• Tweets

• Thank you for the letter, that makes things a lot clearer. So it's a statutory demand rather than self-certifying. See what @Man in the middle thinks but to me, it seems as if the lawyer has a good strategy and seems to have covered all the bases. HB  
    • Could you post up the letter, with your personal info and their reference covered up, please? It should say Letter of Claim, but let's have a look just in case. HB
    • I know dx, a lot of it was my partner and how she felt about it. I also appear to be addicted to my credit file being clean. I still worry for my partner she has too much on as it is, but I am ensuring I manage both of ours so She can forget about. i guess in terms of time I bet masses are defaulting with this economy as it is right now and high interest rates might be the only thing going for me right now. I guess  I’ll find out
    • Please see below for an extract from the letter more about my case. You have been convicted of two matters of failing to give driver details linked to two speeding offences and been disqualified in your absence. You confirmed that you did not receive the court documentation and the first you knew about the cases was on 3/6/24. As you can make a statutory declaration it is possible that we will be able to persuade the police to accept pleas to either or both of the speeding offences as they were committed within a very short space of time and withdraw the two fail to give driver details offences as normally if you plead to one or other of the speeding or fail to give driver details the prosecution will withdraw the other related offence. If successful you would not face a totting ban. In respect of the speeding offences, it could be argued they were committed on one occasion due to the proximity of the time and location and we may be able to persuade the prosecution to drop one of the speeding offences. You are technically guilty of all the offences because you accept it was you driving when the speeding offences were committed and that you did not update your change of address with the leasing company when it was your responsibility. If the prosecution will not withdraw the two failures to give driver details offences, you will face a totting ban but will be able to put forward an exceptional hardship argument. This  may or may not go ahead at the court hearing date, so we need to prepare for all eventualities. As a safeguard we have lodged the appeal and applied to suspend your ban pending appeal due to the time limit for being able to automatically appeal without getting leave of the Judge. The court have dealt with the matter very quickly and have actually listed your matter for an application to suspend the disqualification pending appeal on the above-mentioned date. We could actually use this date to make the statutory declaration in court having explained the situation to the magistrates and then see if the prosecution will agree to accept pleas to one or both of the speeding offences as a way of resolving the matter without the need for you to put forward an exceptional hardship argument. It is possible the case would need to be adjourned so that we can make those representations, or the court may want to go ahead and hear the exceptional hardship argument. The outcome of your case is always at the discretion of the Court.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cabot/restons Claimform - old Halifax Credit Card 'debt'

joel.hall
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3432 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hey ive just joined, came across this on a google search. im having problems with triton too, as it happens theyve phoned me today.

they sent a letter a few weeks ago regarding my natwest credit card. this debt had been frozen for one year as i became ill

, and lost my job. now its active again, and triton are demanding the full balance.

i offered ten pounds a month (im on benefits and have agreements for this amount with three other debt collection agencies).

t hey set this up, then called a few days later, telling me that they couldnt accept the offer,

and demanded either the full amount or 50 a month as the debt 'has' to be cleared in 6 months or they go to court.

i told them to jump frankly. then called the debt helpline.

they agreed with me - if i dont have it the court cant get it. i live with my parents, have no savings, no assets, etc.

another note is i had insurance on my cards and loan, to cover all of them (alledgedly) -

in fact three lots of insurance each covering all my debts. needless to say they refused to pay out.

i next phoned natwest credit card services, to ask the bank to stop sending threatening letters

(the tone of these triton letters and the people on the phone is not exactly 'good customer service').

the conversation went like this:

bank: 'its now been handed to a... triton credit services'

me: 'no im afraid you dont understand, triton credit services is the royal bank of scotland'

bank: 'um... oh yes i am sorry they are employed by us'

me: 'no i think you misunderstand, triton is the royal bank of scotland'

then she tried to talk her way round it (unsuccessfully) and i think she was quite relieved to get this awkward customer off the phone.

all went quiet, until today (theyve been ringing the mobile now).

ive just been told triton have just been instructed by rbs to collect me credit card debt, a

nd could i pay off the balance. seemed surprised when i said no.

then asked how much i could afford. '£10' i said.

next came the usual stupid question i get

'are there any friends or family who could give or loan you the money?'

