• Tweets

• 2 foot of sea level rise   The Thwaites Glacier — dubbed the “Doomsday” glacier because of the grave impacts for global sea level rise if it melts — is breaking down “much faster” than expected, according to a peer-reviewed study published on Monday in the academic journal, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Using satellite imagery, scientists determined that widespread contact between the glacier and warm ocean water is speeding up the melting process. The climate crisis is interrupting natural processes across large parts of the continent, according to the Antarctic and Southern Ocean Coalition. The glacier, roughly the size of the United Kingdom, could cause global sea levels to rise more than two feet if it melts completely, according to the study. “Thwaites is the most unstable place in the Antarctic and contains the equivalent of 60 centimeters of sea level rise,” study co-author Christine Dow said in a statement. “The worry is that we are underestimating the speed that the glacier is changing, which would be devastating for coastal communities around the world,” she continued. Read the full story here.       or here ... from the India civil service currents affairs exam Doomsday glacier Antarctica‘s Thwaites Glacier, roughly the size of Britain, is a fast-moving glacier in West Antarctica. Because of the risk it faces — and poses — Thwaites is often called the Doomsday Glacier. Because of its size (1.9 lakh square km), it contains enough water to raise the sea level by more than half a metre. Thwaites’s melting already contributes 4% to global sea level rise each year. Thwaites are important for Antarctica as it slows the ice behind it from freely flowing into the ocean. Credits: BBC Vigorous melting Salty and relatively warm ocean water is infiltrating beneath Thwaites Glacier, leading to significantly speedy melting. This process, termed as “vigorous melting“, is eroding its stability. However, its potential collapse could lead to a staggering 10-foot rise in sea levels, posing a dire threat to coastal communities worldwide. Previous studies discovered a deep connection to the east through which deep water flows from Pine Island Bay. That study also attributed the melting to the heat transport caused by channels bringing warm water towards the glacier from the north. With melting, glaciers become light and float off the land where they used to be situated. The resulting retreating grounding line exposes more of a glacier’s base to seawater, increasing the risk of melting. Since the late 1990s, the glacier has seen a 14km retreat of its “grounding line.” The grounding line is the point where the ice flowing off the land and along the seabed floats up to form a huge platform.   https://www.pmfias.com/current-affairs-for-upsc-civil-services-exam-may-28-2024/   or here Satellite data reveals Antarctica's Thwaites Glacier is melting faster than we thought | Space WWW.SPACE.COM Seawater rushing miles beneath the glacier makes the ice more vulnerable to melting.  
    • I have notified all parties and will start a new thread.
    • The messaging app's boss has taken to social media to deny Mr Musk's claim it "exports user data."View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Son picked up girlfriends discounted oyster by mistake

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My 19 year old son and his girlfriend accidently picked up eachothers oyster cards the other morning.

My son was checked by the bus inspector on his way to work and was shocked that he actually had his girlfriends discounted college oyster instead of his own.

The bus inspector obviously confiscated the oyster, took his and his girlfriends name and address and issued him with a one day travel card so he could still get to work and back.

My sons girlfriend got in touch with TFL to explain the situation again

and that it was a genuine mistake on their parts as they have the same wallet with their oysters in

yesterday my son received a letter in the post asking for proof of his travel (His oyster card number) but if he has a pay as you go, this wouldnt count!

He has a pay as you go oyster and has never registered it online so this will be of no use and to be honest, I dont see the relevance!

He was up all night worrying that he will be prosecuted through a silly mistake and has tried to call TFL on countless occasions

today during his breaks and lunchtime but to no avail as there is no answer from .......

He did speak to someone on a different number but they said his case number is not down for a penalty fine just a prosecution!

He works in banking and is extremely worried that he will end up with a criminal record and ruin his future.

He did email the investigator/prosecutor yesterday explaining the mistake

and that he is more than willing to pay a penalty fine but has heard nothing back as of yet.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

He has a pay as you go oyster and has never registered it online so this will be of no use and to be honest, I dont see the relevance!

I wonder if they asked this as a discounted card normally has a special wallet, as I understand it. What type of card does the GF have please, a student one?

