATOS assessment (eventually), due to the fact I do not go out on my own,

Edited by DMG123
Added info...

Ok thanks for that.

Im going to stop second guessing and just wait and hope the assessor listened and understood, then go from there.

As an aside, is there a reason for them asking about suicidal thoughts? I mean, if you say yes to them, they wouldn't actually do anything so I can't see the point in it.

I have also had my PIP home visit today. You can get points if you can not plan a complex journey unaided.

As for recording, I used an ap on my ipad then copied it to my mac and uploaded it to the cloud , I am just now converting it to mp3 to save on an old laptop I have.

I think its a fine line, I can visit people with familiar routes such as my partner and my Mum by myself BUT always use diversons to keep my anxiety down..ipod and tablet ( I know I am lucky to have these gizmos ) I do not go to unfamiliar places alone so technically I should get 10 points but I don't see that happening

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

To be honest Fletch Im not expecting good news, but although I am rubbish face to face explaining things, I did it well on my application, and I can do it well if I need to appeal as I am pretty good writing chapter and verse.

My parents bought me an iPhone 6 for Christmas so I used the memo recorder on that and it has come out pretty well, all of the conversation is clear. We can't use it though can we?

I have had atos assessments in the past and both of the ladies I saw were absolutely awful, pretty much making it clear they didnt believe me, but thankfully the DWP thought different and overrode the reports they were sent, hence my thinking the worst today. I will just expect the worst and if anything above that happens then I will consider myself lucky.

What I do not agree with is the fact they can basically choose to ignore a great letter from my doctor, and a good letter from the psychiatrist. These 2 people knowing me and my issues very well. This does annoy me greatly.

Oh sorry, mine was with Capita this time also, the girl was pretty decent and polite which was a surprise, but I guess as it was in my house they tend to be not as rude as they can be in assessment centres. If she had been she would have flown out of the door on the end of my foot :) Good luck to you, and me!!

• 2 weeks later...

Little update - Good news.

I have just had my letter, and after 20 minutes of worrying I opened it.

I have been awarded enhanced rate for care (17 points) and standard rate for mobility (10 points)

It seems the lady from Capita did listen, and wrote down the actual responses that I gave.

I am very grateful, and so relieved its over.

Its a limited award for 3 years due to awaiting CBT etc, but I am more than happy.

Gives a little bit of hope that maybe Capita are a little better than ATOS.

I think what served me well was a very thorough letter from my doctor, and a good letter from my psychiatrist.

I hope everyone else currently waiting will get the same good news.

Congratulations!

If you receive any income based benefits, you need to inform them. You may now get more benefits. If you receive working tax credits, you're now entitled to a disability premium. Someone may now (depending on their situation) be entitled to claim carers allowance for you.

Little update - Good news.

I have just had my letter, and after 20 minutes of worrying I opened it.

I have been awarded enhanced rate for care (17 points) and standard rate for mobility (10 points)

It seems the lady from Capita did listen, and wrote down the actual responses that I gave.

I am very grateful, and so relieved its over.

Its a limited award for 3 years due to awaiting CBT etc, but I am more than happy.

Gives a little bit of hope that maybe Capita are a little better than ATOS.

I think what served me well was a very thorough letter from my doctor, and a good letter from my psychiatrist.

I hope everyone else currently waiting will get the same good news.

Great news. I think we had ours on the same day. I am still waiting. Wish me luck

Oh Fletch, I really hope its good news for you. I was confident mine would be bad news due to my experiences with Atos in the past, which were pretty awful due to the assessors,

but thankfully this lady did seem to take notice. She even sympathised and said it must be very distressing having a swallowing disorder, but I just assumed it was pretend sympathy.

I do count myself lucky, even though I was only ever honest with them, I just assume that isn't enough some times but they have proved me wrong, and it now gives a bit of breathing space

to sort myself out.

I will keep an eye out for your news, and keep my fingers crossed for you!!

I may be paranoid but when i called yesterday he asked me to hold a minute them just came back with the 'we received the report in 10th it can take 6 to 8 weeks' From experience i suspect a letter is in the post.

I think I went from initial letter telling me I need to apply, to decision within 8 weeks, which astounded me as I had read a lot about delays, but there are none around here.

As you know there are plenty of places that can help, if help is needed to take things further, but hopefully it will be good news.

3 bloody points. I have asked for a consideration.

Even the lady on the phone agreed with me that having my sister drip feed me money because of a recorded gambling problem would account for something but they scored me 0 for that

3 points is ridiculous, I am sorry Fletch, it seems to very much depend on who you see and what opinions they form themselves rather than what problems you may actually have.

Just get some help now if you can, I would never go it alone as getting advice shows them you are serious about taking it further.