needless to say other people are hardly going to pay my debts for me.

after i said no i got the reply 'well we will now have to hand this to the court for legal, blah, blah, expect in 7 days to reeieve a letter....'

at that point i said ok in my most cheerful voice and hung up.

my health condition has worsened due to this.

i have no idea where either of us (the bank and i) stand legally on this thing,

and could really do with advice. the cab is impossible to get hold of and im pretty much housebound anyway.

im perfectly prepared to pay what i can afford, but wont be bullied or take any nonsence from these idiots.

besides, my health is suffering again, and quite frankly it does cause me to over-react

(sometimes to the point of losing my temper with them in a big way).

i noticed , something about a letter.

what is the purpose and possible outcome of this letter a

nd how do i follow it up?

exactly how does the rbs get away with these sort of tactics?

sorry for the rant,

joel

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok ive got quite a few debts, though several of these are with debt collection agencies, who have allowed for a reasonable repayment plan.

however, the nat west is being extremely unreasonable in their demands and tactics, and im not too boned up on the law here, so could do with some advice.

first debt is the credit card. this is not a large debt - around £400 - and dealt with by triton. ive sent triton letter n (requesting a copy of the cca), and am waiting for a reply.

the second debt involves a personal (unsecured) loan and overdraft of around £9000, dealt with by regal.

ive been contacted by phone, and called back which resulted in a blazing row. needless to say they tried every trick in the book.

personal circumstaces are i am claiming income support for sick, have been for three years nearly now. i own no property, have no savings, and live with parents (who are not too pleased about these companies ringing constantly).

what id like to know is:

1. what are the possible outcomes of my cca request?

2. what is the next course of action if they do not comply?

3. ive had no letter from my bank informing me that the debt was being passed to anoter agency. how does this affect their, and my, rights?

4. ive not long spoken over the phone to someone from regal. do i have to provide and income/expenditure breakdown for them?

5. can they send an 'officer' to my home to discuss the debt without an appointment?

6. how does it affect my rights if they refuse my offer for repayment?

sorry this is such a long list, but im at my wits end and this is seriously affecting my health.

thanks in advance.

1/ they dont have it/acount put into dispute until they comply

2/ if they ignore a cca request and you have confirmed receipt by recorded delievery/acount in dispute/bog off till compliance

3/ send you bank an sar request

4/no,no,no,no/ never speak to a dca on the phone,allways in writing

5/ no,no, no,no just a threat as the norm

6/they refuse your offer of payment, if it goes to court a judge will prob award paying them less, its not in there interest unless you are a home owner

you dictate the terms on repayment

not the dca

Hi, welcome to CAG and try not to worry (much easier said than done). You will receive support and help. The first and most important piece of advice is do not talk to them on the phone. If they ring refuse to answer their security questions, it really infuriates them.

1. + 2. CCA request, if they have exceded the 12 + 2 days, send the letter in dispute letter.

3. O/draft isn't covered by CCA requests, but the loan is.

4. You ar not obliged to send an i + e form, only courts can demand these.

5. No

I'm posting a link to all the CAG letters, these will cover communicate only by writing, don't send anyone to address and account in dispute. The Consumer Forums - Debt collectors

When you get any replies post them here with your personal details removed.

Do not sign any letters, send recorded delivery and send postal orders instead of cheques.

thank you for the quick reply. this confirms what i suspected.

in fact the conversation earlier went like this:

she asked what benefit i claimed, i told her, she asked how much. i obviously didnt say. she then told me that shed hold the interest (hehe) til monday on the condition that i called them then (i dont appreciate threats, especially being mentally ill), and gave them my income/expenditure.

i then told her i didnt have to. straightaway she put on the school mistress act, and told me i did!....

'no i dont. and i wont be either.'

yes you do else well take you to court.

'no i dont and i ******* wont either' (yes i lost my temper this time, as ive not only been hounded for years but i wasnt taking her tone or threats).

2 minutes of this.

well take you to court then

'do it then. they cant take what i dont have'

3 minutes of this.

well send an officer to your house to discuss the debt (she kept trying to regain her composure but didnt half shout alot hehe).