We would usually suggest waiting for a letter from TfL, although I can see why your son is worried and trying to deal with this early. Often if people ring up, the papers can't be found because a case reference number hasn't been created. Once the letter arrives, you'll know what rule they think your son has broken and we can help you both to draft a reply. He will have to send this himself though.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi again Honeybee13,

He received a letter yesterday just asking for travel tickets for his oyster which you dont get anyway!

The letter does not state anything about a fine or prosecution but He was given a case ref today but the telephone number

that we have both been trying to call just goes straight to voicemail.

The person he spoke with today said that it is going to prosecution!

He is willing to pay a fine or penalty whatever but he cant get through to anyone.

He is really worried and so am I! He cant call anymore today as he is working.

I am working too but on reception so its a lot easier for me to contact them.

Any advice would be much appreciated, Hes not usually a fare evader. It was a genuine mistake.

It was a student 16+ Zip oyster but they both have the same wallets from IKEA so you can see the error in picking the wrong ones up.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

Hello again.

I've edited some paragraphs into your posts to make them easier to read for the advisers here.

It's hard to know what to suggest he should do before TfL have written to say what they plan to do. Does he still have the pay as you go Oyster from the day this happened? Although they say it doesn't count, it would prove good faith.

The identical wallets thing is tricky, because we hear it all the time and I imagine the train companies do. I would suggest that one of them uses a different wallet, also that he registers his Oyster card online. I know it's too late this time, but at least it would avoid future problems.

I hope some of our forum members from the transport industry will be along later.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

He will register his card online tonight and has changed the wallet that its in so that will help them in the future to identify their own oysters.He still has his own oyster (his girlfriend had his on that day while he had hers) Hers was confiscated and not returned as it ran out 2 days after it was taken anyway as she turned 18.I dont understand why they would ask for a paper ticket for his oyster but not a pay as you go oyster...I thought they were all pay as you go. I know mine is!

Unfortunately there is little that your son can do except write in response to the letter that he has received.

He will need to give a full and truthful response, explaining exactly what happened, bearing in mind whatever he told the inspector when he was questioned will already be in the report with TfL. He should explain how the mistake came to be made and can provide the number from his own Oyster to support his response. That is on the back of the card and should be given in full.

If there was insufficient credit on his PAYG card at that time to cover the journey that he intended to make, this will not look good, but otherwise can help evidence his explanation.

Your son should do this himself. As he is over 18, unless you are a qualified lawyer and formally representing your son, the prosecutor's office should not respond to, nor discuss specifics with you.

No problem HB, hope it helps

To the OP, the thing I would have to add is that from TfL viewpoint, if he knew that he had got his girlfriend's Oyster and not his own, your son should not have used it, but should have bought a ticket.

It was OK for his girlfriend to use his unregistered PAYG Oyster because these can be shared

Thanks for your advice. This is what my son is planning to do anyway.

He did explain to the inspector that he had picked up the wrong card as he didn't even know himself until IT was scanned.

Hopefully someone at TFL will understand this was not intentional and a one off mistake and just accept a penalty fine.

He is worrying himself sick over this as he does not want a criminal record for such a silly error.

The person he spoke with today said that it is going to prosecution!

So another accidental slip is being turned into a major criminal action.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?440749-Passenger-Focus-quot-Dont-treat-us-like-criminals-quot-(1-Viewing)-nbsp

Is it just me or is their a problem with these cards. We have at least one case per week of using somebodys else card by mistake , dont you think haveing a photo of the user printed on the card would stop the problems before they started?

It would solve the problem by having a photo on the oyster card but they both had their card in identical holders. That's where the mistake was made. He picked hers up instead of his own without checking.

If it's not passed too much time you could get your son's oyster printout showing that it was used the same morning by his girlfriend.

So, while your son got a free bus ride, his girlfriend paid full price.

No loss to TfL really, but unfortunately the oyster was not registered at the time of the offence and could belong to anyone.

At TfL they can check the oyster history going back a couple of months, so if they want they could check that your son is usually a full paying customer.

As said by other caggers this "excuse" is widespread and it's very difficult for tfl to identify the very few real cases.

Gain same evidence as described and send it to TfL, maybe a good prosecutor will look at the case and realise that it's a genuine mistake.