Should I stay or should I go go...

jamesharris343
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning All,

Currently on JSA (approx 2.5 years) and seeing a work programme provider that's driving me nuts and receive help towards my mortgage interest + council tax.

First question. Can I sign off for a few weeks (a holiday if you will) and live with my sister that's happy to support me and in return look after her kids while she has an operation. Then sign back on with no fuss- or is it a case of once I sign off I cannot sign back on for x months?

Secondly- how long do you have to be off, before when you do go back- you start again on the system and not where you left off. I.e. a year of normality without all the WP rubbish.

I am seeking work btw- but suffering with depression/anxiety which is leading to massive sleep problems and with a 11 month left driving ban hanging over me- my normal career path is screwed (CCNA Engineer). I have worked all my life- benefits is not a chosen path.

Thanks for your time,

James

There is nothing to stop you from signing off if you can afford the financial implications - You will (probably) lose the mortgage relief, but the council will still provide CT benefits as long as you make a nil income declaration. To reclaim JSA without having to return to the WP provider, you'd have to wait a while - It used to be thirteen weeks, but I believe the rules changed once you get attached to the Work Programme. If you have already completed 18 months of WP, any reclaim within six months would see you returning. The WP lasts for two years, and the clock starts ticking from the day you have your first "appointment". Fortunately, the clock does not stop when you close your claim for any reason (such as finding a temporary job).

A couple of alternatives:

You are permitted to take holidays within the UK without signing off - You'd be limited to two weeks per year, and you'd still need to be actively looking for work and able to return if offered employment - Talk to your JCP adviser about this.

Or you could transfer your claim to a JCP office in the area where your sister lives - Your current WP provider would still have to provide "support" (sic), but if they do not have an office in that area, any contact would have to be in writing or by phone. You would lose any mortgage relief and the council would probably charge you full CT as a second home unless you have another adult in residence.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Alternatively if your depression and anxiety are causing you real problems then ask your doctor to provide a fit note and start claiming ESA. That way you'd continue to receive the same benefits as you currently get on JSA, but without the hassle of having to sign on or attend the work programme.

Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.

As GG says HOWEVER that is true only for the assessment phase only.

The Assessment Phase could throw u back to JSA, put you in the MWA group or the support group.

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

As GG says HOWEVER that is true only for the assessment phase only.

The Assessment Phase could throw u back to JSA, put you in the MWA group or the support group.

Very true, the assessment phase will be for at least 13 weeks, but given the current delays the average time to get an assessment is running at about 8 - 10 months.

Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.

I am on the assesment phase of ESA and it is currently runnig at around 5 months. Not sure what the wait time is or if it is based geographically or not. My advice would be to close JSA and get a docs note and start on ESA AP immediately

Thank you all for your replies.

Mr. P- If I was to scrap the whole JSA/ESA thing all together- How do I go about trying for mortgage/ct support- is this done directly through my local council offices? If these could be paid I'd sooner just do that.

Alternatively GG- If I do need ESA for ct/mortgage I am sure with my history my doctor would have no problem writing a sick note. How do I move over to ESA? Or is it a case of leaving JSA and starting a fresh with an ESA application? I must admit that the hassle and stress of starting a new application doesn't enspire me. Catch 22 of depression:(

Thanks, James

Council tax relief is handled by your local council, so any application would need to be done through them. As for help with the mortgage, I can't offer any advice.

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Very true, the assessment phase will be for at least 13 weeks, but given the current delays the average time to get an assessment is running at about 8 - 10 months.

The 13 week 'rule' no longer exists, the DWP have deemed the assessment phase is open ended. This came about as a result of welfare advisors successfully getting back dated payments of ESA from the end of week 13 at tribunal for claimants that had waited for months for the WCA.

Obviously the DWP were somewhat miffed over this, and as they cannot overturn tribunal decisions they decided to move the goalposts. The cash savings were on balance quite minimal, and the lengthy waiting times causing financial hardship to claimants overlooked, but we have come to expect nothing less from the DWP.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.