'you wont. they can come but i wont answer and ill call the police'

2 minutes of this.

finally she used probably the saddest trick so far ive seen from a dca - told me i was breaking some telecoms law swearing at her and she was going to report me and have my parets phone cut off!

needless to say, i gave a short four and three word response and hung up.

proud of it? no. made me feel better? definitely.

im just sick of being threatened by faceless idiots from dcas.

You should have recorded the call as she was breaching numerous OFT guidlines and the CPUTR 2008!

i dont suppose anyone knows which ones do they? a plot is forming in my mind. as it happens we do have recording on our phone.

thanks :) feel a lot less anxious now. i do have one other question though regarding consumer credit agreements. what exactly are they with respect to credit cards, as looking around the forum it seems not many people have actually signed one when taking out a credit card?

is this part of the application or a separate form? how should it be written? are the rights and responsibilities clear to see, or i small print?

im confused as as far as i remember i never signed anything other than the credit card and loan agreements which were clearly labelled as such. i cannot find my copies just yet but im searching.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/105315-my-agreement-enforceable-useful.html

If you read this sticky, it'll advise you what must be included within an agreement. THe date it was taken out is important as there are different regs for newer ones.

I'm glad to see you are taking some pleasure from your phone calls, it helps to make you feel bit better.;)

also ive decided to test the cca request to see how low these people go.

would i be correct in assuming that a fake signature on the agreement is going to severely upset their legal grounds?

because the signature on the letter i sent isnt mine :D

Would be very interesting if they come back with a CCA with that on it :D;)

FRAUD is the term :D

if u want to answer be awkard dont confirm anything till they have told u who they are and were ther from and refuse the security just aying everything in writing over and over again. Not only does it annoy them u also get the pleasure of hearing them get huffy with u.

Try it without laughing cause after a few times it gets funny.

My convos use to go like this.

Them :Hello could i please speak to GodMother.

Me :Who is this?

Them : Dimwit from cap 1

Me: Everything in writing

Them : i cant do that till u have passed security

Me : Everything in writing

ETC

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

thank you for the quick reply. this confirms what i suspected.

in fact the conversation earlier went like this:

she asked what benefit i claimed, i told her, she asked how much. i obviously didnt say. she then told me that shed hold the interest (hehe) til monday on the condition that i called them then (i dont appreciate threats, especially being mentally ill), and gave them my income/expenditure.

i then told her i didnt have to. straightaway she put on the school mistress act, and told me i did!....

'no i dont. and i wont be either.'

yes you do else well take you to court.

'no i dont and i ******* wont either' (yes i lost my temper this time, as ive not only been hounded for years but i wasnt taking her tone or threats).

2 minutes of this.

well take you to court then

'do it then. they cant take what i dont have'

3 minutes of this.

well send an officer to your house to discuss the debt (she kept trying to regain her composure but didnt half shout alot hehe).

'you wont. they can come but i wont answer and ill call the police'

2 minutes of this.

finally she used probably the saddest trick so far ive seen from a dca - told me i was breaking some telecoms law swearing at her and she was going to report me and have my parets phone cut off!

needless to say, i gave a short four and three word response and hung up.

proud of it? no. made me feel better? definitely.

im just sick of being threatened by faceless idiots from dcas.

Simply refuse to answer security questions next time they ring...that will p*ss them off ;)

Well done on standing up for yourself - feels good eh? :D

The horrible witch you spoke to was obviously getting desperate that her commission target wasnt gonna be hit coz you werent gonna pay her :rolleyes:

update:

ok so these people dont listen do they? had a voice message on my parents phone. apparently vicky from their 'litigation' department (same office, phone number is one digit out) tells me i must call them back IMMEDIATELY (she really stresses this - it seems she believes this is urgent), otherwise theyre sending an 'officer' to my home soon to discuss this.

just to be clear...

i have NEVER had any letter from regal, regarding anything.

i have NEVER had any letter from nat west informing me of re-assignment of the debt to regal.

i seriously didnt appreciate the way i was spoken to by them before (See above).

i do not want any 'officer' calling here (my parents home) and ive told them this. in fact sending one here is not good for my health at all, so i hope they realise i will be calling the police if this person does arrive here.

getting extremely angry with these people now.

any advice on how to play this?

also, as ive had no letter im not sending any cca request yet. good or bad move?