To be stolen or not?

hog-man80
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3394 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son bought a motorcycle without a V5, but with an index number, about eight weeks ago.

He applied for and received a V5 about three weeks ago.

The police called today and said the bike was stolen, and they took it away.

Is this lawful and does my son have any recourse for his loss.

The bike was bought on ebay.

Regards Paul.

yes section 75 or chargeback

get ebay onboard too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi hog-man80

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened (purchased motorcycle) how they have let you down (listed stolen motorcycle) and what you want them to do (refund the money). Send a copy of the receipt the police have given you with your letter.

Send it to :-

Ms Tanya Lawler

Managing Director

ebaylink3.gif UK

[email protected]

As the guys have said Section 75 and Chargeback are an option provided you meet the requirements to make a claim.

He paid cash for the bike. Should the Police have given him a receipt as they took the bike, or will that come later? There was still some info regarding the sale on ebay which he passed on to the Police. It all happened so quickly we didn't really know how to respond or what his rights are.

Paul.

I can not invisage the police taking property and not leaving a receipt. You need to call them and get proof of collection, who collected it and a reference number.

He paid cash for the bike. Should the Police have given him a receipt as they took the bike, or will that come later? There was still some info regarding the sale on ebay which he passed on to the Police. It all happened so quickly we didn't really know how to respond or what his rights are.

Paul.

The policeman is real, as I have seen him about locally over the years.

He seemed happy with my sons account of what happened, but

he returned today, and said that as the alleged offence had occurred in another county,

that police force wanted a written statement, which has been done.

I asked him if my son should have a receipt, and he said no because he should not of had the bike.

I asked him why would DVLA send a V5 to my son and the policeman said as to not arouse suspicion

so that they can visit the person applying for the V5.

• 3 months later...

There has been a development to this situation. The police officer involved in the case called my son, to say that the original owner could not be found, and that the motorcycle may be returned to my son. Should we rejoice and be satisfied that what we thought was my sons property, is indeed so, or is he perhaps entitled to some compensation, for this messing about he has endured.

Paul.

I would say that if any compensation was due that it would be from the seller and not the authorities.

They did their job, the bike was reported stolen, they recovered it, they haven't done anything wrong.

As with any lost/stolen property after a time, if a claim isn't made, the item is returned to the finder/buyer.

The police did the right thing. The bike was never your son's property - it was someone else's property and the fact that it had changed hands since being stolen doesn't change that fact. Unfortunately this is one of the risks of buying a second hand vehcile from someone you don't know - especially without a V5.

Your son does have a claim - but against the bloke who sold him the bike rather than against the police. Whether it's worth pursuing that claim depends on whether there's any realistic prospect of getting money out of this dodgy bloke who sells stolen bikes - I'd suggest probably not.