No tenancy agreement - Landlord refusing to pay back deposit

slotemy83
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3375 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, as the title suggests, i would like some advice on the issue?

I moved into a private rented property 18months ago on a verbal agreement that I would live there for 3 years minimum.

Due to work circumstances i was unable to fulfil this agreement. And have now moved out.

Because I have had to move the Landlord is now refusing to pay back my deposit because it is before the verbally agreed 3 years!

may i also add that I have not received or signed a written tenancy agreement.

and i also strongly doubt that my deposit was registered with a tenancy deposit plan.

Do I have any leg to stand on to get my deposit back? Is he breaking the law? Is it worth taking it further legally?

Thanks

do you have any proof a deposit was paid?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Well herein lies a problem.

To get it back, you would have to issue a small claims against the ll

Problem is you would have to prove that you paid the LL money which was to be used as a deposit for the tenancy

The lack of paperwork significantly weakens your hand

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Hi

Agree with SabreSheep

Now did you pay Council Tax if yes did you fill the forms in yourself and when you moved out inform the council tax office?

Have you checked with the Council (As Councils not all now require Landlords to be registered with them) if your Landlord is required to be registered with them and if yes are they registered?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group